Kings County, Hosted by Kurt Andersen

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Kings County logo

Join Kurt Andersen for three evenings of standup comedy, live music and incisive interviews.

Kings County was created by WNYC’s Kurt Andersen (Studio 360 with Kurt Andersen) and Steve Bodow, co-executive producer of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, with writing led by Paul Simms (The New Yorker, Flight of the Conchords, NewsRadio). The shows will spotlight incisive interviews, standup comedy and music performances with folks who emanate the spirit, if not the zip code, of the taste-making, hip-shaking borough.

What’s in Kings County? The next band to put on your iPod. The next app to put on your iPhone. A visit to Kings County will take you to the hottest young comics and offer a first listen of emerging musicians, along with audio gags waiting to go viral and a look into the current golden age of DIY city living. Artisanal mayonnaise? Mayors of the block? Pet pigs? Yeah, we’ve got that, too.

LISTEN | Hear the Shows

Follow Kings County on Facebook >

Tags:

More in:

Kurt is easy to appreciate in his other adventures and Kristen Schaal is fun on Jon Stewart. But Kristen needs to be seen to be appreciated because her voice alone is grating. King's County overlooks our beloved Manhattan and indeed is another wonderful cultural addition to our area but can America handle the rambling on about "local" stuff. Prairie Home Companion King's County is not.

Jul. 22 2012 08:28 PM
Roger B from Kings County

Again no no how much more of this lame tripe do we have to endure..
It's almost worse than that awful tired Garrison Keillor show

I am hoping this is just a summer thing.. When did NPR sweaterness become hip... answer.. never.. it's not hip.!! Unless those trendsetters with the little lyrical moustaches are sitting around on Sunday evenings with their feet tucked into tweed slippers smoking pipes and dunking their cookies in herbal tea.

The only thing worse would be if you switched it with that awful "On Being" with Krista Tippet which mercifully is on when most of us are sleeping off Saturday nights gorge.

Ok Ok rant over.. I am beginning to sound like a Downfall parody.. Hitler sits down head hung low slowly shaking his head... "Well I don't know.. what did I expect.. it's NPR after all..."

Jul. 22 2012 07:06 PM
Patricia Fernandez-Kelly from Princeton, NJ

You asked for comments about Kings County and here they are: I love the concept. Thoroughly enjoyed today's program featuring one of my favorites, Kristen Schaal. I'd love this wonderful new program to become a regular feature of public radio.

I love Studio 360 too.

Lots of luck to you and yours.

Jul. 21 2012 02:54 PM
Mark Lipman from Wellington, New Zealand

Great show! I'm an ex-New Yorker with Brooklyn roots living in New Zealand.
I felt alsmost as if I was there in Brooklyn. I love Lucy's B'klyn accent! Makes me homesick.
Thanks for the great entertainment.

Jul. 13 2012 10:02 PM
Susan Altman from Midwood

I really don't like this show being called Kings County. I am a 52 year old native, and I don't think the borough is best represented by snobs who got priced out of Manhattan.

I wouldn't mind representation from Brownstone Brooklyn on a show named Kings County, but I don't think this show does anything to widen WNYC's listenership.

My sympathies to the other outer bourough's Kurt some time disses.

He is insufferable.

Jul. 13 2012 09:52 PM
Gina Barnes from Denton, Texas

I attended 2 of the King's County shows, but could not think of a tag line. Now I have one: "where culture reigns and city views rule".

Jun. 30 2012 09:57 AM