Making the Case Against Extraordinary Rendition

Monday, April 30, 2012

James Goldston, head of the Open Society Justice Initiative, talks about arguing a landmark court case in front of The European Court of Human Rights in May. Khaled El-Masry, a German citizen, alleges that he was abducted in Macedonia in 2004, flown to Afghanistan, interrogated there and then later released in Albania. It’s the first case to be heard about alleged abuses arising from the CIA’s policy of extraordinary rendition.

James Goldston

Jonella from Lonely Iggorant Boondox of Sullivan County, NY

I, too, feel ashamed of my country for this hideous treatment of an innocent person. I also believe we should not treat ANYONE with beatings and torture and detention in a dark, damp, putrid smelling cell. How hideous! How medieval! It's shocking and disgusting and shameful. This is behavior that human kind should have left behind a long time ago.

Apr. 30 2012 01:25 PM

Hello,

Please do another show about this man:

Best

Apr. 30 2012 01:14 PM
bob

Please talk about the extraordinary rendition of ( I forget the individuals name ) to Egypt and was the sole evidence for the invasion of Iraq.

Apr. 30 2012 12:55 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Was Mr. El-Masry treated decently up until his transfer to the CIA plane? Who handled the transfer, Macedonian or US officials? It's a horrible story, & no one should be treated that way, but I'd like to know specifically who was responsible for what.

And is there something regular US citizens can do about this? Does the Open Society or another group have a petition or a drive to contact a particular agency?

Thank you for making this public.

Apr. 30 2012 12:54 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

To my memory, the guest on 60 Minutes last night said nothing that could be construed as endorsing mistaken identity rendition. Whether we approve of the techniques or not, he spoke only about methods used for extracting information from the prisoners.

Apr. 30 2012 12:50 PM

The behavior of US makes me sick and embarrassed to be an American. Shame on us! We are stupid and cruel.

Apr. 30 2012 12:49 PM
Jonah from Hudson, NY

This is a horrible story, and I'm so glad this gentleman is doing something about it. But I'm wondering if he and his organization are doing anything to advocate for military detainee abuse and torture. From what I understand, the military was involved in hundreds, if not thousands, of cases of prisoner abuse and torture, and yet there has been scarcely any accountability. I just read about this in the book, "None of Us Were Like This Before," and was really shocked by the scope of US torture and abuse - how little we know, and how little has been done to address it.

Apr. 30 2012 12:47 PM