L.A. Uprising 20 Years Later

Friday, April 27, 2012

Tricia Rose,  professor of Africana Studies at Brown University and author of The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop-And Why It Matters, discusses race in America 20 years after the L.A. violence stemming from the Rodney King verdict. Gary Phillipswriter, activist, South Central native, contributor to Dr. Pop, and author of several books, including Violent Spring, his mystery novel set in the aftermath of '92, joins the conversation.

Gary Phillips and Tricia Rose
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Debbie Ray from Mendham

Can you imagine if Obama's grandfather, like Romney's, was a polygamist? Or, if like Palin, his daughter was a teen-aged, unmarried mother? There is the racism in America...

Oct. 24 2012 10:49 AM
Pepsi_cola from Hoboken

Way to excuse the violence against Korean grocers.
To address the points.
1) No one "gave" Korean immigrants these opportunities, certainly not banks. All those small grocers were community financed by fellow Koreans.
2) It should be fair? Black should have grocers in Korean town? Seriously? Koreans don't want to own business there, no one does, it was the only place they could afford.

Sorry for the rant, but this brought back flash back of the 80s. When a local grocer in my local Flatbush was shot in the face, and the TV news went on for 10 minutes about how the Korean brought it themselves by not looking customers in the eye and harass shop lifters.

Apr. 28 2012 10:14 AM

I was living near South Central LA and teaching at UCLA 20 years ago. I experienced the riots first hand. This was not an "uprising". This was a 5 day long riot, fueled in part because the police sat back and watched. Too many people took advantage of a bad situation for their own personal gain.
During these five days, I joined several different groups of local citizens trying to help anyway we could. I helped put out fires. I helped deliver baby formula to mothers too afraid to go outside. I helped shovel rubble out of the streets so ambulances and fire trucks could pass.
I saw no sense in any of the destruction, no goal, nothing to be gained by any of it; there was only one choice we each had to make: whether to be part of the destruction, or be part of any kind of hope that it could be stopped from ever happening again.

Ask yourself how you would react if suddenly in one night there were over 3000 fires in New York City? If the City failed to respond adequately and after 5 days, more than 6000 buildings had burned? (That's what happened in LA according to the LA Times).

What would you do during these events? Reflect on how an uprising was inevitable? Break a window and steal something you can't normally get enough of?

Apr. 28 2012 12:47 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

THE TRUTH FROM BECKY: Don't know how wise I am. Just seeking real, productive discourse here...And MONICA FROM NYC, yes, the history of black/immigrant relations would be a choice topic.

Apr. 27 2012 08:11 PM
Monica from NYC

I have been casually reading about the LA Riots and its history though various Korean American centered publications like Koream Magazine for about a month. From these brief readings, the topic of concern has been mostly about the Korean community and how they have come to understand/not understand what happened, as many of them were immigrants.

It seems as though today's show was also about trying to discuss what happened and how things have/have not changed since the riots.

I felt compelled to comment on today's show because: What I haven't seemed to understand from my own musings of reading about the Riots and today's show was how both forums seem to glaze over the actual issues of race and class--and how both race and class serve to polarize two non-white communities. Today's show tried to tie in Trayvon Martin and OWS, but it was over ambitious.

I was excited to hear today's show because I'm a fan of the BL show and because the LA Riots don't seem to be discussed that often outside of academic settings (or even LA). But I was quickly and really disappointed from the lack of consideration of the guests and moderation. Why wasn't a Korean American AND/or a Latino/a considered to be part of today's discussion?

It's easy to talk about the looting, the fires, and the violence that many people witnessed comfortably from their TV's. What's not easy to talk about is why the looting and the violence occurs.

Apr. 27 2012 06:24 PM
David from Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Rodney King's comment that "it's easy to kill a black kid and get away with it"

In fact, it's easy to kill anyone without power and connections and get away with it.

A women was fatally shot by a police officer in Culpeper, Virginia and it was TEN WEEKS before the cop's name was even released. Information is being parceled out with an eye dropper - something really smells about this case.

Google culpeper va police shooting

Apr. 27 2012 04:22 PM
Marc from Brooklyn

from The Truth from Becky

"of course that was directed at Marc, in typical fashion who felt like he needed to explain "sarcasm" to me, me, I who called him out without ever seeing his face or hearing his voice...I total up about 10 minutes of my life wasted . . . . "

You're right: it is a waste. It's a total waste explaining to someone how they are, in fact, their own worst enemy. I'm not the one selling drugs. I'm not the one committing violence. I'm not the one propagating STD's. I'm not the one fathering dozens of children out of wedlock. I'm not the one spending his rent money on Air Jordans. I'm just a work-a-day Joe. And for that -- according to some -- I'm supposed to feel guilt.

Go ahead. Tell me how racist how I am. Perhaps you'll tell me next how I didn't see these things. They're all figments of my imagination.

Was Albert Einstein right, that insanity is the belief that if you keep doing the same thing, you'll somehow arrive at a different result?

Apr. 27 2012 02:21 PM
The Truth from Becky

Fuva, I too am learning to laugh at the ignorance...I have only made it to a chuckle and a head shake...I admire your wisdom.

Apr. 27 2012 02:06 PM
Sarah from NYC

Re: THE L.A. RIOTS

I had moved there recently, and being a New Yorker (generally not afraid of people-we interact with all sorts on a daily basis), I took my lousy car into nearby Koreatown to take photos.

This was a riot NOT an uprising.

What do you think the first thing gone from the supermarkets was? LIQUOR! It wasn't Pampers or baby formula. Koreatown was filled mostly with little Latina ladies with this astounded "We're actually ALLOWED to do this?" wonderment look on their faces as they stole from the stores. If there had been one cop outside, NONE of them would have ever broken the law. It was like a joyous occasion! An unbelievable opportunity.

Yes, there were rotten marauding men there, all drunk as skunks. But they did not make up the general population who were ravaging the stores.

It was simply a riot where normally law abiding citizens took advantage of the opportunity, GIVEN them by L.A. County's decision to remove any police, to steal. There was no one passing out pamphlets on how to better the community, effect change in the government or justice system, unify the community to right wrongs. No one was ravaging a bookstore or seeking information on how to make a difference.

I. Magnum, an upscale Bloomingdales like dept. store, was also broken into. I too would like a years supply of Chanel, but stealing from there doesn't help support the idea of an "uprising".

L.A. cops are lousy. So are the courts there. They're afraid of people. They can't differentiate a dangerous situation from one that simply needs a little discourse to be handled. They don't discern where being an helpful intermediary is all that's needed to resolve an incident, from true danger necessitating physical force. They go right for brute thinking and brute force. Thug mentality.

We New Yorkers literally walk among all sorts of ethnicities and ages. We are not afeard of different people; of people in general. In L.A. you go from apt. to car to place to car to home. There is no contact with anyone. People you don't know may be scary... There's no occasion to experience anything different.

There is no question about the illegality of the judgement that sparked the riots. I'm just clarifying that what occurred after the judgement came down was a RIOT. It was in NO WAY an uprising.

Sarah

Apr. 27 2012 02:04 PM
The Truth from Becky

of course that was directed at Marc, in typical fashion who felt like he needed to explain "sarcasm" to me, me, I who called him out without ever seeing his face or hearing his voice...I total up about 10 minutes of my life wasted on Marc trying to put the mirror to his face and make him see who he really is, but he knows, so I guess I wanted the rest of the world (board) here to know...I mean this dude believes only his ancestors fought in union blue...aggghh there is 10 minutes of my life wasted that, I can't get back! smh...lol

Apr. 27 2012 02:01 PM
The Truth from Becky

Thank you for showing "your true colors"!

Apr. 27 2012 01:55 PM
fuva from Harlemworld

So MARC, you think your forefathers donned 'Union Blue' as a favor to black folk?

BRIAN AND PRODUCERS: Possible to get a segment on the reasons for the Civil War and black participation in it?

Apr. 27 2012 01:34 PM
Marc from Brooklyn

from The Truth from Becky

"Marc, of course not, that would make me just like you and your forefathers."

Funny you should mention them, 'cause I was just telling them the other day what a monumental waste ot was for them to don Union blue.

Yeah, that was sarcasm, but you've earned it.

Apr. 27 2012 01:01 PM
fuva from Harlemworld

SANYCH -- 'slaves rarely worked hard or were very productive.'?
MARC/ CALLS'EM/ THE REST -- Do you agree with the above statement?

BRIAN AND PRODUCERS -- It would be great if we could get a cross-section of reputable researchers on sometime to discuss
• Whether enslaved people in America worked hard, were productive or drove American economic development
• The economic reasons for the Civil War
• The historical relationship between blacks and immigrants; specifically, blacks attitudes toward immigrants (and poor whites), and vice versa
• Riots and the destruction of local neighborhoods
• The disproportionately high black crime rate

It's so much ignorance behind the insanity. It really does not bode well for us...

(And Marc, a statement about the black experience is not ipso facto valid because it's made by a black person. We can be ignant too.)

Apr. 27 2012 01:00 PM
fuva from Harlemworld

LOL. To keep steam out my ears, I'm learning to laugh at pervasive race ignorance. Nevertheless, in good faith...

Marc from Brooklyn: What details do you know about the 'dehumanizing regime depicted...by Frederick Douglass'? What were the effects of these -- socioeconmically, psychologically, if any? Do these 'dim' 'as time passes'? If so, how? What do you know about intergenerational transfer? Look it up...It may have been General Sherman who said something like "the freedmen have nothing because all they have gotten is freedom". Even his racist ass knew, ONE HUNDRED FIFTY years ago, that it would be nearly impossible for blacks to thrive under a regime STILL CONTROLLED BY PEOPLE WHO HATE THEM, who had a 275 year head start, in which they could leverage, pass down and compound their advantage. Ergo the '40 acres and a mule' proposal for blacks and other Freedmen's Bureau policies aimed at counteracting damages (socioeconomic, not psychosocial) accumulated over centuries of brutality, so that the Civil Rights Act could be effective. But these were aborted. And 100 years later -- after 100 more years of brutality -- another Civil Rights Act was enacted, offering 'freedom' without addressing accumulated damage that would make that 'freedom' accessible...Today, we acknowledge that active duty soldiers suffer and must be treated for post traumatic stress syndrome, but the stress and trauma of 400-500 years is expected to magically 'dim'.

What you're actually positing, Marc/Calls'em/etc., is that black people in America are inherently inferior. But you're too cowardly to state this plainly. You either believe that the black experience is not singular or that experience doesn't matter. Unfortunately for you, proving your theory would seem to require the scientific method, which requires apples and apples; you'd have to correct for experiential difference, which you cannot do, because you're unfortunately oblivious to it.

This obliviousness, ignorance is what demands address. And it's about time, because delusional optimism (versus realist optimism) and other dubious approaches have not worked.

Apr. 27 2012 12:37 PM
bernie from bklyn

just a couple things to keep all of this in context-
1- black people have certainly been the victims of racism but all of that oppression has obviously not had any effect on the behavior of black people in this country. black people are extremely racist towards other races. this is true...ask any korean grocer or hasidic jew or mexican deli worker or any white guy etc,etc...
2-no one hurts black people more than other black people.
3- other races are victimized by young black men EVERYDAY on the streets of nyc because of their race. why are these never considered bias crimes as well?
4- why do riots always involve wrecking their own neighborhood?

Apr. 27 2012 11:47 AM
The Truth from Becky

Marc, of course not, that would make me just like you and your forefathers.

Apr. 27 2012 11:45 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Marx claimed that religion is the opium of the masses. Nope. Beer and marijuana are.

Apr. 27 2012 11:40 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

from fuva from Harlemworld

"Clearly, this segment did not foster productive discourse, despite what I'm sure was Brian's good intentions. And it's not just the fault of the 2-3 regular clueless trolls. As a society, we don't really want to broach this subject and, as a result, are way too ignorant of it..."

So let me get this straight, 'cause I get hit in the head a lot: because I don't agree with you, I'm either a "clueless troll," or suffering from some kind of self-reinforcing delusion?

Would you care to address how opinions stated by Bill Cosby and Alvin Poussaint in recent years might apply to the subjects we've been discussing here?

from The Truth from Becky

"Marc, you cannot distract me that easily sir...I did not 'suggest'
anything, I made a clear statement directly to you."

Does the color of my skin automatically invalidate my opinion in your eyes?

Apr. 27 2012 11:37 AM
sanych

It's pretty funny that this discussion about race was followed by another segment with a joke by Joe Biden about Obama's "big stick". Somehow, I did not hear any protests...

Few comments:

@fuva - slaves rarely worked hard or were very productive. That's why the slavery, as a system, was replaced. Otherwise, we would still have it.

@Opal - I guess, it is never too late to learn.

@Brian Lehrer - I think it is time to have a segment on black racism, entitlements, manipulation of news in order to stir-up racial tensions a la Treyvon Martin case, and so on. I think that - like Titanic - we are heading toward something big.

Apr. 27 2012 11:31 AM
The Truth from Becky

OPAL, Feather in your cap, from your own statement "discrimination is discrimination, only feeds more discrimination" I agree, wonder where it all got started?

Apr. 27 2012 11:25 AM
The Truth from Becky

Marc, you cannot distract me that easily sir...I did not "suggest" anything, I made a clear statement directly to you.

Apr. 27 2012 11:23 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

Brian and producers: If you continue to present segments on race, I think they may need to be more specific. E.g., what did the Civil Rights Act change and not change about black life? Is the white/black income/opportunity divide real? If so, what's behind it? Why do immigrant businesses thrive in the black community? Are there substantial differences between the black and immigrant American experiences? ETC. We need blanks filled in.

Apr. 27 2012 11:20 AM
Calls'em from At the range

This board doesn't deserve this, but everyone in LE - FBI, ATF, LAPD and others know that the LA riots were planned by the major gangs to loot the area gun stores. They stole over 10,000 firearms 50% of which were recovered - usually at crime scenes or through arrests by 1999. I don't have the final stat, but I assume that 80-90% have been recovered by now. The major gangs - Bloods & Crips started the riots as cover, knowing full well that it would tie up all LE assets and allow them to do there thing. As New Orleans showed, the opportunity for "instant credit" is a powerful attraction in the "entitlement" communities. Note also that gang murders were committed in 1992, the investigation of which would be lost in the sauce of the riots.

Apr. 27 2012 11:16 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To Fuva

What am I wishing? I wish for peace and hope, but its just wishing on a star. People don't change except to try to be more understanding, but nobody can change the fact that life is inherently unfair. No amount of government is going to do that. Nor will riots and uprisings. That will just bring the whole country down, and no one will benefit except America's enemies. What am I missing Fuva?

Apr. 27 2012 11:15 AM
Opal S. from NYC

I am an 80 year old white woman who was brought up in Brooklyn in a racially and ethnically diverse neighborhood but mostly white. Over the years I have had black and white friends. I have fought injustices of all kinds my whole life and participated in a civilian disobedience action in the Amadou Diallo case. Marched in the Abner Louima police brutality case. Demonstrated on numerous occasions in protests, most recently in the Trayvon Martin case.

What I have to say may offend some people. I find that I am being discriminated against by some African-American people on numerous occassions. Mostly young women who seem very angry but also by some males. I can understand the anger, there's plenty to be angry about but I don't think the anger is serving them and may be doing them more harm than good. What I like to say is discrimination is discrimation and only feeds more discrimination.

I don't know the answers but I felt I had to get this out of my system.

Opal

Apr. 27 2012 11:07 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

to The Truth from Becky:

The truth knows no color.

Or are you suggesting that it does?

Apr. 27 2012 11:05 AM
The Truth from Becky

Marc, that mini rant and "get over it" speech tells me that you are not Black.

Apr. 27 2012 11:00 AM
Calls'em from At the range

The Uniform Crime Statistics reveal that 90+% of Black and Latino murders are committed by - wait for it - Black and Latino murderers. On the other hand while being only 12% of the US population Blacks commit about 55+% of the murders and violent crime in the US. From 1976 to 2005 -- 86% of white victims were killed by whites -- 94% of black victims were killed by blacks. http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/race.cfm -- So, Brian - stop adding fuel to the race war issue. This issue is further clouded by the fact that DOJ merged Latinos in with whites in 1985 or 86 to blur the wild disparity between black and white levels of murder and violent crime. Almost all blacks murdered by whites are involved in other felonies like drug dealing, while most of the 45,000 whites murdered by Blacks in the past 30 years were innocent people - the victims of felonies committed by Blacks. We are all entitled to our opinions, but not to made up facts. Brian - tell the truth!

Apr. 27 2012 10:59 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

To fuva from Harlemworld:

I do believe that you've answered your own question. Immigrants are worried about achieving success today: far too many African-Americans are still using history as an excuse for failure today. (I seem to recall that point made quite plainly by Spike Lee once.) Very few, if any, people living today knew any who were alive before 1865, who lived under the dehumanizing regime depicted in graphic detail by Frederick Douglass. As time passes, "Jim Crow" will equally dim. At what point do the injuries of the past get left in the past?

Or should dining on ashes be an appropriate modus viviendus for an entire people?

Apr. 27 2012 10:57 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

jgarbuz, you wish.

Apr. 27 2012 10:56 AM
The Truth from Becky

Tiesha, I pray you never find out, how incorrect you are my dear.

Apr. 27 2012 10:53 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I've lived through EVERYTHING that happened in NYC since 1949, including having little family business that just barely escaped a couple of riots in inncer city Brooklyn. I've spent more than half my life living in black neighborhoods and have experienced everything from every angle. My only conclusion are these: (a) there is no hope, because times may change but people don't; b) generally speaking, birds of a feather will flock together, especially when times are tough; (c) entrepreneurship is the only possible way any community can pull itself up to a certain extent, but owning a business, as john from office says, is a non-stop 7 day ordeal and certainly not for everyone. Most people will have to work for someone else in their lives. I don't know what "structural changes" can be made that haven't been already. Life is inherently unfair and hard, and everyone has his own cross to bear, so as the movie "Life of Bryan" suggested, always look at the bright side of life even while your hanging on your cross.

Apr. 27 2012 10:50 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

Marc from Brooklyn:
You are comparing the experiences of people who have worked the hardest for the least in America for 500 years to newly arrived immigrants, and you don't get the absurdity of that. You don't ask why, to begin with, blacks and immigrants are even economic competitors.

Apr. 27 2012 10:48 AM
Jillian

I was living in Israel 20 years ago and vividly recall the headline "Intifada in California"

Apr. 27 2012 10:45 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

Question is, will we actually positively leverage the Trayvon debacle with substantive, penetrating race discourse? Or will we continue to cowardly avoid it, as we did after the L.A. uprising?

Ongoing race terror, disproportionate black crime and all legacies of 400 years need address. And while I see more black people willing to talk about it than whites, both races continue to duck discussion -- because it is generally unpleasant, but also out of fear of confronting inferiority and superiority complexes...

We can try to avoid it all we want. But it's not just gonna go away. And we will continue to suffer.

Apr. 27 2012 10:43 AM
Cliff from Queens

Being muslim is the new black in America,
Thanks to Rep. King and the NYPD.

Apr. 27 2012 10:43 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

A good example of race phenomena under-addressed and around which there is widespread ignorance: Immigrants who come to America to leverage economic opportunity and access that was largely forged in black blood, but who, toward that end, are ignorantly willing to perpetuate racism.

Apr. 27 2012 10:43 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

Nah, "Tiesha". No way have yall "gotten over race issues". You're just oblivious. But it can't last.

Apr. 27 2012 10:42 AM
The Truth from Becky

Clearly America, or at least some of New York, is too immature for this conversation. I mean, I haven't heard the term "the man" used in more than 20 years!

Apr. 27 2012 10:41 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Yes Tiesha - 17 year old Trevorn Martin certainly "got over it" - Uh, thank god - now you can go back to your facebook page Tiesha.

Apr. 27 2012 10:41 AM
Marc from Brooklyn

I'm listening to this guff, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I grew up in Bushwick in the 1970's and '80's, and I don't recall ANY African-American owned and operated businesses (as opposed to West Indian owned and operated) in my youth. The immigrant-proprietors secure financing not from banks or government agencies, but from each other: through "tontines" that they all contribute to periodically. Do African-Americans participate in tontines? I also remember the 1977 Blackout, and how the whole of Broadway's retail community was wiped out, and left abandoned for twenty years. Nowadays folks gripe that there's no fresh produce retailers in neighborhoods like Bushwick, conveniently forgetting events like the Blackout and the '92 riots. Why on earth would anyone in their right minds establish a business in a place like Bushwick or South Central? Who in his right mind would insure it? It's very convenient to blame "The Man," but after all of these years it still hasn't substantively improved standards of living in places like Bushwick. Here's a novel idea: exercising some measure of personal responsibility might.

Apr. 27 2012 10:38 AM
The Truth from Becky

john - I know many of Black entrepreneurs, that is to say "own their own businesses". That huge sweeping generalization makes anything else you say of no merit and not worth my time so....here forward you and your comments are invisible to me.

Apr. 27 2012 10:38 AM
tom from lic

Is there any room for humor on this topic? Living in Montreal, I remember my mother on the phone telling me how serious the matter was, like the riots decades before in Watts -- as well as in our city of Buffalo. President Bush was going to LA to make a speech. Expressing her distrust she said "He better wear a bullet proof vest and a tin hat."

Apr. 27 2012 10:35 AM

How surprising to see your comments deteriorating into stereotyping and racism...

Apr. 27 2012 10:34 AM
Tiesha from Brooklyn

ugh.. enough. people like us 20 somethings or younger have gotten over these race issues, but it seems like the establishment (either liberal or old guard) won't let us move past it. All this does is indoctrinate a new generation into either feeling disenfranchised or baiting race issues. So tiresome!

Apr. 27 2012 10:33 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

And your flippant comment/observation a young black, excuse me - "African-American" kid with a stack of Air Jordans isn't going to change that.

Apr. 27 2012 10:32 AM
The Truth from Becky

What sticks out to me still is the white guy that was pulled from the semi, pointless..and what has changed then until now, nothing except the participants.

Apr. 27 2012 10:31 AM
The Truth from Becky

A riot is a riot....kind of like what the white students on campus when Sandusky was found out causing coach what's his name to lose his job (that he shouldn't have had at 80+ years old.) In all things, you will have opportunists that turn it into something else.

Apr. 27 2012 10:29 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

John, I'm not justifiying holiganism. South Central and its mostly minority residents is still suffering the consequenses. 98% of the "riot" was crimminal but the spark wasn't.

Apr. 27 2012 10:29 AM

John-

It's called awareness of privilege- not guilt. Clearly Brian is interested in these topics, as are many of his listeners.

Apr. 27 2012 10:29 AM
john from office

My parents owned a store in "the community", blacks dont open businesses nor do they want to. The community will not put in an 80 hour work week sorry.

Does Brown university have a Klezmer music studies department and a professor for that??

Apr. 27 2012 10:27 AM
john from office

Sheldon, I just get tired of some academic changing a riot into an uprising. The native Americans had uprisings, crime is crime.

Apr. 27 2012 10:20 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

John, I don't know what your point is but the cause of the riots were indeed political - of course the opportunists took over, that's what usually happens.

I remember most of the people stealing TV's the first few days weren't even black but Latino, did they want to send a message to the man too? I doubt it.

Apr. 27 2012 10:09 AM
sanych

I agree with the office John - it is definitely very Orwellian. The newspeak, "the one who controls the past, controls the future",and, yes, "Animal Farm".

Apr. 27 2012 10:08 AM
john from office

Wow, I just read the bios on the two guests. Brian way to go with a balanced analysis of the LA riots. We are about to hear how the heroic "uprising" spoke truth to power, by rioting, burning down the hood, robbing bodegas and stealing sneakers. A truly noble effort by the community.

Apr. 27 2012 08:57 AM
John from office

Brian, I remember a photo of a young african american male, during the "LA Uprising" running with a stack of AIR JORDANS, obviously exercising his political rights and giving voice to his political oppression!!, While of course getting some very nice kicks to wear. Ahhh, the benefits of an uprising!! Oh, did you remember the murder and arson that went on, during the "UPRISING".

Apr. 27 2012 08:31 AM
John from office

Brian, why don't you just broadcast your feelings a little louder. A riot!! is a riot!!, it is the lack of law and order. To call it an uprising, elevates stealing sneakers and TV's to a political act. The left is very good at using words to alter what happened, it was not a revolt, revolution or uprising, it was a riot, with murder, arson and chaos, with the occasional electronic item stolen for the homestead.

I have always said Brian cannot handle any issue involving race. Too liberal and filled with white guilt.

Apr. 27 2012 08:22 AM