Will the NYC GOP Find a Mayoral Candidate?

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly (Mario Tama/Getty Images)

No high profile Republican candidate has emerged as a favorite for next year's mayoral race. Azi Paybarah, reporter for Capital New York, and Doug Muzzio, professor of political science at Baruch College and host of "City Talk" on CUNY/TV, talk about the buzz surrounding an effort to draft Ray Kelly, and the leadership void in the local GOP.

Doug Muzzio and Azi Paybarah
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Caller Kat from Astoria

One of the reasons I called in this morning was to voice opinions of young NYers. To clarify,I'm not from the Midwest, never watched Felicity, and any rose-colored ideas have long vanished from view. At 31 years old and after 12 years of living here, this is what I know. New York City is the best city in the world and belongs to me as much as any old-timers calling or commenting here. It is also a wild, ungovernable beast with all kinds of people and problems. Who among the Democratic candidates could handle the city in a crisis? If there's a transit strike, will Quinn, DeBlasio, Liu, Silver etc. appease labor or will they side with straphangers and keep things moving? What if there's a riot? Who among them can bring both peace and order? Which Democrats would be so bold on quality of life issues? I don't miss graffiti on the trains or coming home from bars smelling like smoke. Do you? The old New York is just that, it belongs in the past. No mayor before Guiliani had to consider terrorism as a threat in the age of technology and despite many dismissive attitudes, this is a fact of my young life here. I want a mayor who will take charge and show both strength and compassion should a terrible event occur again. Guiliani and Bloomberg are not charming or perfect people and no mayor will ever be, but both of them harnessed power in Albany and Washington to help NY, something I don't see any of the Dems being able to do. My life here began in 1999; I've witnessed 9/11, been mugged, assaulted on the E train late at night, worked in a hotel where there was a high-profile murder, and escaped an office fire. Traumas for sure, but I'm not going anywhere because I'm a NYer and this is my home. Give me a candidate who will deliver efficient, cost-effective and safe transportation, knock out corruption in the MTA, demand better schools, maintain rent-stabilization, eliminate wasteful spending at city hall, encourage business and tourism, support arts and community organizations, innovate in recycling, and keep illegal guns out of here. I could go on with more but these issues matter most to me. If elected the Dems will give the house away and will likely appease instead of act. I had never considered Ray Kelly for mayor before the program this morning, but who else could actually accomplish good in this town that wants to? Independents, please stand up?

Apr. 26 2012 01:26 PM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

All of the leftie Dems running for Mayor will return the asylum back to the inmates....literally.
For the "progressive" fools who don't remember NYC before Giuliani/Bloomberg....it was a scary, declining city....and you won't like it if it comes back.
What smug, self-righteous self-destruction.

Apr. 26 2012 11:03 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

All these leftist "newbies" who came into the city with in the last two decades, or were born under 35 years ago, have no clue what this place was like in the '70s and '80s and up the Giuliani regime. I'd rather live in Beirut than live through that again. THey are a bunch of pussies. They've never been held up, mugged, or feared being outside after nightfall. They only know that in video games.

Can the city go back to those times? I hope not, but I never say never. But in the extreme Left again, and yes we'll have a return to those days and nights of horror again.

Apr. 26 2012 10:53 AM
alistair from manhattan

@bernie from bklyn

rudy was about a lot more than just crime. he's dismissive stance toward working and middle class peoples concerns was troubling. his combative positions with ethnic communities was deplorable. i thought of him as a flat track bully that instituted communal space closures, failed as Bloomberg did to do anything with the Hudson rail yards didn't improve the MTA service rendering for the publuc nor the schools in any measurable fashion. Sorry but just because the baddies aren't sticking people up anymore doesn't mean the city is 'better' just safer and they aren't the same.

Apr. 26 2012 10:44 AM
oscar from ny

Knowing the people of ny ..they should just allow bloomberg to stay there until he joins his maker.
Ps: the only good thing this person did was the cab situation...those racist cabbies never take anyone to other boriughs except manhattan..

Apr. 26 2012 10:42 AM
Paul from Manhattan

I would never vote for a Kelly nor any Republican - DeBlasio, Liu or Quinn are better in terms of their policy positions (I do not like Stringer - he was my state assemblyman and his constituent outreach sucked). I did not like Giuliani and dislike the plutocrat-oligarch Bloomberg. People say Bloomberg didn't owe any special interests anything, but he was his own special interest - he was interested in improving life for people living in the city who are part of his class of the oligarchy and is not really interested in the people living on middle and lower incomes. Being an ally to Wall Street and the real estate industry is not a positive thing.

Apr. 26 2012 10:29 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Note to Doug Muzzio: Try not to refer to women candidates' looks. That's not relevant.

Apr. 26 2012 10:28 AM
bernie from bklyn

@alistair- the city is supposed to be "rough and tumble"? tell me that when someone has the muzzle of a gun in your mouth....it's much better now, even if that means more yahoos from the midwest.

Apr. 26 2012 10:27 AM
ddbk

I nominate Donald Trump

Apr. 26 2012 10:25 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

Caller Kat is off. Guiliani wasn't entrenched in the political system of favors? Please...We need development and crime reduction, but NOT the way Bloomberg and Guiliani went about it. Bloomberg had some good qualities, but they are not the models.

Apr. 26 2012 10:23 AM

How has Bloomberg made "independent" decisions when he uses his government power to coddle his corporate customers - tax breaks, zoning, contracting decisions, etc.????

The caller who moved from NJ has rose-colored vision of the pay-to-play of Giuliani & Bloomberg.

Apr. 26 2012 10:21 AM
alistair from manhattan

Spitzer is a good shout for mayor! I think the previous caller about Rudy is the reason why her parents let her come here is part of the issue. NYC is losing it's soul, it's cultural activity, it's ethnic diversity has regressed to economic segregation because of policies like brought forth like Rudy.

NYC is meant to be rough and tumble not a safe haven for curious mid-westerns that grew up watching Felicity!

Apr. 26 2012 10:21 AM
Nick from UWS

Ray Kelly for mayor? I've never heard of something so absurd. He's a humorless ultra-authoratarian cop with all charm of a potato. He's a COP, a military guy. A very narrow skill set. He doesn't have NEARLY the human bandwith to represent an entity as overpowering and complex as New York City.

Apr. 26 2012 10:21 AM
John from NYC

It's a cycle. Democratic policies lead to high crime and financial ruin. Sanity comes in, things get better. Then people forget and are suckered back into Democratic policies -- then high crime and financial ruin ----

I think after 20 years, people have again forgotten. Get ready for disaster.

Apr. 26 2012 10:20 AM
bernie from bklyn

ANTHONY WEINER! let's spit on the grave of andrew breitbart and elect the most qualified ny'er to be our next mayor. nyc is the center of the universe and we need to set an example as evolved, big-picture thinking voters.
WEINER FOR MAYOR!!!!!!!

Apr. 26 2012 10:20 AM

I'm for Bloomberg running for the Real Mayor for the City of New York - the position is currently called Governor.

Apr. 26 2012 10:20 AM
Mike from Brooklyn

I hope Kelly is not elected mayor. Kelly and the NYPD disgust me and make NYC a more dangerous place to live. 685,724 New Yorkers were stopped by the police last year. 50,684 people were arrested for marijuana possession in NYC last year, costing the tax payers more than $75 million! The NYPD has had surveillance of activists, Muslims, students. The fact that Ray Kelly has such high approval rating bothers me. I hope that if Kelly runs the campaign will bring these issues to light in a more serious way and white New Yorkers will realize that Ray Kelly is not the man for the job. Maybe if he runs it will actually be good because he will be forced to defend his behavior as Police Commissioner.

Apr. 26 2012 10:16 AM
john from office

Any of the Dems will lead back the NYC of the 70s and 60s. I hope Kelly runs.

My god, the "community" will run wide again. NY must be run with an Iron fist.

Apr. 26 2012 10:16 AM
Pearse

Ray Kelly would be the worst choice for mayor. He would prove to be even more authoritarian than mayor Bloomberg. How could he run after the revelations of the surveillance of Muslims around the city? Kelly would take Bloombergs nanny state to another level.

Apr. 26 2012 10:15 AM
mr nyc

New Yorkers like me are getting sick of so-called "centrism" i.e. they say all the right things about gay marriage and the environment but have totally regressive, rightwing economic policies. Times have changed. New Yorkers are now more open to so-called "tradditional" Democrats than they were in the past.

Apr. 26 2012 10:14 AM
Alex from Brooklyn NY

KELLY's SHAMEFUL BEHAVIOR HAS NO BOUNDARIES See how Police Commissioner Kelly blames his Falling Approval Rating on the Rank-and-File NYPD officers http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/top_stories/155882/poll--police-commissioner-kelly-s-approval-rating-falls

Apr. 26 2012 10:12 AM
Jean from Financial District

I hope Diana Taylor runs; she would be the closest to an heir apparent.

Apr. 26 2012 10:12 AM
Francis from Financial District

I'd vote for Anthony Wiener. I don't care who or what he's texting.

Apr. 26 2012 10:12 AM

Who in their right mind would want Kelly as mayor...that guy that walks around covered in newspapers would be better.

Apr. 26 2012 10:12 AM
Ken

I wouldn't vote for Kelly based on his recent performance in the NYPD - he's done nothing but ignore and deflect some pretty serious public relations issues. That does not auger well for a potential mayor.

Apr. 26 2012 10:10 AM
Stephen from Prospect Heights

Slightly disappointed by the assumptions of this construct. Bloomberg is a classic Rockefeller/Lindsay Republican and is definitely left of Obama.

Apr. 26 2012 10:02 AM