Agnes Gund on Studio in a School

Monday, April 30, 2012

Agnes Gund, one of New York City’s most prominent art collectors, President Emerita of the Museum of Modern Art, discusses Studio in a School, a non-profit organization she founded that has worked with the Department of Education to enhance art education in New York City’s public schools for 35 years.

Agnes Gund

AC from NYC

Aggie is, and always has been, among of the most vibrant, unpretentious and intellectual arts missionaries that the world has. She confronts arts education and collecting head on, and takes it every bit as seriously as any serious painter at a canvas or any research scientist at their microscope. I have no doubt that this education venture Aggie is spearheading will be nothing short of a raging success. I guarantee you, for Aggie this is no "whim" as @proto stated in this thread. Just because Agnes is lucky enough to have financial assets, it doesn't mean she isn't serious. This lady means business. Wealthy or not, I can't help but think that if she were a man, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

May. 01 2012 04:57 PM
Mary Beth from Manhattan

I am a recently retired NYC Public school teacher, and I was lucky to have a Studio In The Schools artist work with my inner city kindergarteners. I worked with the same artist for many years, and my children were involved in the most amazing art projects during those years.I feel that my children benefited greatly from the program. Thank You!

Apr. 30 2012 01:39 PM
Zen

Leonard Please, You and your staff need to give consideration to the way a guest sounds. This is radio after all and this woman does not have a voice for radio , nor public lecture ! She could be talking about a facinating topic but the delivery here is so dredfull I doubt anything can be gained. I am almost comatose, must tune out now !

Apr. 30 2012 01:36 PM

Lenny,

Earlier today, there was a conversation on Brian Leher's show on the tangental subject of tuition costs and student loans.

It was determined that the arts are a total and complete waste of time because the debt racked-up pursuing an arts education can NOT be serviced on a arts career salary.

Some esteemed listeners suggested that it is best that a student calculate the potential income from a particular education compared to the debt accrued in it's pursuit.

Under the current circumstance of impossibly high tuition and high cost of student debt it is definitely best to only pursue an MBA education.

The arts are NOT a viable life choice.

Apr. 30 2012 01:34 PM
tom from astoria

How can an artist approach the organization today. Can they use a traditional drawing, representation/dicpline type artist ?

Apr. 30 2012 01:33 PM

Why can't Art not be discussed as always taking a second class status to other subjects? Even when your guest and Mr. Lopate talk about art educations benefits, it can only be discussed as it relates to 'improving' other fields. Science has such specific specialties and fields, will we ever see the day when Art can be like this, and not just according to the whims of rich people?

Apr. 30 2012 01:27 PM