Nets Say Goodbye To New Jersey

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

nets, prudential center (Jody Avirgan/WNYC)

Dave D'Alessandro, sports columnist for The Star-Ledger, joins to discuss the Nets' last game in New Jersey, and help take calls from Nets fans.

Dave D'alessandro

Wait..!

Chris Christie is the morbidly OBESE, fat slob generally found in New Jersey??

...right??

Apr. 24 2012 11:59 AM
Debbie from Bay Ridge

It sounds like -- as a Mets fan (& Brooklyn resident) -- I should have no trouble becoming a Nets fan.

Apr. 24 2012 11:57 AM
Will from Jersey City

Once again the MOUTH THAT ROARED...instead of good luck, hope they win..we get another example of christie saying everything that comes into his mind...typical politician..

Apr. 24 2012 11:56 AM

Do we really need additional confirmation that professional Sports® is absolutely MORONIC??

Apr. 24 2012 11:56 AM
DS from NJ

I wish Gov. Christie would have shown more class. Why couldn't he just thank the team for its 35 years in NJ, and wish them well? Apparently that's not his style.

If he's mad the team is moving, he should blame the owners who agreed to the move, not slamming the whole team. As a booster for the state, you'd think he'd be glad to have a team that actually wore the name "New Jersey" on its jerseys (unlike the two NFL teams that have played in NJ for decades but still call themselves "New York.")

And of course the Nets might have stayed in NJ if they had gotten better fan support, if there had been better mass transit access to the Meadowlands, etc.

Will I go to games in Brooklyn? Probably a few, especially if I end up working in NYC again (I live in NJ). Maybe with its new location in Brooklyn, the team will get better fan support and have more motivation to assemble a top-notch team.

Apr. 24 2012 11:56 AM
Dubya from Soho

a little sad, the players used to frequent food and bar at my fathers chinese restaurant in the late 70's and 80's so I grew up with lots of good memories. They loved my father and my father loved them. I was obsessed with Buck Williams and my father arranged for me to meet him in the locker room after a game. I drew a picture of him for him and gave it to him. He smiled and said he would hang it in his locker. Greatest moment as a child.

Apr. 24 2012 11:56 AM

i bet a lot of people would rather say good bye to christie

Apr. 24 2012 11:55 AM

Take Christy at his word - Good Ridance! Despite being a Republican - the party usually in favor of government give-aways to corporate interests in the form of free stadiums and tax-free bonds - Christie is smart enough to know that these subsidized teams lose money for the public and New Jersey needs to conserve the public money for tax breaks for the rich. New York still has a through-back Bloomberg who's willing to spend all of the taxpayer's money to leave a personal 'legacy' in the form of white elephant buildings and sports teams.

Apr. 24 2012 11:55 AM
RL

Having the second lowest gas tax in the US doesn't make anyone want to drive there. NJ is killing itself slowly - driving out culture and sports. No support for arts and leisure. Thankfully, they can't sell their beaches to PA. If they were landlocked they'd be bankrupt by now. Be honest, NJ has one of the worst reputations in America. Unless you grew up there, you don't want to live there unless you have to; you don't even want to drive through it. It's a poluted, dirty state with nothing worth going there for. Chritie can say what his big mouth wants, but he's driving the biggest stakes in NJ's heart.

Apr. 24 2012 11:54 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Until the Dodgers move back to Brooklyn - we can only dream.

Apr. 24 2012 11:53 AM
Tom P from NJ

What is Christie going to say? The Nets departure has been a done deal for six years. Hopefully, this ownership will do better than what we endured over the years. Things were looking bright until Bruce Ratner bought, then dismantled, a competitive team.

The fans who did not show up in NJ all those years will not travel to Brooklyn.

Apr. 24 2012 11:53 AM
SteveH from b'klyn

Why not subsidize a team, and suffer the liabilities.....

it's always about the money

Now the people of nyc & Brooklyn will pay

Apr. 24 2012 11:53 AM
Fiona from Park Slope

Lost my business (and am losing my neighborhood) to the hideous Barclay's Center. Make no mistake--Brooklyn doesn't want them either.

Apr. 24 2012 11:52 AM
Ann Devert

Governor Christie’s comments are simply those of a spurned former
spouse who never wanted a divorce trying to save his self-respect.
How could the Nets be so cruel? Didn’t New Jersey give them the
best years of their lives? New Jersey is in pain!

Apr. 24 2012 11:52 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Ha ha - Good for Christie but New Jersey - the state, simply sucks as a brand. New Jersey needs a tangible metropolis, it's the only state I know that does not have one.

Apr. 24 2012 11:51 AM
Simeon Berman from West Orange

Goodbye (in Russian До свидания ) NYET's

Apr. 24 2012 11:49 AM
Antonio from bayside

Well I am sure they're going to get a new team! How about the New jersey "Tanager's?"

The Kidd era was fantastic!

Apr. 24 2012 11:21 AM

Yes, I'm commenting before the segment.

The team stinks and so does the new stadium (boy, is it ugly!). Its sad that the original Frank Gehry design - which was fantastic - was never used. Instead they opted with a cheaper, prefabricated design.

I'm no Gov. Christie fan but I gotta give him credit - he's no sucker.

Apr. 24 2012 10:15 AM
Rafi Jafri from Eng Cliffs, NJ

I will miss the NJ Nets, especially when on most days when MSG is sold out, I will miss sitting down low at Nets games for cheap.

Apr. 24 2012 10:07 AM