The Mobile Marketing Revolution

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Jed Alpert, founder and CEO of Mobile Commons, talks about his new book: The Mobile Marketing Revolution : How Your Brand Can Have a One-To-One Conversation with Everyone.

→ Texting Project: Text LIVE to 30644 – that’s LIVE to 30644 to answer a few questions about marriage, living together, and life in your 20s. That’s the subject of our conversation at 11:40. Standard message rates apply, of course.

Jed Alpert

Anti-Text from NYC

Analog, I am in my 30s - part of the generation that loves texting - and I hate it! I tend to be a long writer (who insists on spelling everything out long form and properly, too), so text messaging drives me crazy. I actually have texts blocked on my phone (in part to save money). If friends want to talk with me while not in person, they have to email or call.

Apr. 18 2012 11:07 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Well Nick - My bank has notified me 3 times in the last 4 years, that my card has "been compromised" - Nothing is a sure bet.

Apr. 18 2012 11:06 AM
Nick from UWS

This guy had a kind of venal, sociopathic quality about him. He wants to shove cell phone advertising down people's throats but won't pick up the phone for his own relatives.

Apr. 18 2012 11:03 AM
Amy from Manhattan

John A.: Opt-out? No, I want opt-in regulation. I want the default to be that I don't get what the marketers & phone co's. want to stick me with but only what I actively choose.

Apr. 18 2012 11:01 AM
Nick from UWS

Sheldon: Oh no, I have an ATM card. Because that' s a device that I use at my bank, and the ATM machine is hard wired directly into my bank. I'm not broadcasting my PIN or finances to potentially the entire world.

Apr. 18 2012 10:59 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I'm keeping my land line because: It's more secure; toll-free calls & incoming calls don't cost me anything, & I can't afford to waste minutes being on hold.

Apr. 18 2012 10:58 AM
Elizabeth from Westchester

Although tech savvy and mother of 3, I choose not to own a cell phone. Hearing your guest leaves me feeling sad that this "social experience" of texting is considered social at all.

Apr. 18 2012 10:57 AM
Jane from Brooklyn

I also have a land line that never gets used. the only reason why I keep it is emergency situations, when cell phones don't seem to work. do you think I'm overreacting?

Apr. 18 2012 10:56 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I've started to get marketing phone calls on my cell phone recently. I thought that wasn't supposed to be able to happen yet, unless a law got changed. So what happened?

Apr. 18 2012 10:55 AM
John A.

Marketers hate their relatives. Check.

Apr. 18 2012 10:55 AM
analog girl

Is there anyone else put there who hates texting? Can't imagine that I would ever enjoy it or use it unless forced to.

Apr. 18 2012 10:53 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Nick, for a guy that rails against religion every chance you get, you seem to be not that forward thinking, when it comes to technology. Should I assume you do not have an atm card?

Apr. 18 2012 10:53 AM
Nick from UWS

You tell your guest that people like him are exactly why I do not and never will own a cell phone. Leave this kind of crap to the sheep of this world who let corporations tell them what to do and how to live.

Apr. 18 2012 10:52 AM
John A.

Firm opt-out regulation, please.

Apr. 18 2012 10:52 AM
james from nyc

I don't want strangers or companies texting me...

Apr. 18 2012 10:48 AM
Nick from UWS

Anyone dumb enough to do personal banking from their cell phone, broadcasting their private business throughout the air of the streets like a walkie-talkie, deserves exactly what they get.

Apr. 18 2012 10:47 AM
asdf

anybody else use the "beepmo" app?

it allows users around you (you choose proximity) to see your linked in and other data, including phone/email and location.

Apr. 18 2012 10:12 AM