Your 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Pulitzer Prize Committee did NOT award a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction yesterday. Sarah McNally of McNally Jackson Books in Manhattan joins to talk about why the board might have snubbed the nominees, and which top titles of 2011 deserved to be in the running.

Jack

One book by an ex-employee and another edited by her ex-husband. That speaks to the integrity she's known for.

Apr. 18 2012 12:28 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Modern fiction is thoroughly drenched in left-wing self-righteous crap because you can't attend the Iowa workshops or get published by the Manhattan book houses unless you share their politics. You want fiction? Obama's supposed competence and leadership is a good start.

Or every other novel is about losing a child, a wife, overcoming adversity, your character's terminal illness, healing the character's inner pain...blah, blah blah. What drivel. Take away the keyboards and lock them up.
Modern poetry is even worse.

They should discontinue these awards until the Left loses their lock on the universities and the media conglomerates.

Apr. 17 2012 03:08 PM
Denyse Day

I have just read the comment from "Uneasy Ann" and to me it was the saddest words I have ever read. "wasted hours spent reading useless fiction". Which kind of fiction? It might be the reason it does nothing for her; it did not nourish her or her imagination, brighten her days. It might even be the reason why there was no Pulitzer fiction prize this year. It really is a pity.

Apr. 17 2012 01:51 PM
Lee from Brooklyn

Thanks for plugging your book, Ben Lerner!

Apr. 17 2012 12:09 PM
Alex from NYC

Maybe the Pulitzer judges are tired of people who own bookstores but have no literary insight or expertise promoting schlock as if it had the remotest  literary value, and then being featured regularly on what passes for good public radio these days.  "The most exciting voice writing in America right now." Go pick on some other artistic realm, please!

Apr. 17 2012 11:59 AM
Jonathan Segal from NYC

I'd recommend "The Disharmonic Misadventures of David Stein" by Jonathan L. Segal.
A funny, far-out musical mystery.
A bungling jazz musician gets caught in a wild world of mystery and intrigue.
Okay, so I wrote it. It still kills me every time I read it!
Jonathan

Apr. 17 2012 11:59 AM
Elizabeth from Maplewood, NJ

I really adored both The Art of Fielding and The Tragedy of Arthur this year.

Teju Cole's Open City was fantastic too.

Apr. 17 2012 11:55 AM
Alex from White Plains

IQ84 By Murakami. It was a work of art, brilliantly written, great and origional story it had everything even the book cover was beautiful.

Apr. 17 2012 11:52 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Fiction is a pack of lies by definition. Why do so many people waste so much time and money on packs of lies? Real life is so much stranger and more fascinating than most fiction, IMO.

Apr. 17 2012 11:52 AM
Maude

I would have recommended The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson.
Incredible story, I thought it was well written.
and maybe most importantly, incredibly enlightening on North Korea.

Apr. 17 2012 11:51 AM
David from West Hempstead

The Ryan Budget. First class fiction, that.

Apr. 17 2012 11:49 AM
Ann uneasy shift from nyc

I haven't read a book of fiction in years. How shameful is that? I used to go to the BPL around the corner weekly, years ago, and borrow many books - fiction mostly. Today, I can't remember the last time I walked into a library let alone, opened a book of fiction. Now I read books relating directly to what I do for a living. Likewise my time spent online caters to my profession.
Where the hell would I be today without clocking in all those "wasted" hours spent reading "useless" fiction, but for a myriad of reasons, I just don't read today and I know it's impacting me in ways I don't understand.
Perhaps an uneasy shift is taking hold on modern society as a whole, and the Pulitzer move reflects this. Can't say for certain.

Apr. 17 2012 10:47 AM