Pitcher Jim Abbott

Monday, April 16, 2012

Major league pitcher Jim Abbott talks about his unlikely success story—he was born without a right hand, but chose a profession that didn’t allow him to hide his disability. He’s remembered for throwing one of the most dramatic no-hitters in major-league history, in September at Yankee Stadium. His new memoir is Imperfect: An Improbable Life.

Jim Abbott
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Michael P Gaughan from Brooklyn

I have a mild case of CP affecting my right arm and as a youth enjoyed playing Baseball, (my dad was a pitcher who was offered a tryout with the Dodgers) I would throw and catch with my left arm. I played the outfield and as Jim I would catch the ball then take the ball out with my right hand drop the glove and throw or I would throw the glove in the air snag and throw the ball with my left hand.

Jim's career was inspirational to me

Apr. 16 2012 01:52 PM
Dan K from Washington Heights

It's not all the remarkable that Abbott became a pitcher with one hand. All pitchers only throw with one hand. What is remarkable is that he could field, throw, and bat with one hand. And for that matter, make an omelet.

Apr. 16 2012 01:51 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I'm glad Mr. Abbott was able to do everything he achieved. I have to ask a science question: Did he ever have neurological tests to see which of his brain hemispheres is dominant--in other words, would he have been right-handed if he'd had a functioning right hand?

Apr. 16 2012 01:50 PM

He was amazing to watch, of course, but he also, always, had the most easy-going, positive attitude. He was a favorite Yankee, and would have been even if he had no disability at all. So good to hear from him. Thank you!

Apr. 16 2012 01:40 PM

Yeah I notice there are a few "hand" puns, too. Nevertheless great interview.

Apr. 16 2012 01:39 PM
Henry from Manhattan

Leonard said,

"come to grips"

Nice one...

Apr. 16 2012 01:35 PM

Be careful, Jim. Leonard is a die-hard Met fan who hates the Yankees! LOL! ;-)

Apr. 16 2012 01:32 PM
George from Brooklyn

What does Mr. Abbott think of modern pitchers and pitch counts?

Apr. 16 2012 12:06 PM