Philippe Falardeau on “Monsieur Lazhar”

Friday, April 13, 2012

Director Philippe Falardeau tells about his new film “Monsieur Lazhar,” which was one of this year's five nominees for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. It tells the story of an Algerian immigrant substitute teacher who brings emotional stability to a Montreal middle school class shaken by the death of their well-liked teacher. “Monsieur Lazhar” opens April 13 at the Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center and the Angelika Film Center.

Philippe Falardeau

stuart from manhattan

Although I do not work at WNYC, I recognize this interview with Mr Petit as a repeat segment. Perhaps Mr Falardeau (the scheduled guest) did not show up.

It would have been nice for someone to mention it on air...

Apr. 13 2012 01:04 PM
jean in brooklyn from Brooklyn

Definitely an old segment put in instead of the advertised one. VERY disappointing. Should be announced at the very least if they couldn't do the correct segment.

Apr. 13 2012 01:02 PM
sandra from nyc

They are discussing the film "Man on Wire" A Must See Film! Saw it in the Tribeca Film Fest.

Great comment about how you fear the unknown. However, some seem inborn
I am scared to DEATH of extreme heights even though I've tried to overcome it,
but do NOT fear snakes and tarantulas (had one walk on my hand!)
I wonder if you can really get over inherent fears?

Apr. 13 2012 01:00 PM
andy from manhattan

i do believe i saw this film several years ago, why is mr lopate treating it as a new film?

also, apparently there has been a program shift away from the description above. as the previous listener noted.

Apr. 13 2012 12:55 PM
Danielle

i believe some years ago i read a quote of your guest answering why he did the walk. I cannot remember it but found it a beautiful statement-does he remember his response?

Apr. 13 2012 12:52 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Is this segment description correct? It doesn't seem to jive with what the guests are speaking about... I missed Leonard's intro of the guests, so came in in the middle of their discussion. Still....

Apr. 13 2012 12:48 PM