Poll: Your Open Source Conversation Starters

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:35 AM

On Tuesday, the Brian Lehrer Show asked for your suggestions for conversation starters. In addition to your phone calls, we've also received over 100 submissions through our comments page and now we're asking for your vote on which open phones conversation we should have tomorrow.

Check out all the listener submissions and listen to the original segment here.

To get back to the main show page, click here

More in:

you from Perth

Hello WNYC, my name is you. So WNYC, Europe, United States, China and Japan, now try have a biggest fight to get all the money out from 12 and more Country: New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Oceania, Southeast Asia, South Asia, Western Asia, Central Asia, Africa, South America, (Mexico and Central America) and more Country into 4 Country: United States, China, Europe and Japan. Because we want 4 Country rates dollars must be up now: United States, China, Europe and Japan.

Apr. 25 2012 02:48 AM
Marianne from Staten Island

I would like to have a conversation about Gov.Cuomo's executive order for stting up health exchanges.
This IS a topic effecting ALL New Yorkers, not the Guilt shopper's promotion.
Sorry Brian, that was a BAAAD Chioce!

Apr. 13 2012 11:57 AM
Bruce Bonin from Newark

Forget the bucket list. Take you best camera and spend a day walking and taking pictures of you favorite spots.

Apr. 13 2012 10:55 AM
Bronx Bob from Bronx, NYC

Why waste valuable air time on people who don't have the courage to stay in NYC? There are many viable family neighborhoods in this city that are not in the currently fashionable areas. But remember, the currently fashionable areas were considered quite undesirable not all that long ago.
These areas were pioneered by people who had the courage and vision to build viable communities. For quite a while we've had administrations who give lip service to affordable housing but are beholden to the developers & real estate industry. Why not focus on those of modest means who are committed to staying in their city & are struggling to find creative solutions. We must take back our city!

Apr. 13 2012 02:30 AM
Jim from Boston from Boston

I've always admired New Yorkers from afar for along time---when the chips are down they go for it, so I'd love to hear about their aspirations.

Apr. 12 2012 03:41 PM
Priscilla Mainardi from Pompton Plains, NJ

If it's not too late, I'd like to suggest a conversation starter: Do people really like to read more these days, or do they just like their Kindles and other devices? Are books really making a comeback?

Apr. 12 2012 03:26 PM
Laurie E. Faber from Riverdale

Trade schools that can train plumbers, electricians and others for good-paying careers are never mentioned as an alternative to colleges.
Speakers at middle schools only talk about college at graduations as if it is the only option that proves intelligence, drive and success.

Apr. 12 2012 12:30 PM
MaryCae from New Jersey

I dig the bucket list idea..

Apr. 12 2012 12:15 PM
Alexandra from Manhattan

I'm also leaving NYC and have been thinking about what I should do before I leave, so this is right up my alley. I would love to hear a component to the bucket list having to do with activities and places that are a must for my children (ages 5 and 7), as well. This could include shows that are a must-see, museum exhibits, tourist attractions (New Yorkers tend to avoid those things). But, I also wonder about what should be on my list for just me and my husband. I've been thinking about trying to see The Book of Mormon before we go, for example. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Apr. 12 2012 12:08 PM
Marian from Hillsdale, NJ

I love the idea of a "bucket list" for NYC...I live in North Jersey but try to get into Manhattan as often as possible. I am not planning on leaving anytime soon but would love to make sure I have done "everything"! I have a cousin who was transferred to NYC from London for 2 years...and she has taught me things I should be doing!

Apr. 12 2012 11:46 AM
Susan Illman from New York, NY

Would so love to engage in a a conversation about what motivates people to remain lingering or around the edges of organized religion when they don't truly feel all that aligned or invested in it. Hope this topic is the winner!

Apr. 12 2012 11:42 AM
Tracy Richards from Palm Beach FL

This is such a great topic to discuss. College is an investment and I don't believe high school students are prepared enough to spend there resources on a particular area of study that may not seem relevant to them once finished.

Apr. 12 2012 11:40 AM
John from Fanwood, NJ

I listen every day, and although I know a lot more about current events than I would if I wasn’t a listener, how about a non-controversial topic for a change. I’d love to hear what other listeners would like to do in our great NYC area before our final Metrocard swipe.

Apr. 12 2012 11:36 AM
bernadette kelly

I do agree with your guest who commented on how public schools in affluent have an advantage over those in lower income neighborhoods. I worked as a teccher for 8 years on the upper east side. Every year the Parents Association was able to raise $200,000 to $300,00 for enrichment programs.
A portion of that money is often used for assistant teachers in kindergarten and 1st grade.

Apr. 12 2012 11:35 AM
ian from brooklyn

Good topic i will be listening.

Apr. 12 2012 11:28 AM

I chose the 1st topic because I think we should have a year or two break between HS & college/university. This can be an opportunity to join the Peace Corps, military service (which should be expanded beyond volunteer only) & the private and/or state/local public sector - Parks, tutoring younger students, etc.

Apr. 12 2012 11:27 AM