Streams

Cuomo: State To Provide More Funds for Tropical Storm Costs

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 01:36 PM

Governor Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday that the state will cover the local cost for recovery from Tropical Storms Irene and Lee.

The state will make $61 million dollars available to 25 counties to cover costs associated with emergency shelter, road, water system and infrastructure repair, stream and riverbed mitigation and other clean-up projects.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency typically covers 75 percent of eligible costs related to disaster response and recovery, with the remaining 25 percent typically shared equally by the state and localitites.

The storms "devastated communities across our state, uprooting lives and placing a tremendous financial strain on families and local governments," Governor Cuomo said. "I am pleased that New York State could step up to the plate and provide tens of millions of dollars in funding to take the pressure off local governments and taxpayers, and allow existing rebuilding and recovery projects to move forward as quickly as possible."

The state is able to cover the local costs through funding put in place by the Legislature and additional federal funds requested by the governor.

Total recovery from last summer's storms is expected to exceed $1.6 billion.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Leave a Comment

Register for your own account so you can vote on comments, save your favorites, and more. Learn more.
Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. Names are displayed with all comments. We reserve the right to edit any comments posted on this site. Please read the Comment Guidelines before posting. By leaving a comment, you agree to New York Public Radio's Privacy Policy and Terms Of Use.

Sponsored

"The Capitol Pressroom" with Susan Arbetter at 11 am

For show archives, please visit The Capitol Bureau's website here.

About The Empire

Everything you need to know about New York politics and governance. We aim for a ground-up approach to politics, reverse engineered to make the effect just as important as the players and the game they play. From the Long Island to The Thousand Islands, New York City Hall to the Capitol Building, The Empire's got you covered.

Check out WNYC's 2013 Mayor Tracker--the one-stop shop for info about the candidates, issues and trends in the upcoming New York City mayoral election.

 

Our Reporters

Feeds

Supported by