Christine Quinn on Her Grandmother, Titanic Survivor

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn talks about her grandmother, Helen Shine Callaghan, who survived the Titanic. Callaghan was 20 when she was coming over from Belfast, one of only 40 Irish Titanic survivors who would make it to America.

Christine Quinn

anonyme

An Irish friend of mine says the Brits make fun of the Irish and the Irish make fun of people from Cork (my family sailed from Cobh)

Apr. 12 2012 10:47 AM
Tim Young from New York, NY

Quinn for mayor!

Apr. 11 2012 01:00 PM
Anne from Westport, CT

Ms. Quinn is about 1 Snookie away from overexposure. I'm guessing this news -- interesting though it may be -- is a calculated move to show her softer, more family-oriented side. That said, it sounds like she comes from tough, so it has served her well.

Also, she is quite supportive of these cooperatives. What is her stance on unions. These cooperatives sound like a gussied up version of unions. I wonder, too, whether ideas that seemed cute pre-election ('Oh, look at all these women, look at all this FEMALE EMPOWERMENT.') Post-election, we'll see how fond she is of the idea...

Apr. 11 2012 12:59 PM

Christine Quinn ~

Arggggghhhhhh!!

Apr. 11 2012 12:58 PM
John Weber from East Coast

John from the office. Any relatives of survivors are relevant news stories on this 100th anniversary. So leave the politics out of it.

Apr. 11 2012 12:57 PM
Johnnjersey from NJ

My friend is in Canada right now and visited the cemetery where many Titanic victims are buried. He sent a picture of an unidentified child's grave.
How could there be an unidentified child with ship registries and lists of survivors. How could anyone go unidentified?

Apr. 11 2012 12:54 PM
john from office

I predict she will find some jewish relatives and some hispanic relatives before the election.

Apr. 11 2012 12:53 PM
Pat Galligan from New York City

I wonder if Ms. Quinn's Nellie Shine had cousins in Boston. My grandmother, Mary Shine (married name Forrest) emigrated from County Cork. When she died in 1919, her three children were for a while cared for by "Aunt Nellie" -- Nellie Shine, a cousin, I think, rather than a sister to my grandmother. It wouldn't be unusual for a first name to be shared by a number of people in an extended family. Perhaps Ms. Quinn and I are (distant) cousins.
Is it possible to receive an email response. I am at work and cannot be at my desk throughout the program. Thank you.
Pat Galligan

Apr. 11 2012 12:51 PM
St. Christopher from North Atlantic

There may not be any sexism there. Spinning yarn may have been how she earned money:
spinster 3. a woman whose occupation is spinning.
Dictionary.com

Apr. 11 2012 12:51 PM
The Truth from Becky

I absolutely love"...can pray while running"

Apr. 11 2012 12:51 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Originally, "spinster" was the feminine form of "spinner," which meant someone who spun wool for yarn. So it could have actually been Speaker Quinn's grandmother's occupation rather than a reference to her marital status.

Apr. 11 2012 12:49 PM
St. Christopher from North Atlantic

3. a woman whose occupation is spinning.
Dictionary.com

Apr. 11 2012 12:48 PM
john from office

Len, is this in prep for the upcoming election?? What is the point of having her on?? 4 Years of this voice URGH!!!

Apr. 11 2012 12:44 PM