No One Ever Told Us That

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

John Spooner, guest commentator on Bloomberg National Radio and author of No One Ever Told Us That: Money and Life Letters to My Grandchildren, shares letters written to his grandchildren about money and life.

John Spooner
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Barbara Lifton from New York City

I am a Senior CItizen, managing a large portfolio at a medium risk level. Almost ALL my holdings are corporations which deal globally and have good yields and dividends! At my age, I don't care too much about value. Don't know how long I'll be around! I laugh at the Market see-saw- like children at a playground! (See today's plunge!)
Investors should inform themselves about their holdings and manage their own risk level. My successful investment strategy: take advice from an advisor you trust, but make your own investment decisions. Pay ONLY an annual fee to your advisor, not a per-trade fee.
Over the years, my holdings have consistantly paid 4-5% in dividend income per year no matter WHAT the market does.

Apr. 04 2012 11:29 AM
Marie from brooklyn

PLEASE ask him his favorite book and movie!?

Apr. 04 2012 11:26 AM
Bill in New Paltz from New Paltz

Brian: Mr. Spooner's use of the word "Darwinian" is a total misstatement of Darwin's idea, which has nothing to do with the so-called "survival of the fittest" in terms of warfare among individuals. Darwin wrote about an organism's "fit" in its environment. His use of the term is akin to the discredited ideas of Herbert Spencer, "Social Darwinism," which, of course, was in the news today on account of Mr. Obama's speech. Doesn't he have an editor? How about taking him on? He's the first person to require additional explanations, of seemingly irrelevant matters (what you read, your favorite movie, etc.) in taking a measure of a person's character. He's misused the concept. Bill in New Paltz

Apr. 04 2012 11:25 AM
Nick from UWS

Oh yeah....the matter of your fee should be WAY down the list. Matter of fact, let's talk about it AFTER you sign up with me and give me your money.

Apr. 04 2012 11:24 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I think Mr. Spooner means he's in the advice business not the commission business....

Apr. 04 2012 11:23 AM
Marie from brooklyn

This guy is a turkey.

Apr. 04 2012 11:22 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

What kinds of philosophies are good and acceptable to Mr. Spooner?

Apr. 04 2012 11:20 AM
Nick from UWS

Is Brian speaking an unknown language? He asked this guest a simple direct question: WHO are your clientele, large companies or small individuals. In answer he rambles a vague description of WHAT kind of advice he gives. It's apparent that nobody from the financial sector is mentally able to answer a simple direct question with a direct answer, so let's spend a little less time talking about Greenspan and a few more minutes looking in the mirror.

Apr. 04 2012 11:19 AM
Josh Karan from Washington Heights

Does Mr. Spooner believe in the concept of "Socially Responsible Investing", using ethical/social screens in addition to financial ones to determine his investment placements?

Does he believe that this is a viable concept -- able to bring adequate financial returns, while advancing peace, social justice, and environmental sustainability; avoiding polluters, worker exploiters, and war mongers>

Apr. 04 2012 11:18 AM
Nick from UWS

Apr. 04 2012 11:18 AM
art525 from Park Slope

OK I don't know anything about finance but this guy sure doesn't impress me. Sounds like snake oil. The big questions that people don't ask their advisors? Ask him what his philosophy is. Ask him what he invests in. And nobody asks these questions? This is some grat insight? I don't know anything but htese would be pretty obvious to me. And I didn't get any great insights into Allen Greenspan from his anecdote. Yeah Greenspan was a huckster. It seems to go with the territory.

Apr. 04 2012 11:17 AM