'Of Course I'm voting for you'

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 01:56 PM

That wasn't what I expected to hear when when I saw Carl Paladino bump into Kim Chavis, on New Dorp Lane.

"I like the talk he's talking," she said. "And him, I like what he's saying."

When I asked about Andrew Cuomo, Chavis shook her head, sighed and walked off camera.

And apologies for the, um, unusual camera angle. Sort of had my hands full with radio equipment.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Llascelle1

I will ve voting for Paladino as I feel he is what we need is someone that won't back down and he will help us in Western New York.

Oct. 30 2010 04:19 PM
mroman

Albany is disfunctional. Many representatives are out for themselves by our taxes, taxes, taxes.

John Gambling (WOR -radio) also agrees Paladino is our hope. Media has done a disservice to him and to the voters. With the current system ,it will only be same old, same old. Cuomo is part of that establishment.

Oct. 30 2010 04:07 PM
Sportyonesports

You moron. PALADINO FOR THE PEOPLE. Watch nov 2 WHEN CARL WINS just like he did in the primary.

Oct. 30 2010 12:19 AM
Josip

Carl is new Governor- cuomo gohome

Oct. 29 2010 09:35 PM
Godfroysauto

Carl for GOVERNOR!!! saying what I want to hear.

Oct. 29 2010 03:42 PM
Sue

help us obi-wan-kenobi, it's our only hope

Oct. 29 2010 02:24 PM

shirl-
actually, i asked what she did for work.

the reason for the question (in addition to being a standard inquiry when interviewing voters) is to find out whether her field of employment is one that could be directly impacted by either candidate.

in this case, chavis identified herself as an employee in the health care industry. cuomo, whom she does not support, has spoken at length about the cuts he would make to health care spending in new york.

as for asking for her age, again, standard question when interviewing random voters on the street. the reason: so that she can be described to readers if/when i write a print story that doesn't include video or an image of chavis.

it's helpful to readers when reporters can give descriptions of the random voters they're interviewing.

had there not been video (or if, for some reason, there was a problem with the video and it could not be posted) how would i describe this person Paladino had just met? how would i describe this person without asking the questions you seem to have take offense to? without asking her age, or what field she worked in, what would i, as a reporter, have been able to tell you about her?

what would you have asked this person, if you were a reporter?

as for interviewing paladino, i have. for about an hour and a half, before the primary, and spoken to him several times since.

Oct. 29 2010 12:52 PM
shirl

I HEARD YOUR INTERVIEW AND I AM PROUD OF THAT LADY STANDING STRONG IN HER VOTE FOR CARL. I WAS DISTURBED YOU ASKED HER AGE AND IF SHE WORKED------WERE YOU TRYING TO DISCREDIT HER. SHAME ON YOU
IF YOU REALLY SAT AND TALKED TO CARL LIKE HUMANS INSTEAD OF VULTURES YOU WOULD SEE CARL IS A GOOD MAN AND HE TRULY GIVES TO HIS COMMUNITY. WEALTH AND ALL HE IS HUMBLE

Oct. 29 2010 12:35 PM
Tim Batavia NY

I agree with Kim, I like the way Carl talks, I think he will help N.Y. State and it's time to have a person not a politician as are governor.

Oct. 29 2010 12:27 PM
Robert Laity

On Primary day I SWITCHED PARTY. I became a Republican so that I could vote for Paladino. I am the founding President of the Society for the Preservation of Democracy and Human Rights. The Society has ENDORSED Carl Paladino for NY Governor. When he is ready to run for President,he will also be ENDORSED. Paladino is a very moral and good man. We need morality to be restored in Government. While I liked Mario Cuomo,the Democratic Party has mutated into an Anti-American ove-zealously liberal socialistic party that does not resemble Mario's party. Furthermore,just because Andrew has the Cuomo name and consorts with Kennedys does not entitle him to be elected. What Andrew may or may not have accomplished as Attorney General is immaterial. Spitzer was once NY State's Attorney General and Governor. Caveat Emptor.

Oct. 29 2010 09:30 AM

Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.

Sponsored

"The Capitol Pressroom" with Susan Arbetter at 11 am

For show archives, please visit The Capitol Bureau's website here.

About The Empire

Everything you need to know about New York politics and governance. We aim for a ground-up approach to politics, reverse engineered to make the effect just as important as the players and the game they play. From the Long Island to The Thousand Islands, New York City Hall to the Capitol Building, The Empire's got you covered.

Check out WNYC's 2013 Mayor Tracker--the one-stop shop for info about the candidates, issues and trends in the upcoming New York City mayoral election.

Our Reporters