Schneiderman explains the 'annex'

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 09:41 AM

Eric Schneiderman tells The Jewish Week what he meant when he said Al Sharpton's National Action Network would have an "annex" in his AG's office:

"No one who was there took this at all literally. No one will get special treatment in my office. I was making a reference to the idea that in my office, all those who feel they are voiceless, will have a voice. That was the point, and I think enough has been said on it."

Tags:

More in:

Assemblyman Michael Benjamin

Mario Cuomo meant speaking in lofty, poetic metaphors that allow a listener to imagine what the speaker is saying. "Shining house on a hill." "A thousand points of light." Speaking of providing an annex is hardly poetic. It leaves nothing to the imagination. Close your eyes and think "annex". ...my point exactly!

Oct. 30 2010 10:49 PM

not many people in the comments section speak from the experience of having been elected to office.

so, first off, thanks for the contribution here.

but, i can't let you off the hook just yet

let me ask you, where do we draw the line between speaking metaphorically (which Schneiderman says he was doing with this 'annex' line) and literally, on a campaign trail? didn't mario cuomo say we campaign in poetry and govern in prose?

Oct. 27 2010 05:52 PM
Assemblyman Michael Benjamin

It was pandering. Plain and simple. I was appalled when I heard it reported on the local news. I immediately thought Eric S. handed Donovan a powerful TV ad. The AG's office should be about delivering justice and promising to listen to the concerns of NAN. Eric S erred appearing to grant a favored position to NAN and the issues it will present his office. He simply culd have pledged to give a voice to the voiceless and seek justice for those wrongly aggrieved. In this case, his effort to line up his liberal coalition of the usual suspects got the best of him.

Oct. 27 2010 02:43 AM

Oh. I get it. You were just pandering. Fine. Say so. Don't be a schmuck-Schneid! You are a pandering, philandering, politician, like your brothers in the Senate.

I don't know how guys like you can look themselves in the mirror.

Oct. 27 2010 12:48 AM
Azi Paybarah

What about Schneiderman's argument that it was rhetorical - meant to express an openness to the kind of people helped by Sharpton's organization?

Oct. 26 2010 11:23 PM
TraddsDad

I don't think enough has been said of it at all. You're running for Attorney General and you suck up to a known tax cheat who lives in a luxury hotel with no income?
PANDER BEAR!
what about that hit and run?

Oct. 26 2010 10:15 PM
Sammy

BULLSHIT - t was pandering at its finest

Oct. 26 2010 09:33 PM

Sponsored

"The Capitol Pressroom" with Susan Arbetter at 11 am

For show archives, please visit The Capitol Bureau's website here.

About The Empire

Everything you need to know about New York politics and governance. We aim for a ground-up approach to politics, reverse engineered to make the effect just as important as the players and the game they play. From the Long Island to The Thousand Islands, New York City Hall to the Capitol Building, The Empire's got you covered.

Check out WNYC's 2013 Mayor Tracker--the one-stop shop for info about the candidates, issues and trends in the upcoming New York City mayoral election.

Our Reporters