The Search for the Amazon’s Last Uncontacted Tribes

Friday, March 23, 2012

Scott Wallace tells the tale of a journey into the deepest recesses of the Amazon to track one of the planet's last uncontacted indigenous tribes. In The Unconquered: The Search for the Amazon’s Last Uncontacted Tribes, Wallace journeys into the Amazon's uncharted depths to observe the mysterious flecheiros, following a researcher who seeks to protect them.

Scott Wallace

oosh-d

sandra why did you type that spoiler? asty-n

Mar. 25 2012 08:02 PM
Sandra from nyc

Dear Adria,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the book and integrated it in your job. I've also been to The Amazon and would LOVE to read this book. However, you gave some away by telling us "...the death of your camera man"!

Maybe WNYC can add to "please stay on topic, be civil, be brief and NO SPOILERS!!!"
Or maybe WNYC can edit these out, PLEASE! I read many books based on these interviews!

Gracias!

Mar. 23 2012 07:35 PM
William from Manhattan

Is your guest familiar with the new Brazilian feature film "Xingu" (Director: Cao Hamburger), about the Villa Boas brothers and their work with the indigenous people to establish the Parque Nacional Xingu (Xingu National Park)?

Mar. 23 2012 12:33 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I'd heard the Amazon rainforest called the lungs of the Americas, but not specifically of the United States. Not even of "America," as far as I remember--which, by the way, to many Latin Americans means both North & South America. Anyone who actually says it's the lungs of the USA would come off as pretty patronizing.

Mar. 23 2012 12:32 PM
GariG57 from SI NYC

Did Mr Wallaca read the book "the Lost City of Z." to get ready for this trip.

Mar. 23 2012 12:31 PM
Francine from NJ

I'm from Brazil, and I have to say that the educated people of Brazil is extremely proud of Sidney's job, and also we believe it should be more than what it is and Peru should join us too.

Mar. 23 2012 12:23 PM
Adria Armbrister from Bogota, Colombia

I work in a multilateral Bank on issues of gender, Indigenous Peoples and Afro-descendants. I finished The Unconquered just as I touched down in Manaus to meet with an Indiganous organization about a climate change project we are doing with them. Not only was my visit surreal as I looked out on the Rio Negro and thought about your trip, but my view of our project changed. We integrated measured to create protocols on non-contact with uncontacted indgenous peoples. I was also saddened at the death of your camera man. The pictures were beautiful, even on my iPad 2.

Mar. 23 2012 12:17 PM
George from Brooklyn

How has the logging industry affected the indigenous population?

Mar. 23 2012 02:09 AM