How Are Your Allergies Today?

Friday, March 23, 2012

The culprit: Oak pollen is among the most allergenic of tree pollens. (sandy richard/flickr/flickr)

All of a sudden, everyone's allergies seem to be acting up--and many are getting reactions for the first time. Dr. Anne Maitland, allergy doctor and Fellow of the American College of Allergy, discusses the allergy season and takes your calls.

Dr. Anne Maitland

tsm from UWS

Nothing controversial about it: Ringo does sneeze. It is known that he had a bad cold at the time of the rooftop sessions, and because of it was reluctant to participate. He looks miserable throughout the whole thing.

Mar. 23 2012 10:53 AM
Trixie from NYC, NY

I walked into a crowded room once, sneezed quite vociferously, and the air conditioner fell out the window.

Mar. 23 2012 10:48 AM
Lutonya from Ossining

Dr. Maitland is my family's allegist. She has been a miracle worker for my daughter. Great to hear her on WNYC!

Mar. 23 2012 10:48 AM
CaitlinMAc

EAT LOCAL HONEY! It helps develop an immunity to local pollens. See you at the farmers market!

Mar. 23 2012 10:46 AM
Peg

How does diet affect allergic reactions? When my husband cut out sugar and gluten his horrifying spring allergies went away.

Mar. 23 2012 10:45 AM
JKristal from brooklyn

Netty Pot! Surprised nobody mentioned this amazing, 3000 year old method for cleaning the nasal passages,,,getting all the pollen out..
j

Mar. 23 2012 10:45 AM
Molly from Westchester

Husband suffered from terribly allergies last week. Started taking a "dried yeast fermentate" and his allergies have stopped bothering him completely. It is not an immune system booster, but balances it and happens to help with asthma, allergies & over-active immune system problems. People jump in response to his incredibly strong sneeze... so glad it is over!

Mar. 23 2012 10:44 AM
Francine from NJ

HI, I'm from Brazil, which is a warm tropical Country and I never had allergy problems. But since I moved to NJ 4 years ago every spring I get worse, why?

Mar. 23 2012 10:44 AM
virginia guillian from NYC

RE: Local honey therapy

Researchers are divided over the effectiveness of local honey to mitigate seasonal allergies, but it’s working for me.

They say it takes about a year to kick-in. I started last May, and I religiously consumed one teaspoon a day everday. (I diluted it in iced-green tea, and took it like medicine.)

Usually, at this time of the year, my allergies are out of control! But now, I’m symptom-free. Amazing.

Mar. 23 2012 10:43 AM
Joel from Nyack, NY

I suffered from seasonal allergies from childhood through age 31 when I moved to Spain for a few years. The allergies ceased in Spain and never returned. I am now 70 and have had no further problems with allergies.

Mar. 23 2012 10:43 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

LOL........we knew that global warming would appear in this discussion.

Actually, it's Bush's fault.

Mar. 23 2012 10:42 AM
carolita from nyc

I went gluten-free (I've been dairy free except for a spoonful of yogurt and a dash of goat milk in my tea in the mornings forever) since Christmas, in a bid to see if that would reduce my debilitating hay fever. I spent my childhood getting allergy shots and have been taking allergy medicine for months every spring all my life. More than one friend of mine has gone gluten-free and discovered their hay fever has not come back. Well, so far, so good. I've sneezed a couple of times, but then I do live right next door to a park, where I walk the dog, and totally smell the pollen in the air. I mean I really can smell it, there's loads of it. But if I'm supposed to be sneezing now, then I'd say the gluten-free diet it helping! I feel good about it.

Mar. 23 2012 10:41 AM
dsf

health food section now has a whole section of allergy homeopathic remedies -- anybody know if any work? was just recommended quercetin?

so far the nasal irrigation/air filters keep things in check but i can tell this is going to be a horrible spring, the air islike a cloud of needles!

thanks for nuttin, climate change -- now i know i'm also allergic to migrated brazilian weeds that suddenly find new jersey quite comfortable, as have the brazilian stink bugs.

Mar. 23 2012 10:05 AM
Peter from Park Slope

That sneeze is from the original version of "The Taking of Pelham 123."

Mar. 23 2012 10:03 AM
Gary from Port Washington NY

Now that I am being overwhelmed by allergies, I am finding that when I eat any thing my nose runs. When your body is under assault from allergies does it develop a greater sensitivity to every thing and a greater level of reaction, or am I just perceiving a greater reaction?

Mar. 23 2012 03:56 AM