Grading State Corruption: New Jersey Scores Best?

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

In a new report that grades every state by transparency and corruption, New York ranks 36th and New Jersey is ranked as the least-corrupt state in the nation. WNYC reporters Cindy Rodriguez and Bob Hennelly discuss the findings, the (somewhat flawed) methodology, and what's important when it comes to measuring corruption.

Bob Hennelly and Cindy Rodriguez

Ballot Access and transparency of the Board of Elections: grade F,
unless your are a party boss.

Mar. 20 2012 12:04 PM
Brian from NJ

As a resident of Hoboken, and former resident of Chicago, I can attest that this is seriously flawed. At least when I paid my taxes in Chicago, I could call my local alderman for service. Chicago was corrupt but the government officials cared about their local voters in their ward. In NJ, and specifically Hoboken/Hudson county, I pay my huge tax bill and get nothing in return. Local government especially exists to keep itself in existence. They vote themselves friends and relatives into city council, etc and then vote themselves nice pay and benefit packages etc.

Mar. 20 2012 11:40 AM

Transparency exposes more problems so the more transparent a government is, the worse it is going to look. So can the snark about NJ, okay Brian? However, the level of corruption is rampant and the general attitude about 'Going along to get along' is way too high and getting a job on the public payroll is too often based on 'who you know'...That shouldn't be. I'll admit is was kind of a surprise to see that NJ was rated the best in the nation but I'll take it.

Mar. 20 2012 11:37 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

New Jersey - least corrupt in the country? What a joke. Oh, wait....After a 5 min call from Tony Soprano and a "convincing," colorfully worded text from Gov. Christie, I too - agree that the great state of New Jersey is the least corrupt. And nor does Jersey smell.

Mar. 20 2012 11:36 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Using comparable federal parameters.....what grades would the Obama Regime earn?

Budgets, transparency, political financing ???

Mar. 20 2012 11:33 AM
Jeremyfromharlem from Austin

Do the commentators feel that there are any missing categories?

Mar. 20 2012 11:32 AM
Leo from queens

Has anyone looked at how corporations are incorporated in NY State and how this is used by organized crime and other criminals to setup front LLCs and other corporations to basically hide behind in order to carry out their fraud and criminal activities?
It's mind buggling.

Plus look at the corruption the NYC Register where it's very easy to record fraudulent property documents in order to steal property or hold hostage property from unsuspecting property owners - specially for the poor and immigrant and the elderly as these organizations launder money through NYC real estate

Mar. 20 2012 11:32 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

Okay, so, this is a RELATIVE rather than ABSOLUTE rating.
NJ government, like American government in general, is too opaque, corrupt, unaccountable, inefficient, etc.

Mar. 20 2012 11:30 AM