Open Phones: Your Political Apostasies

Friday, March 16, 2012

What is the issue on which you disagree with the political tribe you usually agree with? Give us a call 212-433-9692 or post here!

Kevin from Long Island

I am a life-long liberal (but with a libertarian streak). Unlike other progressives, I’m opposed to "hate-crimes" legislation. When a perpetrator’s hate is the only difference between that person's violent crime and someone else's, it’s clear that a law that requires a harsher penalty is additionally punishing the hatred itself. We all have the freedom to love or hate another person, and to express it. We are not allowed, of course, to harm the person. So punish only for the actual criminal act, whether the offender was motivated by hatred for a group, or motivated "only" by depraved indifference to human life, jealousy, murder-for-hire, road rage, or old-fashioned greed.
I also oppose laws or sentencing guidelines requiring different treatment depending on who the victim was. Most liberals advocate special punishment if the victim is, say, elderly, a police officer, disabled, a prison guard, a child, a veteran, a cleric... (The list keeps growing because, after all, is there anyone who it's not-so-bad to victimize?) Punish for the crime committed, not for who the victim was. To do otherwise, in fact, denies equal protection to those who are not in one of the special classes.

Mar. 19 2012 12:27 AM

I'm pretty far left on most issues (especially economic ones) but as a person who has been involved with environmental causes for 20 years, I am enthusiastically pro-hunting.

I am turned off by the gun fetish in this country and the control the NRA has over politicians, but I disagree with my fellow lefties over hunting. Most of the hunters I have known over the years are more passionate towards conserving our dwindling open space and a healthy ecosystem than may self-professed environmentalists.

Mar. 16 2012 11:57 AM
Kikakiki from Harlem

I am leaning toward disagreeing on the issue of the oil pipeline. To callers about teachers, you do know curriculum and how you teach it is all the DOE not the teacher. The teacher today is almost a robot you have to do as the DOE tells you and then you bear the blame for what the DOE tells you to do, however I do agree tenure in 3 years is overreaching and should be dialed back to at least 7 years I also do not think overtime should be factored into retirement pay for any worker but I do know if there are no unions there are no guardians of the workers and finally on immigration for those brought here as children they should be allowed a pathway to citizenship how hard is it to put a cap on (i.e. if you are here as of 2012) you are under 21 you are allowed a path if you over 21 you have to leave and apply like everybody else parents of children born (before 2013) in U.S. may stay until child reaches 18 then they (the parents) have to leave and apply so if you just had a baby (2012) you're could be in the U.S. with a special green card and in 2030 (child is 18) card expires you have to leave and apply if you have another child after 2012 you will be leaving that child before it reaches 18 during your stay here you may not apply for welfare, and your S.S. does not count toward your quarters

Mar. 16 2012 11:44 AM
Scott from Westchester, NY

I'm liberal, and am very disappointed with Obama's stand on the PATRIOT Act and other civil liberties issues (whistleblowing, wiretapping, etc.)

Mar. 16 2012 11:43 AM
Anon

Sometimes I think people who support illegal immigration are actually racists who don't want to hire "one of their own" for demeaning "sh*t work" then they wrap their real intentions up in some progressive sounding hogwash.

Mar. 16 2012 11:41 AM
Avi from New York, Lower East Side

I'm a lefty, but I'm against 1) race-based affirmative action for admission to colleges and universities and 2) the mortgage tax deduction and other efforts to prop up housing prices.

If there's going to be affirmative action, it should be class-based. And the mortgage tax deduction and other home ownership giveaways are biased against those who can't or don't want to buy and are not economically efficient.

Mar. 16 2012 11:35 AM
Grace from Upper West Side

I am definitely a self-identified progressive, but I do not support many of the views of my progressive friends and colleagues on the issue of higher education for all. I do not believe that all students should go to college, and I definitely don't believe that public education should be adapted to meet the needs of students who are not in a place to handle the challenge. I teach in a public university. that has, I feel, watered down course work and requirements to accommodate a greater number of students--many of whom are woefully unqualified for the advanced work a university education should be providing. As a result, those students who are committed to the endeavor and who would benefit greatly from a more challenging environment are held back from real progress. I have had students in upper-level seminars at what was once considered a strong senior college who cannot write complete sentences or think critically about material. These students would benefit more from training that better fits their talents and their interests. As an educator in higher education--particularly in a public institution--my views would really horrify my colleagues if I voiced them.

Mar. 16 2012 11:33 AM
Ansis Vallens from Columbia County

How did illegal immigration even become a progressive issue? It's not tolerated elsewhere, even in the most liberal democracies. I have a theory. I think the educated classes have lost touch with the American working class. They used to mix. The draft was one way. Low-wage summer work was another way. But there is no draft and the low-wage jobs have gone to illegals. Educated people have little if any real interaction with working class people. Illegal immigration hurts working class Americans. It depresses wages, it limits opportunity, it strains resources. Finally. how is supporting a system that exploits poor people from other countries a good thing?

Mar. 16 2012 11:30 AM
Kate

@Sheldon: Actually, he had a visa with 2 sponsors, so he was legal all the way (as were all of my relatives...)

Mar. 16 2012 11:29 AM
Jake from Nassau County

I'm an anti-Immigration liberal Democrat; Not ideologically, it just happens to be bad for our economy; Uneducated immigrants take such low-paying jobs, that they or their kids will likely will be a burden on society: schools, hospitals, etc. They enable bad economic outcomes like over-fishing in New England. The H1-B visa deprives skilled citizens (especially older) of employment, job mobility and fair salaries. It also enables this insane computer-driven derivatives and high-frequency trading that have no (or negative) economic value. The dream act would make it easier to start stupid wars, since fewer citizens would have to serve.

Mar. 16 2012 11:28 AM
victor from Astoria

I am a very liberal/progressive and very much non-religious person, but I'm torn on the abortion issue. I'm completely for the rights of women and of choice. I am just unsure of when life begins, and when the practice becomes unethical.

Mar. 16 2012 11:26 AM
Rose from Norwalk

To Leo from Queens, thank you for your comments. I too agree with you in that the liberal who called about illegal immigration issue seem misinformed, insensitive and might I say selfish. I have very little personal experience with the the immigration issue but one issue this caller missed is the quotas that the US applies to each country. I will go out on a limb and say that the caller is from a European country or one that has a higher quota or a lower demand. Trying to immigrate from a country that have serious economic depression or lack of opportunities is far more difficult to do legally. She should be happy that she was able to migrate at all because not everyone can do that.

Mar. 16 2012 11:26 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Well said FT. We all lead lives too comlicated to put in Liberal/Demnocrat, Conservative/Republican boxes. Most people are too weak-willed to think for themselves

Mar. 16 2012 11:24 AM
Danny from Washington Heights

(progressive identity, think Bush is a war criminal etc.)

And - I agree that mandates for insurers to provide birth control and/ or abortion services violates the establishment clause. I get what the implications are and that, is in part why I did and still support a single payer public healthcare system.
I also agree that the so-called individual mandate is over stepping the spirit and intent of the commerce clause.

Also I didn't support the Libya invasion

Also I think the drone war is murder.

Also… well, so many things these days. uhg

Mar. 16 2012 11:22 AM
Francis

Ugh! Tha caller who said she is liberal but opposes illegal immigration because her family waited in line expressed a fundamental misunderstanding of illegal immigration. Its not that the bulk of illegals dont want to wait in line its that there is NO LINE to wait in. Most illegals especially unskilled workers with no family ties are simply not eligible for residency. They cant wait for their turn. Unless the law is changed their turn will NEVER come.

Mar. 16 2012 11:22 AM
John A.

I don't see this at all, Jessie Henshaw
"promoting efficiency ... always accelerat{es} resource use as a rule."
Please explain.

Mar. 16 2012 11:21 AM
Danny from Washington Heights

(progressive identity, think Bush is a war criminal etc.)

Also I didn't support the Libya invasion

Also I think the drone war murder.

Also… well, so many things these days. uhg

Mar. 16 2012 11:20 AM
FT from nyc

I don't know why people feel compelled to label themselves, for instance as a liberal or conservative. People are complex and don't neatly divide into two groups. Labeling yourself seems like a short cut to critical thinking on specific issues. It can close yourself off to ideas on the "other team".

Mar. 16 2012 11:20 AM
Helen from Brooklyn

I'm a progressive and care deeply for abortion rights but I am breaking with President Obama over his signing of the recent defense act that allows he president to kill and imprison Americans without due process. He said he thought it unconstitutional but he signed it anyway. Without habeus corpus and legal rights, eveything else I believe in can not be preserved. I am very devastated and it feels politically isolating to break with Obama and have no where else to go!

Mar. 16 2012 11:19 AM
rachel from red hook

I agree that we could raise the retirement age, and the age of eligibility for social security for workers in non-physically demanding jobs, and I consider myself a pro-labor leftist.

I also want to comment on the caller who is anti-undocumented immigrant. Not everyone gets to "wait in line" -- many people are turned away, specifically those coming from poorer nations and most egregiously, people coming from Mexico and Haiti who are explicitly denied traditional immigration paths such as the Green Card lottery, work and marriage -- i.e. these are racist policies. And my father's family and my husband, are immigrants.

Mar. 16 2012 11:19 AM
David Bergman from Long Island City

I am a "progressive" with a firm commitment to Keynesian economics, sound regulation and government out of the nation's bedrooms. However, as a Buddhist I believe the human life-cycle begins at the moment sperm meets egg at conception. I do not believe in legislating against abortion, but I do believe society should make all alternatives to abortion available to women and that abortion should be free and available - but very rare.

Mar. 16 2012 11:17 AM
leo from Queens

To the caller about Illegal and Undocumented Immigration:
What are you talking about? Whether you are legal or illegally here, the process to get a green card or citizenship takes a LONG time.. There is no law being proposed that would allow people already here illegally to just get a green card overnight!.

The problem with the delays now is stricter security requirements that make the whole process longer as the Immigration department relies on background checks from the FBI. Republicans have also been budgeting less money for fewer resources and that is why you have the multi year backlog and the exhorbitant high fees. - Whether you are here legally or illegally here and applying for a Green Card, the process takes years and there is no 'special' VIP or Short line for Illegals!

Mar. 16 2012 11:17 AM
Caitlin

I'm generally very liberal, but as someone who worked hard in high school in order to get scholarships for college, and went to an affordable state school because I didn't want to wrack up lots of debt, and has paid off all my student loans before I'm out of my twenties... I get kind of irritated when I hear all these NYU kids wanting their giant loans forgiven because they'll never be able to pay them off.

Mar. 16 2012 11:17 AM

I'm a right wing fanatic when I sit around the dinner table with my "bourgeois communist" family in the south of Italy and a Marxist when I sit around the table with family in the suburbs of Chicago!!

Mar. 16 2012 11:16 AM
jeff nichols from manhattan

Education reform : I am a liberal democrat and think federal intervention in education has at times been essential at times in the past (for example with desegregation), but No Child Left Behind and Race To The Top to me represent drastic and damaging over-reaching by the federal government and I believe education policy should be set at as local a level as possible.

Mar. 16 2012 11:16 AM
Cheryl from NYC

I disagree with most of my friends about Israel and Palestine. Many years ago I visited the W.Bank and Gaza with a Palestinian American. I believe Palestine is under occupation and is as close poltically to an aparteid state as South Africa was historically. I think if Jews visited the West Bank or Gaza they would be shocked and would radically change their views and see "the truth" which does not get reported by the press in the US.

Mar. 16 2012 11:15 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

So that means the caller's husband was undocumented while he was waiting for his green card.

Mar. 16 2012 11:15 AM
Jessie Henshaw from way uptown

I usually agree with sustainability advocates, but I'm a good enough economist to realize that promoting efficiency is profitable and attracts growing investment, and always accelerating resource use as a rule.

That's been known for over 100 years, but efficiency today has become our main world policy for reducing resource use, though it quite observably has the exact opposite effect. It's one of several examples of how social thinking defines crazy versions of reality, and gets us in enormous trouble.

Mar. 16 2012 11:14 AM
Jenna from UWS

I can't agree with Obama's unwavering support of all Israel policy and speaking infront of AIPAC.

Mar. 16 2012 11:13 AM
Roscoe from New York

As a Democratic family, we tend towards a pro-life ethic (with some measure of in-family dissent, still) and a pro-capital punishment-in-extreme-situations position, along with a questioning stance towards the value of unions and their power during difficult economic times (e.g. paying for generous pensions through higher taxes; that seems to be unsustainable or unfair any more). Otherwise, we're good moderate Democrats!

Mar. 16 2012 11:13 AM
mhg from ny ny

im young, liberal and a woman, and have always voted democrat. But im not pro-choice. more in the vein of eunice kennedy + nat hentoff. i cant be the only one.

Mar. 16 2012 11:12 AM
Mark Mazur from Irvington NY

Im usually pro-union they have fought for and defend working class peoples' quality of life. However, overtime should never be -or have been- factored into retirement pay. It's enabled outrageous abuses & unjustly high payouts. That the NY State Legislature failed to address this, as noted in your last segment, is a further outrage. We wont be able to afford labor / jobs for necessary services because of the cost of retired workers benefits.

Mar. 16 2012 11:11 AM
Impatient

"If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of them is doing the thinking." - LBJ

Mar. 16 2012 11:11 AM
francyne pelchar from Pelham Bay Park

I'm a liberal for the most part, on most issues. However, I support capital punishment.

Mar. 16 2012 11:10 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I have always been an independent thinker who invariably disagreed with the "conventional wisdom" of the herd, which is why I am a lone wolf. I only agree with what my experiences in life taught me invariably the hard way.
Experience is the only true teacher.

Mar. 16 2012 11:10 AM
Pearse

Murdering U.S. citizens with drones. I used to think that Democracts were against unlawfull killing. I was under the impression that when the President broke the law, regardless of party afilliation, was wrong and illegal.

Mar. 16 2012 11:08 AM
RL

Late-term abortion.

I deeply believe in the woman's right to control her body and that abortion should always be safe and legal. But... at some point, if you don't do the responsible thing, you forfiet that right to terminate... say in the last 3 or 4 months.

Mar. 16 2012 10:58 AM

Every illegal immigrant should be sent back to their native country.

Perhaps, they can earn their way on to a short line for re-admittance by helping to build a high-speed rail line to some Mexican (or Canadian) cities but if you entered the country illegally rather than expect the use of our education and healthcare systems, what you ought to expect is certain deportation.

The Reagan Rule of not allowing re-admittance for a year has just caused entire families to come to the U.S. illegally. NAFTA's impact on Mexican wages also needs to made clearly.

Mar. 16 2012 10:52 AM
Denise Galligan from New Jersey

I always vote Democratic and I am approaching Senior citizenship yet I think we could bump up the age for soc sec collecting for most non-physical workers but that we should also raise the cap on wages for it.
Love your show Brian.

Mar. 16 2012 10:47 AM

The war in Afghanistan. I have always thought the troubles we’ve had are linked to the fact that after the cold war we abandoned the afghans. Now again too many say pull out now. we are the only protection to modernity in afghanistan and pakistan. Pull out too soon and we will be back. I don’t mind Karzai’s corruptions as longs as the roads and schools stay open and it’s safer to do business.

Mar. 16 2012 10:37 AM
oscar from ny

Many believe left or right democrats or republicans day or night good or bad yes or no etc...can or is there such a thing as a whole or one?....

Mar. 16 2012 10:13 AM