The Gurus of How-To Spring Forward

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Gurus of How-To, Al Ubell and Larry Ubell, are here to offer advice on home repair matters, from maintaining your furnace getting your air conditioners ready for the season.

Call 212-433-9692 with your questions or leave a comment below!

Al Ubell and Larry Ubell

Kathleen E Vignolini from Long Branch, NJ

I was listening to the Ubell's & there were 2 items that caught my attention, so I tried to find larryubell.com - site, but it says it doesn't exist. What gives? There isn't a link on the Lopate show, how come?

Mar. 14 2012 02:15 PM
John Street from Charleston, WV

Oh darn--ratchet. Great show!

Mar. 14 2012 01:59 PM
Janine from NYC

My bathtub (enamel) got damaged during a renovation - chip the size of a dime.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

Mar. 14 2012 01:56 PM
John Street from Charleston, WV

Your quiz--the answer is the LEVER.

Mar. 14 2012 01:55 PM
Jean from NYC

I love your show, and I remember one when you advise a listener about air purifier.
 I am looking for an efficient air purifier for an approx. 800 SQ. FT. I looked around and I found those that require a regularly filter replacement which makes them significantly costly. I remember seeing an TV commercial, advertising one with washable filter (a while ago I remember a TV commercial which was advertising one with washable filter).
 Would you recommend any  without filter replacement ?
I prefer a HEPA but it doesn't have to be because the purpose is to keep the air and area free of dust
 Please advise. Thank you

Mar. 14 2012 01:54 PM
Manny

My wife wants new tiles in the bathroom -- is it practical to put new tile over the existing tiles?

Mar. 14 2012 01:49 PM
Anita

Hi guys! Gotta a little baby who Has just now started to sleep in his own room
On the second floor of our 1958 Cape here in northern NJ. We have vents on the second floor bringing forced air in, but no returns? I'm thinking our little guy is going get pretty hot this summer. But my husband thinks he'll be okay with the AC on. Our bedroom is downstairs so we won't be on the same floor, but we want to make it as comfortable as possible for him. Need to put in the vents?

Mar. 14 2012 01:47 PM
Grace F. from Cape Cod, MA

I need to turn on the water in my house elsewhere. The water was turned off by a plumber so that it would not freeze in the pipes. Please go through the procedure for turning on the water. The plumber is not available for when I need the water to be turned on.

It involves the basement and valves, etc.

Mar. 14 2012 01:40 PM
Danielle Jensen

i know that you have discussed this before but please explain how to wash a window ac. do i take the whole thing out of the window? is it really necessary? I'm imagining that it's really heavy.

Mar. 14 2012 01:40 PM
Bill from Dover NJ

Electrical questionable; 1936 home which had renova in '60's
How do I verify what kind of wiring is in house (ie aluminum or copper). And how important is it to replace all outlets w/ 3 hole grounded?

Mar. 14 2012 01:37 PM
Adam from Bay Ridge

Do the gurus have any advice on how to remove dried excess grout from bathroom tile?

Mar. 14 2012 01:36 PM