Open Phones: What's in Your Storage Unit?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Listeners: Call in and tell us what's in your storage unit (mini or otherwise) and why you pay that second rent. Why is that stuff in storage instead of in your home or in the trash--and what do you think it says about you? Call 212-433-WNYC or comment here!

Jordan

Thank you for sharing. We have so much stuff in our <a href="http://www.storagekingarthur.com/storage-units-west-valley-city-utah/">storage units in south salt lake</a>. Do you know of a cheaper place close by?

Feb. 12 2013 06:46 PM
mike from long island

for the most part, storage units are a scam. i owned an auto shop and looked into storing a car i only drove in the summer, get it out of the shop for the winter. the price per square foot of the storage unit was the as i was paying for a modern, brick and mortar building that had heat, electric, water, a bathroom and was maintained. for the same price in a storage unit.great business model, putting up prefab shacks with no utilites, one lite bulb and charging commercial rents. also, most people tire of the monthly rent and end up tossing out all the stuff they paid months of rent to store. you have to realy think it out before you do it. do you REALLY need to save it? are you REALLY going to use it again??

Mar. 13 2012 03:15 PM
Eugenia Renskoff from Brooklyn, NY

Hi, You touched on a subject that has bothered me for many years. I have had things in storage since about 2000. They are dear things to me and I have kept thousands of dollars to have someone keep them for me. I have no idea when I will see my belongings again and when I will be able to enjoy them. I am talking about family momentos and books and Wedgwood china. I think you should do a segment with more time to discuss what different stuff means to people and why they pay to have it somewhere else. I am in Brooklyn and my stuff is in Northern California. Eugenia Renskoff

Mar. 13 2012 02:04 PM
Penny from Downtown

My tools are in our tenement apartment since I use them all the time, but I store the red shelving and hooks and several gallons of grey enamel paint for my fantasy wood shop.

Mar. 13 2012 12:06 PM
Carol from bronx, ny

we live in a two-bedroom apartment with limited space, we store our christmas decorations, and extra stuff we can not fit in our apartment in our buildings storage unit..we are trying to down-size however it's difficult with limited space.

Mar. 13 2012 12:05 PM
Muriel from CT

You save the stuff associated with successes in your life. Reading them again, looking at medals, cups, letters, etc. makes you feel that your life was not a total waste. As you age, this is a very reaffirming process - gosh, I guess I was not a total failure and I did accomplish some things. I even accomplished more than I thought I did, more than I remember doing/experiencing. You can also pull up the names of people who still owe you money!

Mar. 13 2012 12:02 PM
Mathieu from 10017

I collect storage unit. I have 2 small ones in Albany ! Love the revenue.

Mar. 13 2012 11:57 AM
Susan from Upper West Side

Does a locker in a Martial Arts studio count? We have one bedroom apartment and it really helps to keep my uniforms and belts at the studio rather than trying to stuff it into the minimal amount of space we have for clothes! The locker is expensive, but our rent is cheap so I figure its an extension of our apartment.

Mar. 13 2012 11:57 AM
Debbie from nyc

I just want to say that I recently went with someone to help organize/clean out her storage unit and there were mice feces everywhere. The facility looked pretty nice fromt the outside, but these places are not clean!

Mar. 13 2012 11:56 AM

Here's the cure for storage unit addicts: Watch a marathon of "Storage Wars" on History Channel. Watch people trade in your treasures like so much trash. It sent right to my unit to close out the next day!!

Mar. 13 2012 11:56 AM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

What WAS in my storage unit was everything that used to fit in my duplex apartment, that couldn't fit into a 1 bedroom; dining room furniture, my antique bike collection, books, records, patio furniture, kitchen stuff, the nice dinner ware, etc. Once my husband and I bought a house, everything came out of the storage unit and I am happy to see all of our furniture and books and music again.

Mar. 13 2012 11:55 AM
CL from NYC

No, Brian, this junk radio isn't "so interesting." Give me a break.

Mar. 13 2012 11:55 AM
Alter from brooklyn

I live illegally in a storage unit, and have for about 5 years. In terms of 'holding on to stuff', I collect packaging, in case I ever have to leave suddenly. I hope to get a job in my field soon, in order that I could live in a normal apartment.

Mar. 13 2012 11:55 AM
Jon Pope from Ridge, NY

2 large roll-away toolboxes full of hand tools and power tools worth about 10 grand that would not fit in with the living room decor....

Mar. 13 2012 11:53 AM