Andy Borowitz on An Unexpected Twist

Friday, March 09, 2012

The very funny Andy Borowitz joins us to take a look at a very serious intestinal ailment that almost killed him. His first ever memoir is called An Unexpected Twist.

Andy Borowitz

judith zucker from morristown, nj

I was sick for 16 months! with issues involving my colon... they finally took the whole thing out! it was been pretty much of a nightmare. many many surgeries to repair and refine previous surgeries.. oy.. don't ask.
I wrote about it when I came home the first time after being in the hospital 28 days.. but the words were actually painful to look at.. what i had experienced was way too much to manage.. it took me months to write about it without having a melt down!
anyway.. my story is LONG, but so are many people's about their large intestines.. and it is just starting to be talked about... i mean it's all about going to the bathroom!
It was great to hear Andy's story... a fellow journey-er into a place no one should have to travel..
thanks

Mar. 09 2012 04:29 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

We've got to hook up Susan, Amy, and Andy for a roundtable, something like "The View," and listen to everyone babble on about their surgical escapades.

Mar. 09 2012 01:15 PM
susan from Upper West Side

First of all, I am shocked at jgarbuz's comment. How hostile can you get? Second, it was very interesting to hear about yoru the reactions to the surgery itself. Having had four surgeries myself -- two for fibroadenomas, one for my son's birth because he had a transverse head, and one for a broken wrist, I have to say that the recovery from surgery was often more painful than the condition that led to the surgery. I never had an abdominal twist, but I did have severe inexplicable abdominal pain in Niger. The Peace Corps doctor threatened to take my appendix when he had no other idea of what to do. I know the feeling of having doctors look at you in a way that you know they are nervous about your survival because the Peace Corps doctor and the local French doctor at the supposedly GOOD hospital were notably nervous. The Peace Corps doctor washed his hands of me when I agreed to IV quinine proposed by the French doctor. The IVprobably killed all sorts of parasites I had acquired during my days of international work. No one ever did figure out what caused my "twisted pain" but after the IV quinine which made me quite delirious, I recovered. As for recovery from surgery, I really feel that the physical therapist I used for recovery from my wrist break did far more than any surgeon in the repair of the surgical site. I still have intermittent pain in all the other areas of surgery.

Mar. 09 2012 01:07 PM
Amy from Manhattan

...and I should add that if you're at the ER & your pain suddenly gets noticeably better, tell the triage people how bad your pain **was**, not how bad it is at that moment!

Mar. 09 2012 01:03 PM
Elle from Brooklyn

Very funny interview about a very serious subject (this sounds very similar to an illness that my poor little niece had a few years ago). I laughed out loud. Favorite line - "I think that the Republican race has come dangerously close to qualifying as a prank."

Mar. 09 2012 01:01 PM

OMG (i mean D_g!)

Me and jaggerbuttzz agree on something!!!

wow!

Mar. 09 2012 12:59 PM

US Surgical made a stapler for such surgery.
It stapled the sectioned colon ends together, and trimmed the excess with one pull of a handle.

Mar. 09 2012 12:59 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Actually, with appendicitis a reduction in pain usually means it's gotten dangerously worse--a lot of the pain comes from the distention of the appendix, & when it bursts, it hurts less, but the bacteria are getting into the bloodstream.

Mar. 09 2012 12:58 PM
margaret krug

I have a very close friend, a laparoscopic surgeon, who also teaches fellows. He suggested to not have a fellow, intern or even resident do abdominal surgery on you, if possible. He said that, if you are somewhat new at it, everything can look alike in there.

Mar. 09 2012 12:57 PM

I'm glad Andy is okay and survived this ordeal. I'm sorry he had to go through this painful and frighting illness except...

Does hypochondria REALLY make for good literature??

Mar. 09 2012 12:57 PM
Marilyn from Westchester County

Speaking of stiches being either staples or needle and thread, staples were used on me after my first C-section and I ended up with a wound infection. My second C-section ended with needle and thread and that worked out much better than the staples.

Mar. 09 2012 12:57 PM