What We Learned from Super Tuesday

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

NPR national political correspondent Mara Liasson discusses the results from yesterday's Super Tuesday contests - from Romney's razor-thin win in Ohio to Santorum's victories in Oklahoma and Tennessee. Explore the Super Tuesday results map below!

Mara Liasson

ileen

Where are today's segments? They're still not online.

Mar. 07 2012 02:21 PM
Jack Jackson from Cental New Jersey

Why does Ms. Liasson quote the 'Republican base' at 45-47%? Last I heard (after Bush's blowing up the economy and the Democratic rout in 2008) the percent of self-avowed Republicans was 20% nationwide. I realize that number was low but I think that 47% is way too high. However, if this is the mental figure that Ms. Liasson is walking around with in her head it can account for her over-representing GOP positions in her coverage. My walking around number is 25% GOP, 35% Democratic and 40% Independent.

Tepid response from the Democrats and confusion/revulsion on the part of the Independents is most of the reason that the GOP took back the House in 2010.

Mar. 07 2012 11:10 AM
kikakiki26 from New York City

Why is the press downplaying the fact that Romney won 6 out of 10 states, twice what Santorum won that Santorum was ahead in Ohio and Romney however pulled ahead in a very short time span and won and Newt has more delegates than Santorum so why is the media hyping Santorum like he has done sometime great and it may not be politically correct to say, but just as some whites will not vote for a black (see Ohio were exit polls in many areas say voters there will vote for anyone but Obama, this in a area heavily dependent on the automotive industry which Obama saved) most evangelicals are Not going to vote for a Mormom, yes, you will have a small number of good christians willing to overlook his Mormonism but that is why he will not do well in the South, Bible Belt and how can anyone say Santorum is doing well among women when he attacks their intelligence, their ability to control their bodies and his assault on education the american dream is to own a house and give your children a better education than you had so women may be giving lip service to Santorum but I have to believe the ballot box will reflect differently. I like Barbara Bush am appalled by this election season, candidates who have said done or implied such outrageous things are still in the race it gives me goose bumps about our future we better cover mental health in the health care bill because the entire U.S. may need to be committed if we don't call this ship of fools what it is

Mar. 07 2012 10:57 AM
anna from new york

I am not commenting on Tuesday. I am commenting on Wednesday's opening.
Dear Brian, sorry to inform you, but history matters. There have been some rulers who "brought peace." The "peace" of one of the most known cost many dozens of millions of human lives.
Send Americans to school or we see the destruction of the world. The world doesn't need idiotic non-ethical "ethical society" and NPR babbling about hugging and smiling.

Mar. 07 2012 10:46 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Ken,

Govt mandates are almost never a good thing. There should have been a public option, Obama just didn't have the spine to demand one

Mar. 07 2012 10:31 AM
Bill from New Rochelle

So, Barbara Bush thinks this is the 'worst campaign?'

What about her son, George, making calls on the eve of the SC primary, inferring that John McCain has fathered a black baby?

What about that same son stealing the Honor from all decorated American soldiers, by setting up a lying group called "Swiftboaters for Truth" to lie about Sen. Kerry's earning a Silver Star medal?

This crop may be lame, but they are less despicable than the last two GOP fields.

Mar. 07 2012 10:26 AM
John A.

The things Santorum says makes me ask how did he ever got his multiple advanced degrees (incl. JD).

Mar. 07 2012 10:22 AM
Tom from UWS

If Santorum managed to get the nomination we would likely see not a smaller but larger turnout in the general. I for one would work hard to see he was defeated. I believe - and hope - that independents would find Santorum an impossible alternative.

Mar. 07 2012 10:21 AM
Judith from Brooklyn

I admit I don't follow the Romney campaign closely, but his post-primary speeches have been, without exception, content free. I've never heard him say what he would do to achieve his promise to improve the economic situation. Is his platform just the tired Republican ideas of lowering taxes (a proven failure) and cut government spending on social programs - plus the 2012 addition of waging war on women's health and relegating women to second class citizenry?

Mar. 07 2012 10:19 AM
Ken

If a government health care mandate is the end of freedom, then what would it mean if the government mandated that women weren't access to basic reproductive services? How is that freedom?

Mar. 07 2012 10:18 AM
The Truth from Becky

The constant mentioning of President Obama's name is subliminal, I love it, I hope everyone walks in the voting booth and selects OBAMA!!

Mar. 07 2012 10:15 AM
The Truth from The Truth

Easy to make a promise to turn the economy around - when it is already turning around!!

Mar. 07 2012 10:14 AM