Open Phones: Your Best Idea in the Last Year

Friday, March 02, 2012

Call us and tell us about the best idea you've had in the last year. It can be anything--big or small. Did you come up with a way to solve the energy crisis, if only the world would listen? Did you come up with a new iPad app? Did you decide to ban watching TV in bed? Did you decide to break up with your partner and go solo? Call us up with your best idea of the last year. 212-433-WNYC, comment here, or tweet #bestidea!

Josh Levine

Vegans do not read this... Cook chicken stock by simmering ingredients (incl lots of pepper, coriander seeks, and ginger too) for 24-30 hours. Nutty, deep and wildly rich. After 12-18 hours take out bones and crack em, then toss back in to enrich stock w marrow. Putting beef bones in chicken stock another slick idea -- so is dropping a few eggs in there for a few hours for more depth and crazy good hardboiled eggs.

Mar. 02 2012 01:59 PM
Amy. from Manhattan

My best idea so far this year: melt caramel chocolate cups on banana bread when reheating slices. They go so well together, & it's delicious! Further ideas for any dieters cursing me right now: make the b-bread w/whole wheat & egg whites, & cut both the slice & the caramel cup in half.

Mar. 02 2012 12:37 PM
Kerneldax from Danbury, CT

(Danbury listener) Was tired of the lame cable TV content, so when a new provider came to town offering unbundled service, I cut the cable, kept the net access, and bought a Roku box. Now I get Netflix, TED, free Amazon Prime content, and NYC radio through my TV. Also get Al Jazeera, a terrific, BBC-like network, unavailable on U.S. cable. Couldn't get superbowl or Oscars, but I'm saving at least $50/month.

Mar. 02 2012 11:59 AM
sadie from washington heights

Putting stray cats to work on my street and getting rid of rats! I learned how to do TNR (trap, neuter, return) which is a program to reduce population growth of stray cats while keeping our streets rat-free! Once neutered, the cats are returned to their territory, fed every day, and sheltered (styrofoam box shelters out of sight). They don't yowl, mate, spray, or tear into garbage bags, fighting for food. But they do keep my street rat-free!

Go, Cats!

Mar. 02 2012 11:53 AM
Ralph

I got the book "Forgotten New York" (As a wnyc pledge gift). Now my 14 year old son and I go out and explore the city using the book. It has brought us closer.

Mar. 02 2012 11:48 AM
Amy from Manhattan

A subway transfer app. The MTA had a contest for apps for the subway system. Unfortunately, you had to be able to program the app, which I don't know how to do, but my app would have let riders see how soon the train they needed to transfer to would come into the station, so they'd know whether they needed to rush to catch it or could take their time. Which gives me another idea: ask riders what apps they'd like to have, even if they can't write the code for it themselves.

Mar. 02 2012 11:48 AM
Matt from Morris County, NJ

Best idea this year... to listen to WNYC on the way to and from work rather than the radio stations I used to listen to. :)
Very informative and entertaining.

Mar. 02 2012 11:47 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

My best idea: Ship the extremist Republican party to a small island in the Pacific and return sanity to America.

Mar. 02 2012 11:46 AM
John A.

Just a amall idea.
If I owe you 50c per download (thanks), then for 2011 I could justify giving you $15.00 for your pledge drive.

Mar. 02 2012 11:46 AM
Denise from Sea Cliff New York

Stop harrassing my high school and middle school kids to be straight 'A' students and accept them for who they are.

Mar. 02 2012 11:43 AM
Phil from Brooklyn

An iPad App that lets you do a search through over 60 different sheet music books simultaneously to instantly find 1 song amongst thousands. The app is called; iGigBook.

Mar. 02 2012 11:42 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

My best idea was finally buying a garlic press. It's definately the most underrated piece of kitchen equipment.

Mar. 02 2012 11:42 AM
Daphne M. from Armonk, NY

Put my kids in Spanish camp while my husband and I enjoyed the joys of Madrid every day from 9-7 pm, great vacation!

Mar. 02 2012 11:42 AM
Lee from Manhattan

Two
ideas:

Tie the minimum wage in percentages to Congressional Salaries

Investigate the ways in which each member of Congress's family originally enetered the U

Mar. 02 2012 11:41 AM

The e-Teach-to-Reader. It combines eInk technology with speech to text and graduated phonics and reading exercises. Anyone at any age can learn to read. No embarrassment. It just takes will (and money).

It is coming out as an app for iPad and droid soon. Once we raise enough capital it will debut as a dedicated device.

Mar. 02 2012 11:40 AM
Susan from Upper West Side

Applying the principles of Super Better (thank you Brian for putting the creators on the air) to breastfeeding support. It is amazing how well gaming theory works for breastfeeding support. Be prepared in a couple of years to have me on when the book is finished! The multiples paths provided by gaming theory work so much better than linear thinking on the "one true path" when it comes to infant feeding.

Mar. 02 2012 11:39 AM
Laura from Staten Island

My idea is that WNYC could set up a pledge-free stream. After we pledge, members would be given a code, to login to that stream. Then only people who haven't pledged would listen to the membership drive, and all of us who have already, "Done our part," could go back to normal programing.

Mar. 02 2012 11:38 AM
John from Financial District

My best idea this past year has been that I picked up running. I joined Frontrunners, a wonderful GLBT running group in the city and now run about 25 miles a week. Over the past year, I ran a marathon, numerous half marathons and many, many short runs. I am amazed at how running has improved my over well-being. I am happier and feel less stressed.

Mar. 02 2012 11:37 AM

Best idea I had this past year was to delete my FB account, so that I now feel liberated from all the drama and feel that those friends who actually call me are the best. I was tired to feeling I needed to check fb, which in retrospect was useless and a waste of my time. Yay for my will power.

Mar. 02 2012 11:37 AM
lucy from Brooklyn

Idea in response to the backlash against women expressed by the Neanderthal Republicans in Congress and Senate called "No more coat hangers" accompanied with a "We won't go back" slogan.

Mar. 02 2012 11:36 AM
The Truth from Becky

Quit Facebook!

Mar. 02 2012 11:34 AM
solomon from nyc

To leave the country until sanity returns...until the radical right buries itself completely and the GOP returns to the responsibility of the party of Taft, Eisenhower and Lincoln.
We need a two party system, but not the obscene partisan divisiveness we are now seeing.

Mar. 02 2012 11:15 AM
Nicole from Highland Park, NJ

The best idea I had was to start challenging my colleagues by saying the things to them that I feel like I should not say. For example, my mentor is a consultant to a major global firm that I recently learned has some pretty bad elements in its supply chain, which negatively affect our local community. I have been thinking i shouldn't rock the boat and bring this up to him, but I recently decided if he has the ear of the CEO, why not challenge him to call the guy out on his company's harmful practices?

Mar. 02 2012 11:04 AM
fran heyman from westchester

the best idea i have had is to have hospitals give every new mother/baby a set of those hard cover cardboard baby books (letters, numbers, colors, shapes, animals). they could give these along with the set of diapers and formula that they usually send home with new moms. this way, every single new baby would have the tools that are needed to get a good start in life, right in their homes.

there is a not for profit, "reach out and read," that coordinates with doctors offices and gives away a book when kids come for their checks-ups, but my idea is more comprehensive.

Mar. 02 2012 10:45 AM