Mark Bittman Goes Back to Basics

Friday, March 02, 2012

Mark Bittman, author of How to Cook Everything, returns to discuss the fundamentals of cooking. His new book, How to Cook Everything The Basics: All You Need to Make Great Food, is an absolutely essential beginner's cookbook and an a guide for experienced cooks. From dicing vegetables and roasting meats to cooking meals that include salads, soups, poultry, meats, fish, sides, and desserts, Bittman explains what every home cook should know.

Mark Bittman

Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food

Jacques Pepin~

How to Cook Everything The Basics: All You Need to Make Great Food

Mark "Jacques Pepin" Bittman formally Mark "Michael Pollan" Bittman~

Has this guy EVER had an original idea???

Mar. 05 2012 09:40 PM
jdd from Brooklyn

To Carole or anyone else looking for Japanese food items: Mr. Bittman is probably referring to Sunrise Market, a Japanese grocery store in the East Village (and another location in Midtown, I believe). It has a good variety of things from high-end to junk food for pretty good prices.

Mar. 03 2012 05:44 PM
Carole from NYC currently exiled in Florida listening via podcast

Mark Bittman mentioned some really good Miso available on 9th Street. Does anyone know where exactly he was referring to? I know there are several Japanese restaurants on East 9th Street. Would love to know the name of the precise one he was referring to.

Mar. 02 2012 02:37 PM
Celia from Brooklyn

Has bittman (my absolute favorite constant go-to guide) ever thought about writing for/participating in the world of children's education? Seems to me like the best investment in changing the way people think about food (or anything for that matter) is through teaching kids.

Mar. 02 2012 12:52 PM
barbara from NYC

Why can't fresh porcini mushrooms be bought in this country?

Mar. 02 2012 12:51 PM
Margaret

Regarding the "sugar" issue - we need to stop allowing food stamps being used for buying soft drinks and junk food. That would be a good step in the right direction

Mar. 02 2012 12:49 PM
Shelley from Wisconsin

Why are there so few cookbooks that feature low/no salt recipes? Would Mr. Bittman consider writing such a cookbook?

Mar. 02 2012 12:48 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Crockpots are also great for cooking dried beans, & it doesn't take much time. Rinse the beans, put them & the water in the crockpot, turn it on, & let them cook while you do other things.

Mar. 02 2012 12:48 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Broccoli leaves are great for both taste & nutrition. But most stores strip them off the stalks! At least you can *get* the greens from turnips & beets!

Mar. 02 2012 12:46 PM
emmanuel

Does Mr. Bittman have any comments about food which is difficult to digest, ie stale bread and stews.. Ive heard stories that in medieval times, they had no plates, just really stale bread instead. that everything was about prolonging the stew and using it on that bread... Is our body made to digest somewhat 'rotten' food?

Mar. 02 2012 12:44 PM
Rachel from Sunset Park

Hi,
Can you recommend a cookbook that features vegetables as the main course for dinner, lunch or breakfast?
Thanks,
Rachel

Mar. 02 2012 12:42 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I find that Pacific Foods organic mushroom broth is great to add to soups. Maybe not all storebought broths are equal!

Mar. 02 2012 12:42 PM
CR from NJ

Making tuna salad while listening to you two - sorry Mark, it DOES matter how I mince my onion, and how evenly I chop my celery, I'd turn up my nose BIG TIME if I found variably sized vegetable chunks in my dinner (when I'll be having it, I like a little buffer time between making food and eating it up). It takes so little extra time, and makes the end result so much more appetizing. To me, at least. Your hip to be sloppy style kinda bugs me. Love you Lenny - I'd sous chef 4 u anytime!

Mar. 02 2012 12:42 PM
David from West Hempstead

Alton Brown's Good Eats is one of the most informative television shows of all time.

Mar. 02 2012 12:40 PM
Shannon from UES

Ok, he just summed up reality tv in two words "Competition and Cleavage"

Genius

Mar. 02 2012 12:39 PM
rachel from NYC

In terms of stock, what does Mark think of seaweed sheets? Or using dried mushrooms?

Mar. 02 2012 12:38 PM

Populist Michael Pollan-light snoozefest.

Please, not another...!

zzz.

Mar. 02 2012 12:35 PM
Mary from Cold Spring

I've bought his how to cook everything vegetarian, and love it, is there a lot of meat in this book? I really prefer the pictures to help with the outcome, and wonder if he will be doing a "picture" book update for the vegetarian volume.

Mar. 02 2012 12:28 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Actually, arsenic does have some medical uses in small doses! There was even a mystery (short story) based on this.

Mar. 02 2012 12:23 PM
connie from nj

Ever since Mr. Bittman stopped making his wonderful videos for the Dining section of the Times, I have no desire to read that section. I lived for his videos--my coworker and I called Wednesday 'Bittmanday'.

Mar. 02 2012 12:12 PM
Susana MacLean from Westfield, NJ

Please tell Mark Bittman that I love his cookbooks, and have bought several, but the bindings on his How to Cook Everything are terrible! The pages just fall out and the book falls apart. This was true of his second edition, too. Has this latest edition had a new binding process to prevent further problems with recipes dropping out and getting mixed up?

Mar. 02 2012 12:12 PM