Backstory: NYPD surveillance Tactics

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Over the last 6 months, a series of Associated Press reports have revealed some of the tactics used by the New York City Police Department in their counterterrorism operations since 2001, including a human mapping program in some minority neighborhoods and infiltrating mosques and Muslim student groups. Associated Press reporters Adam Goldman and Matt Apuzzo, two members of the investigative team, discuss the series, which won the George Polk Award for Metropolitan Reporting earlier this week.

Matt Apuzzo and Adam Goldman

Adonis from Newark

schizo police NYPD it implies that 9/11 was a cover up and they are nervous and perturbed mentally and this explains the guilt which they cannot overcome psychologically...Everyone should know that an International foriegn element controls the administrative and political ideas of New York. New York is the United Nations ran by Zionists.

Feb. 28 2012 07:42 PM
JK from NJ

Wish I had a chance to comment while the show was on. As an former NY'er who lived through 911, and worked inside the NYPD, the mentality from that day has been not only "Never Forget, but also "Never Again". The POV is that the NYPD cannot expect or rely on any federal agency as having it's best interest with regards to security. The federal govt (DIA,FBI,CIA,NSA) didn't follow or chose to ignore connecting the dots and NY can't expect that they will come through in the future.

Back in September Commissioner Kelley mentioned this fact on the Brian Lehrer show; '..we have no other choice but to take a proactive role, not just with the Intelligence division, but with other units as well'. The work is to 'supplement, not supplant'. What that boils down to is that they have intel operations world wide.

Never Again

Feb. 23 2012 03:34 PM
P Deli from Brooklyn

My ex-girlfriend is muslim and pakistani. For what it's worth, and admittedly anecdotal, she claimed that she did not like going to some mosques (brooklyn?) because there was often anti-American rhetoric/propaganda.

Feb. 23 2012 01:54 PM
Leo from Queens

This is illegal activity- It is illegal for the FBI and the CIA to conduct these activities - Are there any laws that give the NYPD special legal powers/exceptions to conduct illegal activities not just in NYC but across the country?

Bloomberg, Kelly and Quinn have to resign! This is supposed to be a democracy

Feb. 23 2012 01:51 PM
unnamed from unnamed

I moved to NYC in Summer 2003. I am a bearded African-American male; I am not Muslim. At the risk of sounding mentally-unstable, I many times confided to close friends that I was being surveilled by what I termed "agents". Now that the story is being widely reported I can testify that these "agents" were employing pschy-ops tactics to create disruptions in everyday life while I was in NYC. There always seemed to be persons in close proximity posing strange questions or attempting to gain my favor. I appreciate and enjoy your show, Leonard.

Feb. 23 2012 01:51 PM
b

Law Enforcement not intelligence gathering

NYPD is way out of line on this one.

Feb. 23 2012 01:44 PM
Leo from Queens

Please ask a question as to whether the NYPD has become organization to which the CIA and the FBI have outsources activities for which it would be illegal to conduct based on the existing laws in the country.. If so, shouldn't this discussion be conducted in Congress?

Why is the NYPD carrying out activities that should be the pervue of the CIA or the dept of Homeland Security.

I agree that our NYPD should have a team that is professional and well prepared and efficient in looking at terrorist threats and other organized crime threats.. but not doing the overextended spying that they are currently carrying out WITHOUT any oversight.

If they are going to perform federal surveillance work then there should be oversight from the Federal government and should be paid out of the Federal budget

Feb. 23 2012 01:42 PM