Interracial Marriage at All Time High

Friday, February 17, 2012

Fifteen percent of new marriages are between spouses of different races--and 8.4% of all marriages in the United States are between people of different races. That's an all-time high. Paul Taylor, executive vice president of Pew Research Center, director of Pew Research Center’s Social & Demographic Trends project, and editor of the new report on interracial marriage in the United States, discusses the trend.

Listeners: Are you in an interracial marriage? Did anyone give you grief about it? Comment here!

Paul Taylor

Political Pop from lol anmerica

Oh and john its because most "heavy" or "thick white women have nice butts =)

Feb. 17 2012 05:41 PM
Political Pop from lol anmerica

no grief from nobody but me and my wife dont care anyway were married to each other not other people...

Feb. 17 2012 05:33 PM
Sady from Brooklyn

I work at the Brooklyn Historical Society and we are collecting oral history interviews with mixed-heritage people and families, so, any Commenters from Brooklyn who are interested in talking more check it out: http://cbbg.brooklynhistory.org

Feb. 17 2012 12:04 PM
Remiyo

I am third generation Japanese-Brazilian. Growing up in Brazil with different races and nationalities harmoniously mixed I was thought that it was the only way that people interacted. I confess to be almost shocked by the frequency that people in US call attention to my asian physiognomy, I was stared at and people would make comments, so much more frequently than in Brazil. After 11 years living in US I am finally "accepting" or getting used to the cultural separation of races.
I am happy to hear about the increase in the interracial marriage; I believe it will increase the Americans understanding and interest in other cultures. Additionally racial mixes may make the American population more attractive physically. I conclude this last based on the attractiveness of the Brazilian population; the more mix, the better.

Feb. 17 2012 11:56 AM
Clair B

I think the statistics re black/white marriages (lower than others)reflects continued strong racism in both groups.

Feb. 17 2012 11:53 AM

@ DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Refer to my previous post.

yikes.

Feb. 17 2012 11:33 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

@ Becky

Oh-PUH-lease

Did you listen to the segment? It has to do with his generation and where he came from.

I PROUDLY put mixed on the census...because that's what I actually AM and what I feel like and I have the right like anyone else of a lighter persuasion to claim both sides of my family and background. Am I supposed to ignore that one parent is WHITE and that I have blonde blue eyed cousins because some douchebag doesn't want to give me a job because he's looking at my skin color? I don't think so, that's just plain dumb.

I'm mixed, I'm proud, get used to it! Anyone who has an issue with that...it's their problem, not mine.

Feb. 17 2012 11:30 AM

What's curious is the thinly veiled racism on display here...

Feb. 17 2012 11:30 AM
Bo Wildhax from New Jersey

My parents were married in 1960 - my father is very Anglo/WASP and my mother is Puerto Rican. My paternal grandfather was quite concerned that my father wanted to marry my mother and reached out to my maternal grandfather thinking that they should marry "in their race". I'm reminded of the "little brown ones" comment from George Bush, as my sister and I are darker than our cousins. Oddly, not any of our Puerto Rican family has married a Hispanic. My sister and I are now both married to Jewish husbands and my step daughter has two half black children. I think our families reflect lots of love and a melting pot of strength.

Feb. 17 2012 11:29 AM
Roslyn from Manhattan

Honestly I have thought of Barack Obama as more white than black. I cannot articulate exactly why this is; but nevertheless that's how I perceive him. Truthfully, I have always had a problem with the fact that being a person of mixed race, media seems to emphasize his Blackness over being equally Causation. I think it is the mixture that was responsible for our country voting him in as President. I wonder whether a person who is fully African American would have won the election in '08. For future Presidents, I think the door is now open.

Feb. 17 2012 11:29 AM
adrienne from UWS

brian,
I thought the story about the black/white Jewiah couple was vey interesting and a very American story. Just to say here that the history of the jews until very recently has been one of people living in iran, iraq, turkey, all over south america, well over 1000 years in europe, russia and east europe as well as north africa, egypt, other aribic countries, ethiopia. those people were and are of different cultures and ethnithities, we are all Jewish!

Feb. 17 2012 11:28 AM
Ron

The "racial" categories have no legitimacy to begin with. Move the conversation forward.

Feb. 17 2012 11:25 AM
Trish

You know, I'm Filipino and my boyfriend is white. We have a white male guy friend who is dating a black woman and he asked us if we ever get looks and we told him never. He told me that he and his girlfriend get looks all the time. So, in conclusion, some interracial relationships are more acceptable than others... ?

Feb. 17 2012 11:25 AM
Jennifer from Central CT

I hope that this trend continues. My parents and I are white. My parents divorced and my mother re-married a black man in 1982 when I was child. Their marriage caused a family rift which has since healed. The staring was uncomfortable and the occassionally open hostility was frightening. I'm very glad to say this has been less common. My brother (really half-brother) is a handsome man who, thanks to our parents, hasn't had to face some of the terrible things my stepfather had to deal with, at least not on the same level.

Still, I worry. I hope he never will be seen as darker-skin instead of the wonderful human being he is.

Feb. 17 2012 11:22 AM
The Truth from Becky

That may be what the President feels he is but what if he felt more white, do you see him putting that on the census? job apps? etc? Huh do ya? Gimme a break, we all know WHY he feels more Black.

Feb. 17 2012 11:22 AM
john from office

dboy, what is her body mass index??, is it off the charts??

Feb. 17 2012 11:21 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

@ Antonio

Excellent question!

Feb. 17 2012 11:20 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

@ Elsie

Have any stats to back that up? I mean that's an often trotted out myth but I've never heard any real facts reflecting that? Have any?

If that were so, i think it would be obvious that it would be due to the stupid bigotry of the outside world. However my parents are still together while most of my friends from "same race" marriages are divorced...so go figure...

Feb. 17 2012 11:18 AM

I'll admit it!!

I fathered a child with an Italian!!

I did.

Feb. 17 2012 11:17 AM
MP from Brooklyn

Has there been any geographical analysis? For example, is interracial marriage more common in, say, Brooklyn, than in Omaha? I would think so, but does the data support this?

Feb. 17 2012 11:16 AM
antonio from bayside

I have a question, In a generation when we have another multi-cultural president, will we recognize both backgrounds, unlike President Obama...

Feb. 17 2012 11:16 AM
Patricia from Forest Hills

I'm a hispanic (Colombia heritage) and my husband is French. My brother also married a non-hispanic. We marry who we're most compatible with, race doesn't matter.

Feb. 17 2012 11:16 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To John from office

They "fit" well together?

Feb. 17 2012 11:15 AM
Tiffany from NY, NY

When my husband (black) and I (white) had our daughter, my mother was elated to brag to all her friends about her now multiracial bloodline. She was terribly disappointed to receive a picture of "a little pink baby" a day after her birth. We explained it takes a while for pigment to kick in and that she should not despair! So yes, I would say attitudes have changed.

Feb. 17 2012 11:14 AM
Elsie from Brooklyn

Although I think it's great that interracial marriage is up, the divorce statistics for interracial couples are much higher than for same-race couples and we should be looking at why that is.

Feb. 17 2012 11:14 AM
David from Bronx

What about Gay couples? I am part of an interracial couple and would like to know the stats on people in our situation.

Feb. 17 2012 11:14 AM
Yosif from Manhattan

Black women need a term like shiksa. Trust me. The centimeter is there.

Feb. 17 2012 11:14 AM
john from office

What is it with skinny black males with heavy white women?? Very Common, why.

Feb. 17 2012 11:12 AM
Edward from NJ

I've even heard that the Irish are marrying Italians.

Feb. 17 2012 11:11 AM
The Truth from Becky

Just curious...why is the number, for all things good and bad for whites on ALL things always lower? hmmm could it be because whites are conducting all of these surveys?

Feb. 17 2012 11:10 AM
The Truth from Becky

One day...one race.

Feb. 17 2012 11:09 AM
carolita from nyc

Can I just say that I've been waiting for 40 years to hear this news? I'm the child of interracial parents, and having grown up in a multi-ethnic neighborhood for the first 12 years of my life, I always thought I was a perfectly normal example of the "melting pot" I was being taught about in school. All my friends loved talking about their mix, and we almost competed to have the most exotic mixes. I never thought it would be something unusual.

Feb. 17 2012 11:09 AM
sp

How is 'race' defined in this study? Does it include differing ethnicities? Differing religions?

Feb. 17 2012 11:09 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Again, my only comment is to repeat that "marriage" should not be, nor should ever have become, the business of the government. "Marriage" should refer only to a religious rite and ritual! The government should only be involved in registering civil unions for legalistic and tax reasons. As long as the government is involved in "marriage," the whole business will forever remain a bone of contention.

Feb. 17 2012 11:06 AM

And it took a court order for human rights to be recognized

Feb. 17 2012 10:15 AM

What year are we (humans!) going to drop the term "race" to refer to shades of skin color??

Feb. 17 2012 09:27 AM