Faith Salie on Valentine's Day and Relationshow

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Faith Salie, actor/comedian and host of RelationShow, talks about her Valentine's Day special, offers love advice, and more.

Tune In: RelationShow airs today at 3pm and 9pm on WNYC 93.9 FM and WNYC.org!

Faith Salie
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Toby from Bergen County

Just really need to be able to tell someone something that Faith and many, many other people who should know better say....the possessive for of I is my, it is not I's just because it follows another name. I have heard this frequently , but when I heard her say my new love and I's tradition ( not verbatim, but you can play it back), I nearly fell off my chair. I've heard it before on NPR by people who should know better, so, if you wouldn't mind, would you be kind enough to send out a memo reminding broadcasters that my still exists in the English grammar despite the fact that reality show stars think it sounds classier to say, " Jason and I's relationship is over." Thank you for letting me get this off my chest.
Toby

Feb. 14 2012 11:10 AM
P from Glen Cove

The heart wants what the heart wants, I don't think there is advice for couples.

Feb. 14 2012 11:08 AM
Andrew from The thruway heading to Albany

I know I missed the segment, but the best love advice I ever heard was that to love is to embrace the mystery of the other, and to recognize that the loving self gives that love away without the expectation of reciprocation.

Thanks for your program. From one wsua/WCDB alum to another..,all the best!

Feb. 14 2012 11:08 AM
Ellen LoGuidice from Fairfield CT

The best advice I ever got was from my mother, she said look at how a man treats his Mother and his sisters, because after a few years that is how he will treat you.

Feb. 14 2012 11:06 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Love?? Humbug! Marriage? A man needs a woman like a horse needs a rider! If you need to be rode, get one. Otherwise, be free and live long! Most of them will shorten a man's life worse than cigarettes!

Feb. 14 2012 11:03 AM

communication communication communication

Feb. 14 2012 11:01 AM

Faith, Been in Love with you (or perhaps more nearly my fantasy of you) since first I heard your voice way back on your great show that wnyc misbegottenly canceled. It got only multiplied when last you scored so incredibly well on "Wait, wait..." I must today speak these words as I think I've been spending a bit too much time in my own company. So congratulations on your wedding and pregnancy - I have all faith you'll make a marvelously laughing mom.

Feb. 14 2012 10:59 AM
Debbie from nyc

Ever since I met my now husband Joe in 2002 (after years of what I describe as "Dating Nam" [as in Vietnam], I have given everyone the same advice about love. It can be summed up using Madonna's lyrics: "Don't go for second best...you'll be much better, baby, on your own..." Here's a more long-winded explanation:

The most important thing is to find the right person. If you are playing games or if you don't feel like you can just pick up the phone and call anytime to tell him/her anything small or silly, it's not right. If you don't know if you are loved, it's not right. Don't settle for anything less than feeling completely loved, comfortable, and at home. If it doesn't work out, it's just not the right person.

Feb. 14 2012 10:58 AM
Lynas from Upper West Side

Love is what you do, not what you say.

Feb. 14 2012 10:58 AM
Amy from Manhattan

My brother has done a photoessay on long-married couples, & 1 of the people he interviewed for it said that the 3 words that save a marriage are not "I love you" but "Maybe you're right." I like that includes "maybe"--it means you're open to the other person's point of view.

Feb. 14 2012 10:56 AM
M G A from Chelsea

Married 30+ years and my husband's advice: "Low expectations"
(Its not a fairy tale)

Feb. 14 2012 10:56 AM
BrendaTNYC from New York City

When I met my future husband my sister asked me if I was the best version of myself in this relationship. The answer was a resounding yes and we've been married (happily) for 15 years.
I now tell people not to marry the person you can live with but the person you can not live without.
www.HereSheIsBoys.com

Feb. 14 2012 10:56 AM
Leo from Weston CT

Best advice:
Pick your battles...sometimes it is better to be happy than it is to be right.
Cheers!

Feb. 14 2012 10:53 AM
Barray from UES

I know it sounds corny but "learning to love yourself, is the greatest gift of all" actually means something. Thank you Whitney. If you and your partner can at least meet with most of this love in place you will make it. Otherwise you may spend a lot of time working it out and money in therapy. More simply put from Rupaul "If you don't love yourself, how in the heck you gonna love somebody else."

Feb. 14 2012 10:52 AM