Open Phones: Conservatives

Friday, February 10, 2012

We open the phones for conservatives to talk about what conservatism means to them. Call in or comment here. 212-433-9692

Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

@Impatient -

Echo Chamber is kind on your part. FoxNews and Rush Limbaugh are propagandists - which is all they seem to want to be. That means they lie and mislead in order to build their constituencies.

WNYC or NPR needn't balance it's show line-up vis-a-vis Right, Left and Independent in order to proudly display its objective credentials. I like it when the posters here are mad at Brian for being too soft on an interviewees point of view. I've been there myself.

I am a regular listener to WNYC but also enjoy some of the programming on WBAI/Pacifica. Some of the shows the are really balanced to the Left. My local AM talk station (WCTC), recently went from Oldies to rightwing talk, i.e. Ingraham (double-ugh), Mancow, Colmes and RedEye radio. FoxNews viewpoint has infected too many small markets, in my view. This trend would only continue if NPR funding is further reduced.

Feb. 12 2012 02:54 PM
gaetano catelli from America

"conservative" = cautious. (the rest is obfuscation.)

Feb. 11 2012 01:21 PM
Impatient

hjs11211 -

I have a feeling you won't ever see me anytime. Something tells me we don't hang out in the same circles. Unless your having a birthday party in November, in which case I'll bring the ice cram cake and ponies.

You guys ought to spend more time reading instead of writing.

Feb. 10 2012 03:59 PM

Impatient
yeah, see u in november

Feb. 10 2012 03:36 PM
Impatient

hjs1211 -

Wow, thanks for that substantive back and forth. I totally, like, understand your position now.

I'll tell you what - I will stick to the facts. You stick to the platitudes. We'll see who comes out on top.

Feb. 10 2012 02:17 PM

Impatient
the only thing we prove is that we have a right to our opinion. stop being a bully stick to facts. have a good weekend

Feb. 10 2012 01:44 PM
mike from long island

conservative to me means to "conserve what i have, and to hell with anybody else". all these so called conservatives of today wouldn't have jack S#it if it was up to the conservatives of years past. we would all still be basically serfs had the conservatives of the past had their way. most of today's conservatives got where they are today thru public education, public universities, and a lot of other subsidized programs. the progressives of the past fought for, and got that for the future generations,. conservatives feel now that they have it, no one else should. they believe in their own minds they did it all on their own. what BS.

Feb. 10 2012 01:23 PM
Impatient

art525 -

Wow, I don't know where to begin. How about - why do you assume you know anything about my politics? Or that I'm historically ignorant of the evolution of political philosophy in this country? But ok, I'll bite ... just a little bit.

Kelo was a controversial SCOTUS decision resulting in a repugnant violation of an individual's right to private property. But it was made by a moderate Supreme Court on a 5-4 decision with two conservative judges dissenting. Not exactly what Inwould call a "very conservative" court or decision.

As for Citizens United, of which I presume you speak, the decision was not that "corporations are people" as you so eloquently put it, but rather that restrictions on organized political speech within a certain timeframe of an election violates the First Amendment.

I tend to avoid the liberal media for the same reasons - venom and demagoguery without facts. But the pickings are slim - so I listen to WNYC and select other sources Inconsider good, if not bias, journalism.

As for the nonsense going on between you, dboy and hjs11211, thank you for proving my first post true. Have fun in the chamber.

Feb. 10 2012 12:39 PM

re: deism:

oops! of course i meant 18th century, not 8th century.

Feb. 10 2012 12:27 PM

re: no god in the constitution: (continued from below)

Of course, it will be pointed out that the phrase "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God" is used in the Declaration of Independence. This is a phrase used by 8th-century/enlightenment 'deists', who believed in the ethical teachings of christ but not his divinity. (obviously i'm generalizing/simplifying deism, a huge topic, there were many different types of deists, etc).

A number of the founders/framers were deists. They probably (i don't know if we know definitely) all believed in some kind of higher power, but they did NOT put Him/Her/It in the constitution.

Feb. 10 2012 12:23 PM

When did conservatism abandon all reasonable, intelligent thought???

What happened to the conservatism of Eisenhower...???

... warning us of the Military/Industrial Komplex™:

Feb. 10 2012 12:20 PM

Psychosis is the key to successful modern conservatism!!

Feb. 10 2012 12:14 PM

Oh... hjs11211!!!

There you go muddling up the debate with facts and living/thriving examples!!

Feb. 10 2012 12:11 PM

dboy
who needs facts or science when god is on your side

Feb. 10 2012 12:10 PM

@clea

GOD is most definitely in the Constitution™... because they BELIEVE it to be.

That's enough, these days!!!

Feb. 10 2012 12:08 PM

jgarbuz
germany and scandinavia seem to do well under socialism.
and they live longer as well!

Feb. 10 2012 12:08 PM
Henry from Manhattan

The concept of conservatism is intellectually and morally bankrupt.

It’s looking at the world and believing that the way things are right now are perfect. That things shouldn’t ever change. Worse, it makes a fantasy of the past and seeks to regress into a time that never was. It takes only a glimpse of history to look back at the social benefits of change for many members of humanity.

Humanity’s progress towards rights and equality has been championed by progressives. People who demand that the world not continue “business as usual.” Conservatives of the day were always the ones in great opposition to and positive social change or granting rights to disenfranchised persons.

Take a look at the sciences, education, the arts, entertainment, etc. and progressive liberal minds dominate these fields.

Caller said:
“Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up.”

What a bleak and depressing worldview. Only a mind beleaguered by fear would find value such a proverb and it typifies conservative thinking; perpetually afraid of everything, finding comfort in guns and superstitions, oh, and old rusty fences.

Stay inside your fences conservatives, the rest of us have work to do.

Feb. 10 2012 12:07 PM
Heather from Brooklyn

What ever happened to separation of Church and State? I think all the conservatives forget that this is what this country was built on...this is why our forefathers came overseas!

Feb. 10 2012 12:05 PM
art525 from Park Slope

AH socialism- the new boogieman. Unfortunately those who rail about it don't have a clue what it is. They just know it's bad. Interesting though- in the book "Geography of Bliss" The author went out in search of what are the happiest contries in the world. He found that the happiest countries were the Scandanavian ones. One of the major factors he attributed it to.....Socialism. The people didn't have to worry about the fundamental needs and even more importantly there isn't an issue of class and status so people don't stress out over that. Whether you are a doctor or a garbage man yo are treated with the same respect Weird huh? UnAmerican Huh? The Price of Denmark (no his name is not Hamlet) is a very happily engaged woodworker. I'm afraid your firebreathing conservative leaders keep you in line with fears of socialism.

Feb. 10 2012 12:00 PM

brian,
please, please, look this up and correct it:

the word 'god' is nowhere in the constitution.

everyone, this is very easy to look up for yourself. the last guy who spoke seemed to imply (if i heard him correctly) that god is in the constitution.

god is not in the constitution.

Feb. 10 2012 11:55 AM

Someone should tell that idiot caller who was railing-on about "the communists!"... "the communists!"

Ronald Raygun killed all the scary communists a long time ago!!!

THE COLD WAR HAS BEEN OVER FOR A VERY LONG TIME!!!

Feb. 10 2012 11:47 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Anyone who doesn't see the realities of Socialism has never lived in a socialist country or even on a Kibbutz in Israel. Socialism may be very nice and hip for the young, but just wait till you hit age 50 in a commune and you personally have NOTHING to show for all your work. And can never have anything of your own, because under socialism, everything and everyone belongs to everyone else. Socialism is the road to serfdom/

Feb. 10 2012 11:44 AM
art525 from PArk Slope

The final caller mentioned the mention of God in the Constitution. God is only mentioned in referring to the yearor our lord which was a convention then. One of those misreadings and inaccuracies that the conservatives thrive on. See this link.

Feb. 10 2012 11:44 AM
Amy from Manhattan

1. I'm pretty sure there are some conservatives who are atheists or agnostics.

2. I wonder how Amanda's "fence" principle applies to things like segregation.

3. There is no mention of God in the Constitution, only in the Declaration of Independence, which is not the basis of any laws in this country.

Feb. 10 2012 11:43 AM

socialism isnt evil. it tries to value each and every person and their life. one could say Pro Life is SOCIALISM. why do conservatives hate people?

Feb. 10 2012 11:40 AM
Tony from Downtown Brooklyn

From the progressive perspective: Bigotry, xenophobia, anti-science, primitivism(ie. religion).

Feb. 10 2012 11:39 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I fully agree with the last caller. Radical Liberals never saw a status quo they didn't want to overturn. Constant left wing journalists and liberals are always looking for things to overturn upside down. And when the consequences come around, they are clueless as to why things are falling apart.

Feb. 10 2012 11:39 AM
licnyc from queens

Bring in the clowns. wooooooo socialims!!!! save the childen!

Feb. 10 2012 11:38 AM

Stephen Cannarelli
except when it comes to abortion?

Feb. 10 2012 11:38 AM
TAMARA from BROOKLYN

HOW DISRESPECTFUL! CALLING THE PRESIDENT JUST 'BARACK OBAMA'. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SHOW SOME RESPECT DESPITE BEING ON OPPOSING SIDES?

Feb. 10 2012 11:37 AM

Why do conservatives think they have the right to tell people how to live their lives? and the hatred with people NOT like them? hate mongers

Feb. 10 2012 11:36 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I am a SOCIAL conservative. That is, one who seeks to preserve traditional, status quo positions on marriage, family life, and so on. I don't believe that marriage is a state function.

I am not a fiscal conservative. Regarding economics, I am a pragmatist, not an ideologue. Whatever works. I'm a capitalist but not necessarily a proponent of laissez faire. Socialism are faiures that I myself experienced overseas. But I am not a rough and ready, anything goes laizzes faire capitalist either.

Feb. 10 2012 11:36 AM
Chris from Queens

Aren't liberty and the belief in a higher power, especially in the context of institutions that tightly control what members are allowed to think and do, inherently contradictory? Or does liberty only mean freedom from elected officials?

Feb. 10 2012 11:35 AM
Gerald Fnord from Palos Verdes, Ca

A steel-cage death-match between the theocrats, the neo-cons, the Babbitt/business conservatives, and the "libert"arians? I _demand_ that the government supply me free popcorn.

Feb. 10 2012 11:35 AM
Stephen Cannarelli from New York

Conservativism is the belief that individuals have free will and are in complete control of their fate.

Feb. 10 2012 11:35 AM
art525 from Park Slope

Dear impatient- I avoid the conservative media like the plauge. All they offer these days is venom and demagoguery, unconstrained by facts. I thkn the right has shifted so far to the right that what passes for liberalism in your eyes is actually pretty moderate. We have all heard it pointed out that Richard Nixon would be seen as an extreme liberal by today's conservatives. And Goldwater's views which scared mainstream America seem to be mainstream conservatism today.Or perhaps even too tame for conservatives.
And on the specific issues by which you defined conservatism -personal property rights and an individuals right to choose- well the first thing that comes to mind is the case Kelo v City of New London where the very conservative Supreme Court found in favor of a developer who was allowed to take the land of homeowners to developp it. Money interests rule. ANd let's not forget theri ruling that corporations are people. That infringes on my perosnal freedom when the corporations can buy elections. We see it now in the Repub primaires. Even Newt is exorcised over it. And when BP was givne carte blanche to drill for oil in the Gulf a lot of individual property rights were affected. As they will be by fracking. ANd as far as personal choice what about the conservatives desire to intrude in a woman's right to control her own body? Or the right not to have to engage in school prayer if you choose not to?

Feb. 10 2012 11:31 AM
Smokey from LES

Please ask why conservatives are so against the Affordable Health Care Act - and what they would replace it with - just a return to what we had? That certainly wasn't so perfect.

Feb. 10 2012 11:30 AM
art525 from Park Slope

Senator Sweeney mentioned the comment by the lawyer who said "what's next? Can I marry my dog?" I can't help but think that with the lawyer's comments on the reocrd it is something that will embarrass his grandchildren in the future. We are evolving after all. Comments like the lawyer's don't age well. It reminds me of the awful scenes in "Biith of a Nation".

Feb. 10 2012 11:18 AM
Leonick

I'm a liberal, but I agree with Impatient.

All sides of the national debate can learn from each other. Rejecting ideas ex ante is ridiculous. We really need to pay attention to what others think, or we'll become groupthink victims.

Feb. 10 2012 11:08 AM
Impatient

Now that I've gotten over my hissy fit - Im not a conservative by today's standards because my politics are not influenced by religion. I'd like to think conservatism is underscored by two things: i) protection of private property rights and ii) the individual's right and freedom to choose, unhindered by government influence, and to enjoy the benefits and suffer the consequences of that choice.

Feb. 10 2012 10:59 AM
Impatient

WOW - six segments on today's show: four left liberals in a row, a segment about Occupy Wall Street and a call-in for conservatives. Is there really any wonder why conservatives shun public radio and most mainstream media and take shelter in echo chambers like Fox and Rush? I'm not a conservative but I'm definitely not a liberal, I get my news from myriad sources including almost all of WNYC's programming and I'm appalled that you can put a program like this together and expect anyone to swallow the idea that NPR is objective journalism. To be even more clear, Brian, I think you're an exceptional moderator and host. That's not patronizing - it's sincere. But can we just get over this idea that NPR is anything but a liberal echo chamber itself?

Now, having said that, I'll open this message board to the venom that is spit day in and day out at not just conservatives but any non-progressie thought.

Feb. 10 2012 10:36 AM

Isn’t the right to sell poison meat to make a profit, free of any taxes and the right to drive their neighbors out of their home if they look, smell or act different.

Feb. 10 2012 10:24 AM