Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on His Basketball Career and Advocacy Work

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the NBA’s all time leading scorer, talks about his career in basketball, his advocacy work, and his new children’s book, What Color Is My World?: The Lost History of African-American Inventors. It looks at some of the black inventors who have made a difference in people’s lives and in the world.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

ted from nyc

why do people hate on kareem? is there any less appreciated superstar athlete than him? tim legler and steve smith qualify as NBA TV analysts but the all-time leading scorer in league history, can't even get a job covering girls high school ball. Ridiculous.

Feb. 09 2012 03:56 PM
Amy from Manhattan

leslie tunstall, that's a great story! I hadn't heard of Jewel Cobb myself until now.

And Jean, I'm glad to hear about the Latimer museum. There's also a meeting room named for Lewis Latimer at the NYC offices of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. (I tried to post about it during the segment because I thought Mr. Abdul-Jabbar would like to hear about it, but the comment didn't go through.)

Feb. 09 2012 01:02 PM
The Truth from Becky

Good conversation.

Feb. 09 2012 12:34 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Ask mr Jabbar about how the players nowadays "palm" the ball so much, to do the gymnastic moves they do.... and how this would have been whistled dead in the old days as traveling.

Feb. 09 2012 12:30 PM
Jean from Manhattan

Love the mention of Lewis Latimer. Fascinating life and his home still stands in Flushing, NY. Wonderful historic site - Lewis H. Latimer House Museum.

Feb. 09 2012 12:28 PM
leslie tunstall from New Jersey

I haven't seen Mr. Jabar's children's book myself but I certainly hope it includes mention of Jewel Cobb, a remarkable scientist and inventer who is not only African Americn but also a woman. It was her ground-breaking research that paved the way directly to the invention of chemotherapy. And-- I must respectfully disagree that such stories are not covered in history textbooks because of the following story: Jewel Cobb's grand-daughter is my daughter's best friend in school. Imagine her surprise as she was sitting innocently in history class one day, turned the page of her textbook, and gasped aloud to the class: "Oh my gosh! See that picture?? That's my grandmother!!!"

Feb. 09 2012 12:27 PM
Antonio from bayside

I love a player that can pass the ball, does Mr. Abdul-Jabbar think a player who can see players cutting into lanes or taking advantage of the fluidity of the game can be learned? Example do you think Magic or say Jason Kidd learned their prowess for passing or was it innate?

Feb. 09 2012 12:24 PM
Wayne Johnson from Bk

Can you please ask him about his health?

Feb. 09 2012 12:21 PM
andrew

will you ask mr Jabbar about how true the story is that practicing yoga extended his career, and what his history with yoga may be?

Feb. 09 2012 12:17 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

As a Knick & Celtics fan (chose the Knicks over the Celtics when they were competing against each other), I rooted against Mr. A-J, but as I got older, I respected him more and more -- particularly for his off-court work. (And learning about the tragic loss of his great Jazz record collection in a fire.)

His point about young blacks confining themselves to athletics and entertainment is so right-on. Whenever I see young black kids doing break-dancing on the streets, or walking through the subways singing for money, and see all the adults supporting them by watching/listening and giving them money, I think that they are doing these kids a disservice by reinforcing the worst stereotypes and encouraging these kids to do this stuff instead of achieving through education.

I know this is somewhat simplified and doesn't encompass many complexities, but there's definitely a truth there between the cooperation by the black kids and the larger community in keeping these kids from achieving, even if it is not intentional.

Feb. 09 2012 12:14 PM