Pico Iyer on Graham Greene

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Pico Iyer examines the closeness he has always felt to the English writer Graham Greene.  In The Man Within My Head, he follows Greene’s trail from his first novel, The Man Within, to his later classics like The Quiet American looking at all he has in common with Greene: an English public school education, a lifelong restlessness and refusal to make a home anywhere, a fascination with the complications of faith.

Pico Iyer

Michael from Scarsdale, NY

Thanks for airing the fascinating "History of the World in One Hundred Objects." What a novel way of learning (or relearning) history through archaeology! Whenever I happen to be listening I regret having to be at work most days it is on and vow to download the entire series.

Feb. 08 2012 03:14 PM
ina feidelman from Hartsdale, NY

I agree with Eric from nyc. Please finish the "History of the World" series.
It is uninteresting and I change stations when it comes on the radio.

Thank you.

Feb. 07 2012 06:41 PM
Ed from Larchmont

His novels have a real Catholic atmosphere, but you get a sense, like in 'The heart of the matter', that there is a distess in the heart of the protagonist.

Feb. 07 2012 12:52 PM
Amy from Manhattan

How literally should we take "being trained to subdue the natives"? (not sure I got that word for word, but I'd still like to know what that really meant!)

Feb. 07 2012 12:48 PM
Mia from Manhattan

Having seen Mr. Iyer's travel piece on Ramoji Film Studio in this month's Vanity Fair, it got me wondering how often (or not) does Mr. Iyer receive offers from magazine editor's to travel to India, and what is Mr. Iyer's criteria for those pieces he chooses to do and those he chooses to decline?

Feb. 07 2012 12:44 PM
Eric from nyc

Please end this "History of the World in 100 Objects" series. It is horrible. I really hope that this is not run 100 times... its painful to listen to.

Feb. 07 2012 12:03 PM