Komen Foundation Stops Planned Parenthood Funding

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

The Susan G. Komen for the Cure says it will stop funding Planned Parenthood centers -- leaving women and health advocates divided. Rebecca Traister, contributor to the New York Times Magazine and Salon.com and the author of Big Girls Don't Cry: The Election that Changed Everything for American Women, comments.

upstate bill

Komen should endorse Romney, he doesn't care about poor
women either

Feb. 02 2012 04:58 PM
LMGold

It seems that every week there is another assault on the health of poor women in the U.S. I'd posted the following on the Koman FBB page, but after five "likes," they deleted it: "@komenforthecure doing tremendous disservice by defunding Planned Parenthood. Can no longer support. War on women's health continues."

As a result I created a FB group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/363480037014100/ - Fight War on Poor Women's Health. The group has almost 50 members, not exactly a a grass-roots explosion in the eight hours since its inception, but I hope it'll catch on. Thanks for shining light on this..

Feb. 01 2012 09:39 PM
Sheila Jones

Religious beliefs do not belong in medical matters, it does not belong in politics - both should be secular. If you don't believe in birth control, abortion, artificial insemination, or other such medical matters, then don't use them. But others deserve to do with their bodies according to their own beliefs without the interference of people who would like to legislate morality and behaviour according to their own agenda. We have privacy laws in this country - they should be enforced. What goes on in my body and in my doctor's office, and in my bedroom are none of anyone else's business. If these so called charities are going to help people, they need to help all people or get the hell out of the business.

Feb. 01 2012 08:58 PM
Donna from Westport

Shame on the Komen Foundation and for hiring an anti-abortionist for their Vice-President!

Feb. 01 2012 07:24 PM
Meg from Brooklyn

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Brian, producers & staff for consistently covering "women's issues" as universal concerns that affect all of society, politics, culture, etc. - not as issues to be dealt "special segments" for women/by women, once a week, etc. I have noticed this over years of listening to the show & have really appreciated it. We need more of this approach in the media.

Feb. 01 2012 04:12 PM
Megin J.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Brian & the show for consistently covering "women's issues" as universal concerns that affect all of society, politics, culture, etc. - not as issues to be dealt "special segments" for women/by women, once a week etc. I have noticed this over years of listening to the show & have really appreciated it. We need more of this approach in the media.

Feb. 01 2012 03:53 PM
madaline from connecticut

Thank you Mr. Lehrer for allowing your devoted listeners the opportunity to clearly understand Komen's shameful and misguided behavior. The only good to come of this is more people will learn of the many, many medical services Planned Parenthood provide to the under or uninsured women and men in this country

Feb. 01 2012 03:27 PM
nancy

Komen's 2009 tax return shows total revenue of $171 million dollars. Total expenses of $177 million. How much did they spend on programs? $74 million. So they collected $171 million and spent $74 million on grants, meaning that they spent only 41% of revenue on grant making. The 2008 percentage was 49%.

If you look at the list of recipients I guesstimate there are about 210 grant recipients mostly to universities, making the average grant about $350,000. Talk about dilution.

Feb. 01 2012 12:44 PM
Karen from New Jersey

I am so frustrated by the political assault on women but to have an organization supposedly for women's health (Komen) join the political attack on Planned Parenthood is despicable. I too have always supported both organizations and my grandmother founded the PP chapter in the town she lived in. i will no longer support Komen!

Feb. 01 2012 12:05 PM
sclark from nj

It's too bad that legal, private, medical matters have become SO political.

I have never given to the Komen Foundation, other charities with less PR need my donation dollars. I don't "buy pink" either.
I have given to PP and will continue in the future.

Feb. 01 2012 11:59 AM
Betty from Brooklyn, NY

I have not supported Komen in the past because of it's support of PP. Now I will donate to Komen.

Feb. 01 2012 11:21 AM
anonyme

Tapas Fleming, a CA acupuncturist, cured her own stage 3 breast cancer (two ping pong size growths) in only 3 chemos and is almost 8 years cancer free. You can go to her website and learn her TAT (Tapas Acupressure Technique) for this and all manner of other health conditions.

Feb. 01 2012 11:13 AM
Heleena van Raan from New York City

I usually listen while getting ready to teach a class. Today I became so furious at the report re: Komen and Planned Parenthood that I immediately sent a donation to Planned Parenthood.

Feb. 01 2012 11:03 AM
Jayne from Wisconsin

I'm sure plenty of finger pointing will in sue. No matter what their reason, the message is loud and clear from the Komen foundation...shame on them!!

I am seeing very little of this on the news media. Please post it on any social media you use!

Feb. 01 2012 10:55 AM
Em

This is what happens when you have a health care system based on charity for the poor. Vile. I detest these "not for profits" who perpetuate a culture of Lord and Lady Bountifuls and distract the public from the principle that health care should be a right, and research should not be sponsored and led by corporations who steer it toward their own motivations. Look at the current research on the efficacy of mammograms and you'll see what I mean. There is no centralised database for current treatment efficacy leading to widely different outcomes, and not just between economic groups. The whole process is a money mill.

Feb. 01 2012 10:51 AM
Muriel from CT

I supported and enthused over and used Planned Parenthood from its beginning days. I also supported financially. However, Planned Parenthood in a very unwise decision a few years ago came out and supported Joe Lieberman, who having been thrown out by his "party" had to run as an Independent. This cost PP (CT chapters) dearly, they will never make up the lost income based on one lousy decision. Can't they find any grown-ups to make major decisions? So now there will be another short-fall for a major "women's health" issue. Alas! Who makes these decisions?

Feb. 01 2012 10:50 AM

A response to Bonnie Fubar, this is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of science. You can see on the American Cancer Society website that there is no link between abortion and breast cancer.

The ACS does an excellent job reviewing the problems with studies that have found links.

Feb. 01 2012 10:48 AM
1ozofPrevention from Weehawken, NJ

This year (and until further notice) I will be giving donations to Planned Parenthood whenever friends of mine "Race for the Cure." I'm disgusted by Komen's political pandering and will have nothing to do with it.

Feb. 01 2012 10:48 AM
John Weber from Cancer Capitol NJ

This is outrageous, but Susan Komen and most cancer organizations are all off base to begin with. There will NEVER be a cure for cancer. All cancer research is a waste of time. Why? Because I can tell you what causes cancer in one sentence - no research required. Cancer is caused by toxins in our air, water and food. Period. If we put half the money and effort into keeping these toxins out of our air, water, and food we would eliminate half of all cancers. A few well placed lifestyle-choice changes would take care of the other half.

If you give money to cancer anything, you are accepting the poisoning of our air, water, and food and you are just financially supporting the discovery of a work-around.

Feb. 01 2012 10:46 AM
Jeffrey Aaron from Highland Park NJ

Investigate Komen! Our donations to both may only be in the three figures, but I plan to make extra donations now to Planned Parenthood, both national and local, and never again to Komen. What Komen has done is equivalent to judging someone guilty before evidence and trial.

Jeffrey Aaron

Feb. 01 2012 10:46 AM
sabrina

No Brian, it's not an ugly divorce -- it's abandonment.

Feb. 01 2012 10:45 AM
Bonnie Fubar from new york

Have no knowledge of why Komen made this decision but there is research linking abortion with higher risk breast cancer and Komen has been criticized for not recognizing or taking this research seriously. Given that PP is the largest abortion provider in U.S. this is hypocritical of Komen.
Brian your current guest is adamant that this research is wrong but that's a matter of opinion depending on which side you're on. She's clearly on one side. One of your least unbiased guests I've ever heard on your show.

Feb. 01 2012 10:45 AM
The Truth from Becky

A political move to be sure, the consequences will be detrimental to both.

Feb. 01 2012 10:44 AM
Richard from Queens

I donated to Planned Parenthood for the very first time in December solely because of the trouble they had with Congress last year.
While I haven't contributed to Komen, they have been on my potential list of annual donations, but now I don't think that I will follow through on a contribution to them.

Feb. 01 2012 10:42 AM
J from NYC

I have just unsubscribed from Komen emails and have written to them saying I will never support them again. You can write online at: http://www.komennyc.org/site/PageServer?pagename=contactus

Feb. 01 2012 10:41 AM
Felicia

I'm DONE. I come from a line of breast cancer survivors and contributors to the Foundation, but this action proves what I've always suspected from the consumer culture around breast cancer awareness: the Komen Foundation only cares about the health of poor or struggling women as long as it doesn't inconvenience well off women.

Feb. 01 2012 10:41 AM
Cynthia from Brooklyn

Time to stop donating to the Komen Foundation. Many people are not aware that there are more effective organizations sponsoring breast cancer research. This was an unconscionable choice against women's rights.

Feb. 01 2012 10:41 AM
Martha from Brooklyn

I have already informed Komen that I will no longer contribute to that organization, and I will renew my Planned Parenthood membership early with an extra donation. I will also urge organizations with which I am associated to cut their ties with Komen. This decision would be tragic if it were not so politically motivated. There are other wonderful organizations that support breast cancer patients and their families. We must support them.

Feb. 01 2012 10:40 AM
Carly from East Harlem

What was Susan G. Kollman's attitude/opinion of Planned Parenthood---would she have wanted this?

p.s. In my opinion---this is a sad day for women. As the daughter of a breast cancer survivor I believe breast cancer research and support services are essential, and from now on I will find another organization to benefit from my charitable efforts in that area.

Feb. 01 2012 10:40 AM
Evan

I'm a supporter of both organizations. I'm disgusted by Komen's cowardice and will no longer support them. They made a decision, perhaps even the politic one, but actions have consequences. I will add the amount that I would have given them to Planned Parenthood.

Feb. 01 2012 10:40 AM
Iris N

I have never been so angered in my whole life. My intention is to organize my friends, family, and religious institution in a letter writing campaign to the Koman foundation and Congress. Additionally I've allready made a donation to Planned Parenthood . We must put a stop to the attacks on womens health care.

Feb. 01 2012 10:39 AM
PopeJon from Ridge, NY

Does anybody know where you can find out how much these "foundations" actually fund the causes they collect donations for compared to what their operating costs are (marketing, salaries, bonuses, etc, etc...)? Not trying to be cynical, just curious with all those ribbons plastered on every other car bumper I see.

Feb. 01 2012 10:39 AM
Jenny from Westchester

I am outraged by this decision by the Komen Foundation, I have been a donor to both Komen and Planned Parenthood, after this I will continue my support for Planned Parenthood and look for other ways to support breast cancer research. Komen's decision is calculatedly political and sacrifices women's health on the altar of pro-life politics.

Feb. 01 2012 10:38 AM
Melanie from Manhattan

I've just emailed the Komen foundation, who I've supported in the past to let them know that if they drop support to Planned Parenthood, not to contact me again.

I'm furious.

Feb. 01 2012 10:38 AM
John A.

Dare I say that theres researching linking pill contraceptives to breast cancer?

Feb. 01 2012 10:37 AM
MP from Brooklyn

This is nothing short of tragic.

Feb. 01 2012 10:32 AM