Post-South Carolina: Newt Surging, Romney Fights Back

Monday, January 23, 2012

Eleanor Clift, contributor to Newsweek Magazine and The Daily Beast, discusses Newt Gingrich's victory in South Carolina, what it means for the 2012 GOP race and what to expect from the all-important Florida primary.

Eleanor Clift
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Jud from Brooklyn Heights

Gingrich invoked Saul Alinsky's name several times during his winner's speech Saturday night. I have to wonder how many in that crowd actually know who Alinsky was. Therefore I wonder what was the underlying purpose of invoking his name. Is he playing the anti-Semitism card? One of the segments that you played on air with your guest included Gingrich throwing out Alinsky's name to the crowd like red meat, but neither you nor your guest referred to it. Alinsky was a respected Community Organizer who, Gingrich's crowd should be told, received many prestigious awards during his lifetime.

Jan. 23 2012 11:44 PM
Jane from East Village

Off the topic for this segment, but is WNYC going to stream the State of the Union tomorrow? If not, do you have a recommendation of where to see it streamed with more interesting / less annoying commentary?

Jan. 23 2012 10:49 AM
Roger from New York

The fact that Republicans in South Carolina can embrace Gingrich, a deeply-flawed politician, speaks volumes about disturbing undercurrents in American society. The evidence is undeniable for anyone who chooses to study his life that Gingrich is a hypocrite of the first order, taking “do as I say, not as I do” to the extreme. He is prone to volatile, wild and often contradictory notions which he expresses with inflamed passion and certitude, a frightening combination for a potential President. Support for Gingrich speaks of deep, ugly prejudices and anger that make facts and rational discourse irrelevant.

Jan. 23 2012 10:49 AM
Bob from si

South Carolina loves moxie and in your face politics, At Clemson the football coach introduced Strom Thurmon and Ronald Reagan with this line. Today is a great day in SC history, Strom third wife has been born and the crowd erupted.

Jan. 23 2012 10:35 AM
Jerry

Nobody is bringing up the antipathy of the south for the north and it appears to me that Gingrich is poking a yankee in the eye and it resonates with those in the south.

This is the base of the tea party (old Confederate states) and the republican party has let the cat out of the bag by making the south the home of their party and by allowing the tea party to run it alone. Gingrich is playing to their ears.

Jan. 23 2012 10:34 AM

MORE WHITES GET FOOD STAMPS THAN NON WHITES.

THAT IS THE POINT OBAMA WILL HAMMER, NOT ANY REPUBLICAN.

Jan. 23 2012 10:27 AM
Harvey from Hells Kitchen

Newt Gingrich debating President Obama? Forgive me but aren't people confusing electing a President with a telecast of the Worldwide Wrestling Federation? I think the stakes are a lot more serious.

Jan. 23 2012 10:26 AM
Ken

Brian, please keep asking that question! There's definitely an aspect of racism to this whole republican primary, and Gingrich in particular. It's only one of the many disgusting attributes Gingrich displays proudly. It's unfathomable to me how anybody could support him.

Jan. 23 2012 10:26 AM
Gwen from Tribeca

Thank you for bringing up Gingrich's transparent race baiting. The television clip I watched of Gingrich talking about the food stamp president - berating Juan Williams, whom I'm not even a fan of - and then getting a thunderous standing ovation was appalling. And it came on the heels of my having a conversation with my girls the night before about Martin Luther King Jr and my telling them that things are "so much better now because of Dr. King's bravery and fight". That moment in the debate was shameful.

Jan. 23 2012 10:26 AM

This is all a waste of time for 99+% of people, those who can't pay to play. All distraction, and second and third rate politicians.

Paul Simon got it right in Mrs. Robinson:

"Sitting on a sofa ona Sunday afternoon
Going to the candidate's debate
Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose
Anyway you look at it you lose"

Jan. 23 2012 10:25 AM
amalgam from NYC by day, NJ by night

This is one of the few times I've agreed with my current Gov., Gov. Christie, based strictly on a technicality: there almost nothing NY about the "NY Football Giants" (as they're called).

In the end; so what. North Jersey is so connected by commerce, jobs, taxes, even residencies, and culturally similar to NYC (having lived for many years in both places), that north Jersey is, yes, reflexively suburban NYC.

Jan. 23 2012 10:25 AM
SOTU from nyc

Candy Crowly on SOTU/CNN asked about Ging' about the hypocrisy of pursuing Clinton while he has an affair and ging' answered he went after Clinton for lying under oath. He didn't judge him for the affair and he knew about J.Flowers and other women - he was going after Clinton for Lying - an impeachable offense.

Jan. 23 2012 10:22 AM
tom from astoria

In A GENERAL ELECTION opposition to Gingrich we DO have a good idea of what the President will lay out in the State of the Union: I just heard it at the Apollo the other night: Referring to the Republican vision of America THAT"S NOT WHO WE ARE" (favoring the privileged few over the many). Obama also went through Republican presidents from Lincoln to Eisenhower and pointed out how they invested in AMerica in good times and bad. REBUILD AMERICA, "we did it for GM" we did it by helping Americans with health care...etc

Jan. 23 2012 10:22 AM
John A.

I caught (at least) one news source replaying some of Newt's baggage: His work product being called out in Senate by Republican Bob Dole as 'garbage'. Right, lots of baggage.
Anyone have good source(s) on the history of negative campaigning? It seems to me to have gotten an upswing in 1990 or so but I just feel very shortsighted on this.

Jan. 23 2012 10:20 AM
Bryan from downtown

He is indeed a riddle wrapped in an enigma; aka, he needs a full time fact checker. Listening to some of his absurd statements is an embarrassment. Perhaps Republicans like him because he is a closet liberal.

Jan. 23 2012 10:19 AM
Susan from Westchester

Suddenly, ethics and morality don't seem to matter,
Why is that?
As a woman with MS who has battled cancer (I know, go figure,) I'd rather lose a limb than vote for Gingrich.

Jan. 23 2012 10:17 AM

My husband's 90 year old high school English teacher who wears no eyeglasses and walks 4 flights of stairs a day to his apartment over a Catholic High School in Flushing is a Gingrich fan. We had a conversation 3 weeks ago, well before SC primary, about why. Brother Zutelis feels he knows how to shake things up, knows his way around Washington. This is a gentleman who reads 2 newspapers a day, remains sharp as a tack and is a lover of history. His answer, while I find it incredulous, is undoubtedly thoughtful.

Jan. 23 2012 10:13 AM
JT from LI

I wonder who would want to be Gingrich's VP. He seems to have few friends out there.

Jan. 23 2012 10:13 AM
Jin from Manhattan

It's not only Chinese New Year.

Other Asians including Vietnamese, Koreans, Mongolians celebrate today as well because they follow, or used to follow traditionally Lunar Calendar.

Without context, calling today just simply Chinese New Year doesn't seem culturally right.

I just have to stop by and comment this after hearing the host saying "Chinese New Year" on air even though one of the WNYC website articles calls today is "Lunar New Year". It's just confusing.

But, anyway, Happy Lunar New Year!

Jan. 23 2012 10:12 AM