Open Phones: MLK Traditions

Monday, January 16, 2012

Other than having the day off from work or school, do you celebrate the holiday with friends and family? Call in with your MLK traditions.

barent

this is not the biggest thing in and of itself,but, i really wonder if having NBA games on MLK day, is proper or good form, with the overwhelming proportion of players, being african-american. i'd say,if they put the decision to play or not, up for a vote and let the players decide if they wanted to play ,i think that would be fair enough. then agan,how attached are todays players, to the significance of what went before them. i really don't know.

Jan. 16 2012 11:51 AM
gene from NYC

In light of the previous segment, we can remember that the most powerless of Memphis, the sanitation workers, were agitating for all of a $1-an-hour wage, as I recall, when MLK came.

Jan. 16 2012 11:28 AM
Kim Wiley-Schwartz from Downtown Brooklyn

At PS261 in Brooklyn, MLK is very well celebrated. This Friday, January 20th we will create the March on Washington at Brooklyn Boro Hall, as we have for the past 5 years. Children sing protest songs, make signs that would have been seen at the March and recite MLK's 'I have a dream' speech. It is remarkable given that we have such a diverse population. We spend the day today (Mondasy) at the school collecting food for a local food pantry and doing other acts of service. This year the 5th Grade is hosting a Teach-in about hunger and how it affects humans throughout the world and in our own neighborhood.

Jan. 16 2012 11:22 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I try to find a public event commemorating Dr. King & his work, & preferably something active for justice/equality/peace. I'm surprised that none of the callers mentioned anything like this, & especially that 2 of them actually said discrimination had ended & equality had been achieved!

Jan. 16 2012 11:20 AM
Fred from Brooklyn

I actually have a made a tradition of listening to YOUR fantastic show, as well as Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech. I also take a few minutes to give thanks and remembrance for my long-ago passed grandparents, great-grandparents and so many others who came before me and only dreamt of the freedoms that we now enjoy.

Jan. 16 2012 11:10 AM
John A.

Why the Leonard Lopate Gospel (Hour) of course.

Jan. 16 2012 11:00 AM
Robert from NYC

To listen to all the programming with the speeches of Dr King and remember how he affected the culture/society of the country and keeping in mind that we have to continue working on improving ourselves and the culture/society where we live. His dream and work must continue.

Jan. 16 2012 10:58 AM
dianne

I consider the content of my character

Jan. 16 2012 10:58 AM
Caitlin

I have a tradition of wishing people a happy Lee-King day in honor of my super classy home state of Virginia, which only recently stopped celebrating the confederate general on the same day as MLK.

Jan. 16 2012 10:56 AM
brooklynchick

Listen to gospel music

Jan. 16 2012 10:55 AM
RH from Prospect Hts

Unfortunately, in the Poor People's March tradition, I'm usually working. I've freelanced for 30 years, and the rates have forced me to work more and more "holidays"--including working all night to meet more and more deadlines.

Jan. 16 2012 10:55 AM
anthony from Manhattan

I listen to and email out at least one MLK, Jr. speech, audio or video....
Perhaps it's not a tradition forming yet, because his legacy has yet to come into being.....
his words are yet to be put into action.... his call for the Poor People's campaign.... is the call for fairness for the 99 %. Let's keep on for that.
His words stood up to the military industrial complex... we've lost all ground there.... so.... let's keep on.

Jan. 16 2012 10:55 AM
Tina Bissell from Ann Arbor. MI

Every year my husband would either play the LP of MLK's speech and others from the March on Washington... or he'd repeat it himself (doing an excellent MLK impression). When our son was little he'd do this for him and whatever friends were over - because school was out. Closing schools seems like a dubious way to celebrate. I'd rather see special programming to honor MLK vs. vacation days and sales.

Jan. 16 2012 10:54 AM
Ben from Yonkers

Our MLK tradition is to sleep in, to commemorate Dr. King's dream, and hopefully have some of our own!

Jan. 16 2012 10:54 AM
ronnie perelis from teaneck nj

I attend a small orthodox Jewish synagogue in Teaneck New Jersey, and our Rabbi dedicates his sermon on the sabbath of the MLK weekend to textual analysis of some of Dr. King's sermon's. it is a new, but very moving tradition.

Jan. 16 2012 10:54 AM
wendy r from nyc

i know someone who works for the bergen county (nj) school system - they are open today!!! it's outrageous, and incredibly disrespectful.

Jan. 16 2012 10:53 AM