Open Phones: Blue Ivy and Your Run-Ins With the Super-Rich

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The birth of Blue Ivy Carter, the daughter of Jay Z and Beyoncé, created a controversy over whether the couple dominated too much of the Lenox Hill Hospital maternity ward. Village Voice writer and author of the new book Fork on the Left, Knife in the Back, Michael Musto, discusses the controversy and takes your calls.

Listeners: Do you have stories about your run-ins with celebrities or the super rich in your daily lives? Call us and tell us if you reacted by being both annoyed and star-struck? Do you actually like brushing up against the privileged class--or are you too annoyed by it to be impressed? Tell us a story of your celebrity run-in. Call 212-433-WNYC or comment here.

Michael Musto

anonyme

I saw Monica Lewinsky on the subway once - she was reeeeeealllly pretty.

Jan. 13 2012 12:29 PM
clive betters

hey jodi,maybe matt just wasn't, into you......yet

Jan. 12 2012 02:23 PM
clive betters

bloomberg is such a dick

Jan. 12 2012 02:18 PM
Bob from Pelham, NY

@ Robert Johnston on the UWS: You are correct re MetroNorth facility name, but note that the the Lexington Ave subway stop is also called Grand Central Station.

Jan. 12 2012 12:01 PM

In the early 80’s I worked at a communications company that was assembling a roster of celebrities for a radio talk show.
Erica Jong was being romanced for the “Author” part of the series.
She arrived at the office dressed like she was going to the Laundromat.
We met in my bosses office, where she put her big sloppy handbag on the floor.

The meeting no sooner commenced, when she condescendingly asked me for a cup of coffee, like I was a lowly employee as opposed to being the Project Manager of the radio series. She never once made eye contact with me, (except for the coffee request), choosing to only address my boss.
I complied and brought her the coffee.

While sitting there politely listening, I saw a HUGE water bug crawl into her handbag.
I didn’t say a word.

Jan. 12 2012 12:00 PM
zach from brooklyn

Bruce Campbell, Royal Oak, MI

me: "Excuse me sir, aren't you Bruce Campbell?"

BC: (head turns, whips off sunglasses) "Somebody's gotta be." (walks away)

Jan. 12 2012 11:58 AM
kireleason from Staten Island, NY

Several years ago I saw Patrick Stewart on the 1/9 train - on the way to my job at a food pantry - he got on at around 66th street with a young woman who was telling him about her shopping adventures. I think he said something about her taking a "proper shopping trip"...

Jan. 12 2012 11:58 AM
Richard Johnston from Upper west side

Grand Central Station is a post office. The trains arrive at Grand Central Terminal

Jan. 12 2012 11:58 AM
anonyme

Jury duty jackpot: in one day - Al Franken (I begged him to run for the Senate and he smiled) and i literally walked into Chris Noth filming Law and Order - he was nice and more handsome in real life

Jan. 12 2012 11:57 AM
Andrew Loebelson from upper west side

I had dropped my mother off at 90th St. and CPW and saw a free parking space on the other side of the street. As I pulled in I saw her waving frantically at me and pointing but I couldn't see anything or anyone I knew. Then there was a knock at my window and I rolled it down and a gentleman said, "Excuse me but my name is Richard Dreyfus and I'm the person your mother wants you to look at!"

Jan. 12 2012 11:57 AM
joanne

My husband was upgraded to first flying back to NYC from the UK. He noticed there was one person with a hoodie, pulled over his head, and dark glasses, trying to go unrecognised but immediately drawing everyone's attention to him. It turned out to be Chris Martin from Coldplay. As my husband said, if you really want to travel incognito, don't fly with your kids named Moses and Apple.

Jan. 12 2012 11:56 AM
Bernice Paglia from Plainfield NJ

Lou Reed's signature earphones by Klipsch are $400, so maybe he can afford whatever he wants.

Jan. 12 2012 11:56 AM
Sheelah Kaye Stepkin

Many years ago when I lived on the upper eastside, I would take the train to the actors equity lounge looking for work for the day if I didn't have auditions. On the stop at 57th and 7th there was the cutest little shoe shine shop and every day at 12:15 in the winter I would stop to get my boots polished. Jackie Cooper would be there every day at 12:10 and would make sure there was a chair next to him and we would chat about everything that didn't have to do with theater. He always left me with the words, "break a leg and leave the business when it is no longer fun". We had shines together until I moved away in 1988. I look on it fondly. Sheelah

Jan. 12 2012 11:55 AM
Jennifer

I've seen Michael Musto riding his bike without regard to traffic laws and without a helmet. Does that count?

Jan. 12 2012 11:55 AM
Bob from Pelham, NY

Has anyone looked at whether the alleged $1.3 million payment was done as a charitable donation to Lenox Hill? If so, Jay-Z & Beyonce get a fat tax deduction and the rest of us taxpayers effectively pick up 33%-38% of the tab (not even figuring NYS & NYC income taxes). Fair to the 99%??

Jan. 12 2012 11:55 AM
Karen from Manhattan

A long time ago, in a very popular vintage/army-navy store on B'Way near NYU, an apologetic store clerk asked Jack Nicholson not to smoke in the store. He said something to the effect of, I'm Jack Nicholson and I'll smoke wherever I want.

Jan. 12 2012 11:55 AM
Tom P from NYC

Working in midtown for years I have run into Tony Bennett several times. He always smiles sweetly and says hello to anyone who recognizes him. However, he does not shake hands. I have no problem with that. Don't ask him to; he doesn't owe it to you.

Jan. 12 2012 11:55 AM
Judie

As a state prosecutor I was often inconvenienced made late for work and court and forced the travel longer routes because of filming for the NBC prosecutor and police shows. (I forget the name of show)

Jan. 12 2012 11:55 AM
Ted

Working the admissions line at the Met Museum about 15 years ago had Matthew Broderick come up to me in line with a friend and when she said she wanted to pay the full suggested admission he told her to pay a penny because "it isn't worth it."

A didn't say a thing to him but haven't paid to see him in anything since.

Jan. 12 2012 11:55 AM
brooklynmom78 from Park Slope, Brooklyn

Without excusing bad behavior by celebrities, it must be stressful to be constantly hounded by paparazzi, and worry about every exposed pantyline, nose pick, and ass scratch being exploited by tabloids. I'd imagine that they feel like they have to be "on" even when the camera is off, and that small indiscretions that most people are guilty of become headline news. In other words- public life means being a robot and not being able to have a bad day. This probably results in a purposeful indifference to both positive and negative attention, and the necessity of this type of treatment even for security purposes.

Jan. 12 2012 11:55 AM
Jan from Westchester County

It was New Year's Eve about 12 years ago. We were eating early at Le Cirque and having a wonderful time. Until Rudy Giuliani came in. While the entire wait staff fawned over him we were neglected and treated rudely.

Needless to say, we never went back.

Jan. 12 2012 11:54 AM
Tessa from Manhattan

I was rushing taking my kids to school and a very familiar man (a fairly short man) was coming towards me. Couldn't place him so thought he must be a dad at the school. Waved and smiled broadly saying 'hi', embarrassed as I was sure I should remember this father's name. Only once I passed him did I realize it was Arnold Schwarzeneger (sp?) and a cohort of security people - not just a crowd I thought he was part of.

Jan. 12 2012 11:54 AM
MM from Forest Hills

I believe Jennifer Lopez quietly facilitated a similar situation at North Shore Hospital in Long Island. Providing Funds for renovations and a Room Naming in order to secure privacy for her childs' birth.

Jan. 12 2012 11:54 AM
Amy from Manhattan

No, Bloomberg, hospitals make up for emergency room patients who can't pay by jacking up what they charge our insurance companies, which then pass the cost along to us by increasing their premiums.

Jan. 12 2012 11:54 AM
Aaron from manhattan

i hear the David Lee Roth was an EMT at one point downtown- any sightings of that?

Jan. 12 2012 11:54 AM
Leo Farley

I work in an Upper East eatery which has a lot of celebrity
customers. I always judge people by their table manners and
especially with the "celebrity" crowd. Tom Hanks is really a
great guy!

Jan. 12 2012 11:54 AM
Stefanie Weiss from West Village

I had a Seinfeldian moment with Larry David when he was in town filming for the last season of Curb. I decided to get his autograph, something I never do with NYC celebs, because my father is obsessed. My pen ran out of ink and I had to get another, he stood there kind of tapping his toe. Then he was like, "What am I going to sign this on??? Turn around, I'll write it on your back!" Then as he was signing, he said "Something smells! Don't worry, it's not you!" It was hilarious.

Jan. 12 2012 11:54 AM
JT from Rochester

I literally almost ran into George Wendt (NORM!!! from Cheers) at a show at Irving Plaza (Ben Folds Five- this was a looong time ago). I was standing with a friend in a doorway and he came around the corner and almost ran right into me. I just gave him the deer-in-headlights look, and he looked at me like I was nuts, and walked away.

Jan. 12 2012 11:53 AM
Joseph from Brooklyn, NY

For an opposing point of view, I once saw Isabella Rossellini waiting outside a West Village restaurant before the people she was meeting showed up. She was polite, graceful, and as pretty in person as she was on screen.

Jan. 12 2012 11:53 AM
anonyme

When Bryant Gumbel was a big star I watched him pitch a very loud hissy fit in an East Side restaurant. What a jerk. That's the first celeb story that came to mind. I'm sure I have more!

Jan. 12 2012 11:53 AM
Erin from Mt. Abe trail, Vermont

I recently relocated from NYC to Vermont and ran into Maggie Gyllenhall, Peter Sarsgaard and their daughter at the head of a hiking trail during Leaf Peaking season. Peter in particular stood out as he was going on a trail run. As he headed uphill in short shorts, we were star struck by his super muscular legs! People just don't look like that in Vermont!

Jan. 12 2012 11:52 AM
Hope from Hastings-on-Hudson

I flew from London to NY on the same plane as Salman Rushdie. I was surprised to see that he was playing video games the whole flight!

Jan. 12 2012 11:52 AM
Holly from Brooklyn

Adrian Grenier, star of Entourage, cut a long line at the ice cream stand at a local farmer's market. He was with his mom and while maybe chivalrous, I was irked by his chutzpah and sense of entitlement.

Jan. 12 2012 11:51 AM
evelyn

Once in the old Barneys I was having my hair done and in the middle of dying they closed the store for Fergie the then Duchess. I thought hey this is new york

Jan. 12 2012 11:51 AM

Beyonce needed all that security so no one would get a picture of the surrogate mother.

Jan. 12 2012 11:51 AM
Ellen from Westchester

My brush with greatness came when I was born in 1951 at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. I was a c-section so my mother was there for several days and down the hall was non other than the Duchess of Windsor who was recovering from surgery. As my parents always told the story, the Duke would stop by my mother's room every day to inquire "how's the wee one doing" (I was in an incubator) I guess the rest is history!

Jan. 12 2012 11:51 AM
Karen from Manhattan

Dennis Quaid running in the wrong direction on the track around the Central Park reservoir. I guess he wanted everyone to see him.

Jan. 12 2012 11:50 AM
Shelley from NYC

About a week before Governor Corzine's accident, a phalanx of black SUVs with government plates going 90mph almost ran us off the road on New Jersey's route 80. Karma?

Jan. 12 2012 11:50 AM
Peter from Chapel Hill, NC

jury duty with Susan Sontag many years ago. I asked her a question such as, "What time is it?" She responded, "I am not giving an interview right now."

Jan. 12 2012 11:49 AM
eCAHNomics

22% of medical services are used by 1% of the pop.

Jan. 12 2012 11:49 AM