Episode #3287

The Apollo Project, Live

« previous episode | next episode »

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Brian Eno's Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks (recorded in 1983), was the musical setting for a non-narrative collection of NASA stock footage from the Apollo program, and was something that Eno didn’t perform live.  As the grand opening of this year’s New York Guitar Festival, a talented cast brings to life a re-imagining of the nearly 30-year old Eno tribute to the Nasa moon landings.

Four of the musicians from “The Apollo Project,” Mike Gordon (Phish), Larry Campbell (Bob Dylan's longtime guitarist), and itsnotyouitsme (Caleb Burhans & Grey McMurray)  join us on this New Sounds program to give us a taste of what we’ll hear at 8PM on Friday night, January 6, 2012, at the World Financial Center’s Wintergarden.  The event features scenes from the documentary feature “Man In The Right Seat,” chronicling Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, a work in progress by director Craig Teper. The ensemble also includes special guests David Torn, Noveller, and Tortoise’s Jeff Parker.

PROGRAM # 3287, (First aired on 1/5/2012)

ARTIST(S)

Available at Amazon.com

Larry Campbell, itsnotyouitsme, Mike Gordon

Live, 1/5/12

Deep Blue Day [4:14]
Under Stars, II [3:57]
Weightless [4:02]

These performances not commercially available.
Information about the New York Guitar Festival: newyorkguitarfestival.org

David Lang / So Percussion

The Woodmans

Titles
Pot Melody [2:29]

Cantaloupe CA 21079
cantaloupemusic.com

New Sounds Asst.

@jneilnyc

You are right. What John says is that ENO never performed it live. But as he wraps up just before he introduces the band, it does sound like he might not have heard about Icebreaker's performance (using Woojun Lee's live arrangement) at the Brighton Festival, and other subsequent renderings. Consider him informed.

Jan. 09 2012 01:42 PM
Kama Mama

Where's my TANG? Ambient channeling a la Hearts of Space. Thanks for sharing this!

Jan. 08 2012 10:24 PM
zappafrank

Just to add to Mike's comments about what Eno Phish has played:

"I'll Come Running" - 5/16/95, first song of a multi song encore

Mike's Band regularly plays:

"No One Receiving"

Jan. 08 2012 01:03 PM
Scott Gagnon from Albuquerque

Sounds wonderful. Loving it. And while I'm on the subject, I like it when high altitude baking comes out right. It's not always easy to bake tasty treats at 5000 feet above sea level. New Mexico just turned 100. Feliz cumpleaños Neuvo Mexico. Also, a shout out to my relatives who may read this message hundreds of years from now; I hope the x-ray exposure my huevos get from this radiological technology degree I'm starting in 2 days doesn't tweak you out too badly. That being said, Ron Paul POWNED the debate in NH tonight. I love NH. I grew up in Coos county and miss the Northeast. One day, I hope to return to you in a grown-up haze, driving my waste vegetable oil powered Mercedes back to you while listening to Phish and Brian Eno's 'Music for Airports.' Happy new year and keep your nose clean.

Jan. 08 2012 12:48 AM
nycjamgal from nyc

Wow, Mike Gordon & Larry Campbell sound great. Makes ears happy. 15.50 mark starts it off right! thanks for sharing this recording with us!!

Jan. 07 2012 11:50 PM
jneilnyc

Wonderful show tonight! However, it was not - as stated - the first live rendition of this album: there were several performances in the UK within the last 2 years ...

Jan. 07 2012 02:47 AM
michael from astoria

Beautiful realizations of a seminal work.
I wish I could attend tomorrow. Happy I could tonight.

Jan. 05 2012 11:43 PM
Mark Sunshine

This is supremely sweet -- listening now at 11:39 EST -- thanks for this!

Jan. 05 2012 11:39 PM