Fading Ads of New York City

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Acclaimed photographer and urban documentarian Frank Jump talks about his 20-year effort to document fading ads in the city. His book Fading Ads of New York City is a photo-documentary and a study of time and space, of mortality and living.

Frank Jump. Jewish Shoe Factory

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. Macy's Uptown Stables

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. World's Greatest Movie Center

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. Uneeda Biscuit

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. Mecca Smokes

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. Bendix Home Laundry

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. Wm. W. Pecan Undertaker and Embalmer

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. Dr. Tucker's 59 for all pain

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. Soho Coca Cola/Duckett & Adler/Wintergarden

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. Young and Schmuck

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump. Guinness Beer

From Fading Ads of New York City.

Frank Jump

I am a native NYer who has lived in Fayetteville NC for the past 29 years (retired military Ft Bragg). A local building (Shamrock Auto Sales 4500 Bragg Blvd) is in the way of road widening and may be demolished soon. This building (on the E side of the street) has a 9/11 mural on the nw side, which is difficult to see from the north bound lane. It can be seen from the south bound lane, but is viewed across 3 lanes of traffic. I have photos of the mural, but I am not good enough to get a proper photo. I have contacted NC DOT for info on scheduled demolition, but have not received an answer. Can anyone help preserve an image of this mural? I can provide photos, but they are substandard.

e-mail mariaschnell109@gmail.com

Oct. 01 2012 11:14 AM
Frankie from Harlem

148th Street between 7th & 8ths in the parking lot of the police station - Omega Oil for Sun Burn For Weak Backs

Jan. 10 2012 12:50 AM
Frank Jump from Flatbush, Brooklyn

@Nancy- Yes, Hunters Baltimore Rye. I saved that one for the next book!
@Matt- Most ad spaces were meant to be painted over. The huge ad on 34th Street and 8th Avenue is a good example of a wall that has had thousands of ads painted over it. Eventually they get scraped. As for removing them, I imagine it would cost more money to remove them than to just let them fade.
@Frank - You are so right.
@ Tom- Would love to check it out. We have a house in the Poconos and sometimes take the southern route. Can you send me a pin-dropped Google Map with the location?
@Sharra- that is a fake. If it were real, it would have faded by now. I feature it in the book as an example of signs painted for films.

<a href="http://www.fadingad.com/fadingadblog/" target="_blank">Check out my blog!</a>
Thanks for listening!

Jan. 04 2012 05:37 PM
Nancy

Did you get the chance to see the pristine ad painted on an apartment building wall exposed when its neighboring building was torn down on Broadway near Lincoln Center? I think it was the late '90s that it became visible for just a few weeks (the owners of the building under construction covered it up with a stretched canvas mural).

It was a liquor ad as I recall. Featured a man in riding gear with a horse and it was beautiful.

Jan. 04 2012 02:35 PM
Matt from Brooklyn

Q for Frank: in a city that moves as quickly as NYC, why have these ads been left to the elements at all instead of having been removed years ago? Not that I'm complaining, I love to discover them wherever they may be.

Jan. 04 2012 01:21 PM
Frank Grimaldi from East Village

Funny thing is that fading signs aren't the only signs being covered up. There was a canvas sign that was pinned up to an old building on 14th street. When NYU build a new student dorm on 3rd Ave, they do so right up against the sign. So in a strange way the more things change the more they stay the same.

Jan. 04 2012 01:20 PM
Tom from Easton PA

There is an old Coke sign painted on a rocky outcropping on the Lehigh River in Easton PA. It's fading but still visible.

Jan. 04 2012 01:16 PM
Sharra from UWS

There is a great Planter's Peanuts ad in Ridgewood Queens, visable from the Seneca Avenue station.

Jan. 04 2012 01:12 PM