Open Phones: Iowans on Caucus Day

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Iowa transplants or listeners in Iowa: describe the profile of an Iowa voter - and tell us if you think Iowa deserves to go first.

Marcy Feller from Manhattan

Iowans show up at the caucuses not yet knowing whom they support? Really? After weeks of the candidates lavishing personal attention on Iowans, making up their minds at the last minute is mind-boggling. Maybe the candidates should invest that precious time elsewhere.

Jan. 03 2012 08:50 PM
roman from manhattan

Brian, you are embarrassing yourself. Are you jealous? What does it matter, if it starts in Iowa? Your obvious condescension is a good reason for it not to start in NYC, that's obvious. Besides the media power wielded by the East Coast is far more influential than any Iowa caucus which you would even admit does not really that influential in picking the nominee. Another thing to ask yourself: Would Iowa be so important if you didn't spend so much mocking attention to it? That's your call. But apparently there is nothing more amusing than being "midwestern" in your circles. Tolerance? Hmmm. While I've lost a lot of respect for your opinions, I am proud of the Iowans who refused to take your fishing invitation to make fun of themselves. Your regionalism is sorely misplaced. The only person that looks bad in your quest is you and the chuckling clowns of self-regard you enlist to your pursuit of midwest mockery.

Jan. 03 2012 07:23 PM
Brian from Hoboken

The primary process is a joke. As is the general election. But this Iowa infatuation has literally cost taxpayers billions. Why do you think that we have had these enormous farm bills and ethanol subsidies year after year? To the callers who say that Iowans do a good job vetting candidates, it seems to me the number one priority for them is keeping the government checks rolling in.

Jan. 03 2012 10:55 AM
John Lee from New York, NY

Thought this video provided a refreshing alternative look at Iowa politics

Jan. 03 2012 10:49 AM
ann from hackensack nj

I am not from Iowa but isn't that where the Julia Roberts character desperate to escape from her abusive husband escaped to ostensibly for maximum anonymity?

Jan. 03 2012 10:47 AM
Mike from Inwood

I'm not from Iowa, but I'm not opposed to Iowa going first. I think all the small states should go first, because it costs more to campaign in a large state, like California. If California were to go first, underfunded and lesser-known candidates could not compete with better-funded, well-known candidates. Having the small states vote first allows a larger number of more diverse candidates to complete for the nomination.

In any case, no state is 'representative' of the entire US and the idea that the states should 'rotate' because it would be more 'fair' is ridiculous. With 50 states, any state would only 'go first' every 200 years, far more than the lifetime of any one person, so everyone would not get a chance to live in a state that goes first. Sometimes, Brian, your show is just a platform for you to reveal how really weird you are.

Jan. 03 2012 10:44 AM
Tom from UWS

I'm from Nebraska, and I recall always thinking of Iowa as more liberal than we were. In fact, Iowa had same-sex marriage long before New York, although it was rolled back by conservative Christian activists. There is a good deal of independent thinking in those "heartland" states. They may be conservative bullwarks, but are not strictly so.

Jan. 03 2012 10:41 AM
David Schneck from NJ

Iowans take themselves much too seriously. If you have any doubts, just tell someone from Iowa "I love your potatos". Sit back and enjoy!!!!

Jan. 03 2012 10:41 AM
Mike from Inwood

I'm not from Iowa, but I'm not opposed to Iowa going first. I think all the small states should go first, because it costs more to campaign in a large state, like California, which prevents underfunded candidates with a smaller base from completing with better funded candidates.

Jan. 03 2012 10:31 AM