Open Phones: Changing Your Mind

Thursday, December 29, 2011

What did you change your mind about in 2011? The phones are open for your calls on what you changed your opinion about this year, whether personally or politically, and why.

Call in to 212-433-WNYC, 212-433-9692 at 11:06 this morning, or leave your comment below!

Hey, wow Sheldon. Thanks for completely not getting what the call in was about and expressing your opinion in such and negative and unproductive way. You're name calling really 'helps' the conversation. Please put your head back in the sand and strap on all your handguns. Lord knows you have the right to protect yourself from the government who is 'out to get you'. I never even mentioned at all what I thought about the government vs gun ownership. I expressed my personal opinion on handguns. As for what you call my hubris and sophistry -maybe you should look in the mirror to see that, because you don't know me at all.

Dec. 29 2011 11:45 AM
smartbird from upper manhattan

I changed my mind about Facebook. Decided virtual relationships, as enticing as they can be sometimes, aren't for me.

Dec. 29 2011 11:35 AM
Jeff from the West Village

W/r/t NS's comment, the Bridge Plan premium for me is just over $400 here in NYC. For someone with a serious pre-existing condition, that's a great rate and a real improvement over what we had before--I was looking at plans in the upper four figures from those few companies who would consider insuring me at all. I'm not endorsing GHI in particular yet, but it seems a lot better than for instance the Freelancer's Union coverage used to be.

Dec. 29 2011 11:33 AM
Amy from Manhattan

anonymous, do you know if it was all charter schools that are run that way? Maybe having worked at 1 bad charter school isn't enough of a reason to oppose the entire concept. (I'm not either for or against the idea personally.)

Dec. 29 2011 11:28 AM
Susan

To Rayze!

Are you a gynecologist? Mother of 5? Married to Antoine? If so, let me know!

Susan W.

Dec. 29 2011 11:26 AM
Jeff from the West Village

To follow up on Laverne's call: the aspect of the affordable care act she is talking about is the Bridge Plan in New York; for those, like me, with pre-existing conditions it's a real life-saver. Here it's administered by GHI.

Dec. 29 2011 11:25 AM
NS from Bklyn

Just a note regarding the previous caller from NJ. NJ's health insurance laws are stronger than much of the nation, and were so prior to Obama's Healthcare plan passing. I know b/c I had to look for health insurance in early '09. NJ has required carriers to cover people regardless of pre-existing conditions for a long time. And NJ premiums are significantly lower than NYC. Try $400/mo for a self-employed individual versus $1,000/mo in NYC.

BTW - Our rental laws could take a lesson from NJ too. NJ tenants are more protected than NYC. Here it seems you are completely vulnerable to the whim of landlords, unless you're willing to make the landlord's life hell by threatening not to move out, and instead take them to court. I live in constant concern over hassling my landlord for major repairs that are needed - for example flooding. They can ask you to move out here if they merely don't like you for being a pesky tenant - go fight it in court. Not the case in NJ.

Dec. 29 2011 11:24 AM

Not me personally but my dad. He has always been for privatization of Social Security but after this last decade now sees what a disaster that could end up being.

Dec. 29 2011 11:23 AM

On the flip side there's "Compassionate Conservatism". Against murder but let's not even regulate assault weapons...

Dec. 29 2011 11:19 AM
anonymous

I've changed my minds about charter schools. I used to think they were the answer to educational and social change, but after working at one for three years I now think they are unsustainable. Teachers are at the school from 6am to 6pm and we're exhausted. Teacher turn-over is incredibly high because of the intense demands put on the staff, which leads to an unstable school with a lot of discipline problems and a very high-stress environment--for the students as well as the adults.

Dec. 29 2011 11:19 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Ladies and Gents, that gun caller is a perfect example of what's wrong with "liberalism" - a mixture of hubris and sophistry.

She hates guns but now that she needs a gun, she is for guns? But she is still against handguns because she doesn't know why [other] people "need" them?

Dec. 29 2011 11:18 AM
thomas from NNJ

I used to be very gingoistice. America right or wrong. But now I am DONE with being the world's policeman. DONE with sacrificing our soldiers and making things worse.

Dec. 29 2011 11:17 AM
Susan

I changed my mind about public school. My son is applying to high school for next year. He has attended a small private school (15 kids per grade!) since kindergarten. I desperately wanted to send him to public school for high school because the private/public disctinction feels very unjust and elitist. But after touring public high schools this year and seeing what 35 kids in a class looks like, I will be following my self-interest instead of my liberal principles and sending my son to private school.

Dec. 29 2011 11:17 AM
Jerry from nyc

losing optimism about the future of this country because of the $$ inequalities, they are becoming more craterous every year and nobody seems to be able to reverse the course

Dec. 29 2011 11:14 AM
RLewis

I used to believe that they subway lines sucked and need to be improved. Now, I believe that the subways trains are not supposed to be public limo's, and would prefer to not have them upgraded and move the fare back to $1 a ride. Crappy can be good... or at least cheaper!

Dec. 29 2011 11:14 AM
Erin from nyc

I have begun to question my long-held assumption that a massive federal bureaucracy is the only and clearly most humane way for us to take care of each other as a society. It now saddens me when I hear my nominally "leftist" friends dismiss advocates for smaller government as "heartless" or "selfish." Many such advocates honestly think that big government discourages humanitarian engagement and opportunity.

I am stunned at the lack of humility across the political spectrum, but I am thrilled to have thrown off some blinkers, with the help of friends with whom I frequently and productively disagree.

Dec. 29 2011 11:12 AM
Mark

I converted to Apple. I've used Linux for around a decade and I wanted to like Android. Well, Linux is awesome as a server but it's not useful on the desktop at all. Mac OS X has Final Cut, Logic Pro and of course the Adobe suite. Android gets hype as a "Linux phone", well sure it uses the Linux kernel but if you've ever written an Android app you know it's really a "Java phone". Well, Java is slow and patent encumbered. Much rather use Objective-C for coding. So, sorry Linux scene but I'm doing a design degree now and I need a UNIX platform that's not only geeky programming tools but also creative tools for content creation.

Dec. 29 2011 11:11 AM
Maude from Park Slope

decided to stop drinking and go to AA in August. By far the hardest and most humbling thing I've ever done; but it was also the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Dec. 29 2011 11:11 AM
raizy

I changed my mind mind on ultra conservatives.
since i found out that the Iowa federal judge Linda Reid was appointed by president Bush, I will from now on never support conservatives. Judge reid sentanced Sholem Rubashkin to a 27 year sentance.

Dec. 29 2011 11:10 AM
Yosif from Manhattan

I changed my mind on the death penalty after the Troy Davis case. It's too much of a slippery slope I guess to allow such a travesty.

Dec. 29 2011 11:08 AM

Have changed opinion toward more confirmed than ever that a little militancy is needed. got off the line downtown and asked where is that famous park, the suit pointed north and there it was Occupy, was there to see two singer's form the sixties, who showed but found myself chatting quite a bit. A guy stopped and i was asked what brought me here, "wanted to see" I replied suspicious as always, mentioned seeing the Boston occupy, and spoke of it, how they were shouting ,marching through the market there as people ate, said they were a little in your face, and my interrogator pushed it, some times things require a little militancy.
Changed my mind? Not exactly, but wanting my own values held a bit more closely,dearly. Going back to today's show's first topic of liberal v tolerant and again want to put webster's definition of liberal as tolerant in a context:
To paraphrase from "The Short Happy Life of Francis J Mac Comber" by Hemingway : he was tolerant (liberal), which was a good trait, only it was the worse thing about him.
Want to be less tolerant in the way my Occupy mystery questioner saw that some times militancy is wanted

Dec. 29 2011 10:44 AM

Human cloning. I used to be against it but now that scientists working together from Stanford and Caltech have figured out a way to connect the clones minds wirelessly to the original individual and create a sort-of "personal borg network", I have come around and am now behind the idea.

Dec. 29 2011 10:38 AM