Streams

CT Fire Caused by Old Fireplace Embers

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Connecticut officials said a Christmas morning fire that killed a couple and three of their grandchildren was caused by old fireplace embers.

Officials say the fire in Stamford was an accident caused by hot fireplace embers that were discarded near a first-floor mudroom.

The officials say it isn't clear if the home had working smoke detectors.

Stamford Mayor Michael Pavia calls it a tragic accident.

Neighbors say they were awakened by screams shortly before 5 a.m. and rushed outside to help but could do nothing as flames devoured the large home.

The fire killed Lomer and Pauline Johnson, who were visiting their daughter Madonna Badger for the holidays. Badger's three daughters - 10-year-old Lily and 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah - also died.

Badger and her male acquaintance escaped.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Leave a Comment

Register for your own account so you can vote on comments, save your favorites, and more. Learn more.
Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. Names are displayed with all comments. We reserve the right to edit any comments posted on this site. Please read the Comment Guidelines before posting. By leaving a comment, you agree to New York Public Radio's Privacy Policy and Terms Of Use.

Sponsored

Latest Newscast

 

 

Support

WNYC is supported by the Charles H. Revson Foundation: Because a great city needs an informed and engaged public

Feeds

Supported by