Inside Iowa and New Hampshire

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Andrew Smith, professor of politcal science at the University of New Hampshire and director of its Survey Center, and Steffen Schmidt, professor at Iowa State University, discuss how Iowa is gearing up for the GOP caucus.

Steffen Schmidt and Andrew McCall Smith

The Truth from Becky

John from the O: of course he did?! Who said anything about race???

Dec. 20 2011 11:48 AM
Ed from Larchmont

The Republicans disagree on issues.

Dec. 20 2011 10:48 AM
Stan from Queens NY

I rather my president talks and acts like my college professor and not like my friend up the road that I drink beer with on weekends while watching the games like that idiot sounding Bush.

Dec. 20 2011 10:34 AM
Amy from Manhattan

What I don't get is, if Iowans are as politically engaged as 1 of the guests said (& the rest of his "why Iowa" answer), why haven't they ever elected a woman? And if they're so reluctant to vote for women, how'd Bachmann win the straw poll? They'll only vote for a woman in a race that doesn't count?

Dec. 20 2011 10:32 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Ed - what "pro-homosexual" agenda are you taking about? Last time I checked, The President was against "gay marriage."

Dec. 20 2011 10:30 AM
john from office

Becky, I am 100 % for Obama, last time and now. There is a vast desert out there on the otherside that is very scary. but I think he meant party, as in uniform, not race.

OBAMA !!! 2012

Dec. 20 2011 10:30 AM
Bob from Flushing

For many GOP voters who want Obama out it is racism, pure and simple. Let's just admit it, please! I know GOP voters who live in Georgia who absolutely hated McCain, yet, nonetheless, told me they "just can't vote for Obama."

Whaddya think?

Dec. 20 2011 10:29 AM
The Truth from Becky

He wears the "wrong uniform"?? I thought we were all AMERICANS!

Dec. 20 2011 10:27 AM
Ed from Larchmont

Also President Obama is strongly pro-abortion and pro-homosexual agenda, if you vote for him you better agree with that. That's in addition to the economic outlook.

Dec. 20 2011 10:26 AM
Dorothy from NYC

Ron Paul is crazy because he wants us to stop bombing people?

He is the only honest candidate, and I did not gasp, I applauded and I'm an conservative Republican.

You are - again - clueless about how the people in this country feel

Dec. 20 2011 10:26 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

It has always been the case, that in times of deep economic woes that the people start to look for a savior. A demogogue who normally would be considered outside the pale, suddenly becomes attractive. Extreme cases including Lenin, Mussolini and Hitler, but even the US FDR was practically worshipped as the savior of the Republic.

Demagoguery is back in vogue due to the harshness of the times. I hope Americans don't fall for it.

Dec. 20 2011 10:25 AM
Joe Corrao

a strong defense is different than going to war, nation building, and killing civilians

Dec. 20 2011 10:25 AM
Joe Corrao

you people are scary

Dec. 20 2011 10:23 AM
Joe Corrao

he's a liar...or a whatever he ha to say
mention Ron Paul as someone who isn't following the floe

Dec. 20 2011 10:20 AM
Ben from Westchester

I will concur with the last caller.

Since this is WNYC and presumably largely funded by New Yorkers, it is important to start any discussion with a critique of the electoral college and a discussion of WHY this country still sees itself through this vaseline lens as small town America.

Less than 1% of the nation is living like that. And the focus on middle American farm issues buries the urban issues that we all face every day. And it forces me to eat yet more HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP for breakfast.

Ugh.

Dec. 20 2011 10:19 AM
Joe Corrao

Ron Paul has talked issues for 30+ years...he talks about the things that caused the mess we are in consistently and predicted the housing collapse...and he's not full of crap

Dec. 20 2011 10:19 AM
The Truth from Becky

The repubs are sooo focused on "beat Obama" ...ridiculous!

OBAMA 2012

Dec. 20 2011 10:16 AM
David from West Hempstead

Iowa's republicans are far more conservative (only 12 percent identify as moderate or liberal) than any other electorate--why should being liked in Iowa mean anything to the rest of the country?

Dec. 20 2011 10:13 AM
Joe Corrao

Brian
you mention Rick Santorum more than the front runner Ron paul...RS is a war monger maybe?

Dec. 20 2011 10:12 AM