The Science of Subway Sleeping

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sleeping on the subway (Kate Hinds/WNYC)

Carl Bazil, professor of clinical neurology and director of the Division of Epilepsy and Sleep at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons, talks about his subway sleeping experiment as documented by Christine Haughney for the New York Times

Dr. Carl Bazil

Carin from Chelsea

I'd love to hear about maintaining children's internal sleep clocks as they progress to and through the teen years. After my first son did the c"classic" night owl routine, we've ramped up our next child's physical activity, and ambivalently wake him on week-ends after he's had 11.5 -12 hours in bed, and while we do require an earlier bedtime than we did for his older brother, he is only 13. This will rapidly get harder to enforce.
Thanks!

Mar. 01 2012 10:55 AM
SALLY MORROW from Ottawa Canada

In the 1950.s I worked on Wall Street but lived on E. 222nd St. in the Bronx so I had about an hour on the train and I relied on that hour to catch up on my sleep. somehow my brain registered all the stops downtown but people were always trying to wake me - sure I was going to go past my stop and wind up in Brooklyn! Never happened. I still remember 221st until 125th the 86th then 42nd and so on...Now I'm 80 and can't remember where I left my glasses!!

Dec. 13 2011 12:02 PM
BUB

the A and C also have better lighting and color schemes for napping than the new trains- dimmer, softer light and neutral beiges and greys as opposed to the bright periwinkle and flourescent blast you get on the others. sad to see the older trains go away, they are so much more civilized...

Dec. 13 2011 12:01 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I wonder if the people who can sleep on the train but not in their beds used to be the babies who would only go to sleep in a moving car!

Dec. 13 2011 11:58 AM
Alison from Crown Heights, BKLYN

I think most "sleepers" on the subway have been drinking.

Dec. 13 2011 11:52 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

For length - The A train for sure. For quietness - perhaps the F/Q (new carriages)

Dec. 13 2011 11:51 AM
David from West Hempstead

It's all about sleeping on commuter trains.

Dec. 13 2011 11:49 AM

Andrea - just want to say how much I'm enjoying this show. When tuning in and hearing a non-Brian voice my expectations sank but you've been asking fantastic questions of these fantastic guests, especially Khrushcheva and Castaneda. Many thanks!

Dec. 13 2011 11:49 AM

I would never sleep in the subway b/c of my fear of rats!

Dec. 13 2011 11:48 AM

@ geTaylor:

Funny!!!

Dec. 13 2011 10:51 AM

Don't sleep in the subway, darling. :-)

Dec. 13 2011 10:06 AM