Amanpour on Covering Democracy

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Christiane Amanpour, host of ABC's This Week with Christiane Amanpour, talks about reporting on and covering pro-democracy movements this past year, and entering the presidential election cycle as a talk show host.

Christiane Amanpour

Andrea from NYC

Terribly disingenuous of Christiane Amanpour to refer to herself as middle class, she was born into relative wealth, sent to boarding school in England as a child and shared a house with JFK, Jr. while she was in college. Her son may not be able to beat the millions that she and her husband make but he will certainly inherit great wealth and never have a monetary worry in his life.

Dec. 26 2011 10:45 AM
rl

did she really refer to the Tunisian vegetable cart vendo as the "spark"? Oh please!

Dec. 07 2011 11:08 AM
Impatient

I am so sick of the Arab Spring mentioned in the same breath as Occupy Wall Street. It is insulting. OWS has nightmare envy.

Dec. 07 2011 10:59 AM
Bernard from Bronx

There is an alarming lack of nuance and intellectual honesty in this conversation. For example, to posit that the American dream is open to anyone who is willing to work hard is eminently false. To believe that is to deny the existence of the black experience in America.

Dec. 07 2011 10:59 AM

Go Korporate Media®!

Is anyone else queasy?

Dec. 07 2011 10:54 AM
Anonymous

Ms. Amanpour, respectfully, you are not middle class. You should not expect your son to have a better standard of living than you, but you can be reasonably confident that he will remain at the top of the income distribution.

Dec. 07 2011 10:53 AM
Robert from NYC

But we still haven't seen a true uprising here in the great democracy the USA. The great democracy where police and the state stop us at every attempt to display our anger and displeasure with our politicians and policies that serve only a minority and a rich minority. We have not yet really displayed our anger. We are still not being heard. You seem to be afraid to say it as it is. We still need a real uprising, non-violent and that it would be without violent police.
The American Dream has become a nightmare.

Dec. 07 2011 10:52 AM
RJ from Prospect Hts

The balancing act between the individual and the group is a tricky one. In fact the Tunisians, Egyptians, among others had been training and planning for years. In Serbia there was Otpur, and there were communications and trainings among young people in the Middle East--following Gene Sharp, the American expert on Gandhi.

Here in NYC there have been many small gatherings in Wall Street attempting to reclaim public space, highlight inequality--it took this desperate moment in the US for OWS to spark recent changes.

Moments in time can matter almost as much as the individual-group dynamic.

Dec. 07 2011 10:50 AM
David from West Hempstead

I think it's incredibly under-reported that a significant part of Bouazizi's motivation for self-immolation was his shame at being publicly mistreated by a female police officer.

Dec. 07 2011 10:48 AM
Robert from NYC

I cannot remember his name but he is one of my heroes. I will have to remember him. I wish you would write it so I can see how it is spelled. He should be held up by all of us. A true martyr for all of us and sadly so.

Dec. 07 2011 10:48 AM
Kate from Washington Heights

MLK got his quote about the universe bending toward justice from 19th century Unitarian minister Theodore Parker: "I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one, my eye reaches but little ways; I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. And from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice."

Also, Lincoln got the line "Government by the people, for the people" from Parker:
heodore Parker (29 May 1850). ""The American Idea:" speech at N.E. Anti-Slavery Convention, Boston". Bartleby.com. "A democracy,—that is a government of all the people, by all the people, for all the people; of course, a government of the principles of eternal justice, the unchanging law of God; for shortness’ sake I will call it the idea of Freedom."

Dec. 07 2011 10:47 AM