Thousands of Votes Tossed Out

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Tens of thousands of votes were thrown out last year. Hear Larry Norden, deputy director of the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center, discuss why he thinks those votes were not counted and what to do about it.

Larry Norden

ay ay ay

explains the driving

Dec. 06 2011 02:34 PM
Christopher from Hoboken

The term that occurs to me is "de facto literacy test."

Dec. 06 2011 02:09 PM
Mike from Inwood

@ Hugh Stanton: While I don't work for the Board of Elections, I do work at the polls. New York State does not use Diebold machines. Look for yourself at the next election.

Every state has some voting irregularities. I don't think New York has a particularly high number of them.

Ultimately, I think New York State is corrupt because the New York City, its suburbs and upstate New York are such distinctively different areas with different percieved interests and agendas. They see each other as 'not like me' and fight instead of working together.

Dec. 06 2011 12:06 PM
ph

These ballot designers should be required to take a course on user interface design. They'll learn how to use metrics and to appropriately test their designs.

Dec. 06 2011 11:49 AM
Marco from New York

Does everything have to be dumbed down? I've never had trouble voting (and English is not my first language).

Dec. 06 2011 11:43 AM
john from office

Anyone voting for Charles Baron should be automatically disqualified as a voter.

Dec. 06 2011 11:42 AM

An obvious question is whether there are literacy issues in the affected areas. If so, then making a ballot that is hard to read becomes a _de facto_ test of literacy -- a test for voting -- illegal.

Again, why is New York State so damn hostile to public oversight of the machinations of our _elected_ officials. They are public servants, yet they act like they are masters.

Dec. 06 2011 11:38 AM

First question: Was Diebold involved in this in any way?

Second: Why is New York State invariably troubled by voting irregularities? Why is this state the most corrupt (commonly said by political scientists)?

Dec. 06 2011 11:34 AM