“Seminar” with Lily Rabe, Hamish Linklater, and Alan Rickman

Friday, December 02, 2011

Lily Rabe, Hamish Linklater, and Alan Rickman discuss “Seminar,” a new comedy by Peabody Award winner Theresa Rebeck. In the play, four aspiring young novelists sign up for private writing classes with an international literary figure. Under his brilliant and unorthodox instruction, some thrive and others flounder. It’s playing at The Golden Theatre.

Hamish Linklater, Lily Rabe and Alan Rickman

Meesh

Alan Rickman has been patiently answering these same villain questions for the past 25+ years. He did answer quite a few intially but Mr Lopate kept going on and Mr Rickman probably did not want a repeat of Tuesday's Talk Of The Nation show. I think this might be the first time I've heard him actually divert the discussion but he did do it gently with a little chuckle. Most Rickman fans will know that he is very grateful for these roles but being in a current Broadway play, after two previous highly successful stints, along with two other great young stage actors, was it really difficult to keep the focus on Seminar and stage work?

Dec. 03 2011 08:30 AM
RG from SoCal

Yes, Alan Rickman has played a few villans, and yes, he was brilliant at them, but most of his roles were not as villans. It has to be tiring for him to constantly have his career summed up for a fraction of his work. He's an amazing actor. I personally think his comedic roles are his best. His timing is impeccable, and his his facial expressions can speak paragraphs without him actually saying any words. I watched this play on the 11/21 and it was hillarious! All the actors were great, and they were very sweet signing autographs after the show.

Dec. 03 2011 05:15 AM
Cait

Is this the same interview that aired when people were commenting? Hamish doesn't so much as compliment himself even once and he talks about his role when asked. None of them sound sleepy to me, unless your referring to how their voices naturally sound. I think they're all naturally just "slow" speakers, even if it's different in the play.

As for the villians thing, I think Leonard should have dropped the topic when it was clear Alan was annoyed, but I do think Alan was a little short. Even if he read other interviews, Leonard might not understand there are certain questions that are annoying. "I get that question a lot and don't like to think of myself as a villian" would have worked. On the other hand, having your whole career focused on a few roles is irriting. I'll just say I see both sides. XD

Dec. 02 2011 06:30 PM
Steve

Alan Rickman is a tough interview. I agree he should be more accepting of the fact people enjoy his villains. Go with it, let people gush over this villain or that and say "Thanks".

Dec. 02 2011 02:44 PM
Frank Emanuel from Cresskill, NJ 07626

As a fledging writer in my AARP years, I have noticed that in my autobiography class I get a great classmate reaction when I write about an experience that I isolate from the rest of the story and focus on the event itself. During Lenny's interview of Alan today, Alan described how a great director provided inspiration to actors in rehearsal with comments such as..."how would it be if you said..." He also said that the director always said "make it big!” That is what I will do with my writing to more fully engage my readers” make it big!” Thanks Lenny. Frank

Dec. 02 2011 01:51 PM
Jack

Mr. Rickman should just embrace the fact that people love the 3 or 4 villains he has played among all his other characters. It is just the way the world is, bad guys get the attention because they are more interesting. But I understand the irritation when it is continuously brought up.

Dec. 02 2011 01:30 PM
Sheila

Alan Rickman is continuously confronted with the lazy question of his "villian" rolls which, in his long storied career, are about 3. Come on, do your homework!

Dec. 02 2011 01:14 PM
An Admirer

That has to be one of the worst interviews ever, tip for Mr Lopate ... Do some prep before you waste the time of the people you interview! Positively painful to hear the same tired old questions trotted out to Mr Rickman. Guess Mr Lopate hasn't heard of originality, perhaps if he had taken a little time to learn more about the three people he was interviewing he wouldn't of had to keep filling time with adverts for a play!

Dec. 02 2011 01:06 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

OMG! What a sleepy interview with some very sleepy actors.

Dec. 02 2011 12:35 PM
christen

oh this is painful why does leonard have to try to hard to sell THEIR play. maybe they'll just go to commercial
ugh!!

Dec. 02 2011 12:32 PM
kec123 from upsate ny

Leonard is doing an admirable and patient job of humoring Hamish's apparently rather inflated self image.

Dec. 02 2011 12:30 PM
Alice from China

oh my god! This is really! I'm from Beijing. Hear the voice of Alan very excited! forgive me. my english is very poor.

Dec. 02 2011 12:28 PM
John from office

Can Mr. Rickman say the word COWBOY, like he did in Die Hard, He was great.

Dec. 02 2011 12:21 PM
Jon

If Hamish Linklater is unable or unwilling to talk about his work, then why is he on the show?

Dec. 02 2011 12:19 PM
Lisa

Best wishes to the Seminar Crew from Germany!

Dec. 02 2011 12:07 PM
Brenda from New York City

I saw Seminar a couple of weeks ago. The performances are most certainly first rate. Lily Rabe is a wonderful addition to the New York stage! I natter more about Seminar here: http://heresheisboys.com/2011/11/10/seminar-review/

Dec. 02 2011 07:19 AM