Open Phones: Are You Kidding Me?

Friday, December 02, 2011

A few recent news stories made us say, "Are you kidding me?" Call in with your examples, from news, culture, personal conversations, whatever! 212-433-9692

carolita from nyc

Newt Gingrich is back and ahead of Romney after flopping earlier due to:
- seedy personal life
- huge expense account at Tiffany's
- flip flopping on everything
- being a total loser, and having everyone on his campaign walk out on him?

Are you kidding me?

Dec. 05 2011 11:09 AM
Pamela from Long Island

Regarding the cheating scandal in Great Neck, Nassau County DA, Kathleen Rice, said there was no evidence showing parents were aware of the scheme. Perhaps, but I find it very hard to believe!! It seems to me that some of the fees were pretty large for teens to pay without their parents knowledge. Is someone kidding?

Dec. 02 2011 12:29 PM
T.W. from NJ

Some candidates who hope to be the next U.S. president were called upon to do so by . . . god!

(Are you kidding me?)

Me, too. I'll be starting a blog soon to gain a following.

Dec. 02 2011 12:20 PM
john from office

DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Not racebaiting, but I do like to stir the pot. Comment section is for that, comments.

Jesse Jackson had a talk show on CNN, ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Mumblemouth!

Dec. 02 2011 12:19 PM
cherie from LES

Located in some pubs' loos in England, a new video game is being played by men taking a leak at the urinal. Aim is controlled by the customer's stream of urine and tests the player's accuracy. Are you kidding me?

Dec. 02 2011 12:15 PM
ericf

AFAIK the description of the cell phone given on the air was incorrect. I watched the video yesterday. The pair of apps in question have been shown to monitor the user's input and phone's output, presumably to compare them to see if everything the user types is actually making it out the door. I do not recall any indications that the data is being recorded or sent to the carrier.

The analyst who posted the video basically demonstrated very clearly that the apps are receiving the data and cannot be turned in off like other apps and then poses some questions about what the apps might be doing with the data. He does not attempt to answer them. I do not recall any mention of the apps saving all the data or sending to the carrier.

That is not to positively state that the kind of "database" that the caller seemed concerned about does not exist, just that so far the available info does not say anything about one. For reasons that are beyond scope for the moment it seems unlikely that there is one. What one would expect is one or two error logs.

Dec. 02 2011 12:04 PM
Randy from Manhattan

Michele Bachman's comment that a family is only a man and a woman. Therefore, children are not necessary (so much for the procreation function), but if procreation happens and one of the heterosexual parents dies, then there is no family (i.e., there is not a man and a woman, only a man or woman and a child/children).

Dec. 02 2011 12:01 PM
jean from Manhattan

The "Greek chorus" during "you've got be kidding me" added nothing but annoying noise to the show. I can't imagine that anyone at WNYC thought it would be a good idea.

Dec. 02 2011 12:00 PM
rachel from red hook

are you kidding me? The DOE says it is complying with Charter School law when it using a placement analysis for Districts 13 & 14 to place a new, unwanted Charter in District 15.

Dec. 02 2011 11:59 AM
David

@Jehan

Prussic acid = cyanide, it occurs naturally in apple seeds.

Dec. 02 2011 11:58 AM
Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

The Fed financed a 'secret' bail-out of the banking system - from which ample bonuses were awarded to execs, etc. Yet the mortgage holders and student loanholders have been allowed to twist in the wind.

Whether he meant to or not, Ben Bernanke has sanctioned a kleptocracy where competence does not matter.

Are you kidding me?

Dec. 02 2011 11:58 AM
ME

Another Anti- Catholic story..haven't heard one positive story regarding the Catholic Church from NPR.... You have to be kidding me!You can't find one good story about the Catholic Church..

Dec. 02 2011 11:58 AM
David from West Hempstead

Women for Herman Cain is a thing.

Dec. 02 2011 11:57 AM
john from office

Skip Gates wrote another book on African Americans, ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Dec. 02 2011 11:56 AM
Nora Rocket from Queens

This segment! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This is horrid, commercial radio-type noise.

Things are dire in the US. I'm sorry, none of this is funny or cathartic or entertaining or helpful or informative.

Dec. 02 2011 11:56 AM
Jehan S de Noue

How about the apple juice lobby spokesperson telling the world with a straight face that arcenic is a natural product, when asked what the apple juice peeps were going to do about the report of high concentation of arcenic in apple juice

Dec. 02 2011 11:55 AM
Rich from nj

Ban on slaghtering horses for meat was lifted in the US. Are you kidding me!

Dec. 02 2011 11:54 AM
Amy from Manhattan

At least 1 store circular (can't remember which store, but I saw it that weekend) is still calling its early-morning Black Friday sales "doorbusters," 3 years after a Walmart employee was killed in a stampede of shoppers.

Dec. 02 2011 11:54 AM
meg from Midtown, NY

Please make this stop.

Dec. 02 2011 11:53 AM
john from office

Sean Bell's wife ran for office, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Dec. 02 2011 11:53 AM
Douglas from NYC

Pro-Abortion advocates were upset than iPhone's SIRI could not locate an abortion clinic nearby. Hello...what is your doctor or gyn for? Are You Kidding Me?

Dec. 02 2011 11:52 AM
rachel from red hook

the story that NPR played yesterday am about women in their 40's being shocked -- no one told them! -- that their fertility is declining. AND, this is a feminist issue??!

Dec. 02 2011 11:51 AM
e

Dec. 02 2011 11:51 AM
Mariah from Jersey Shore

My friend who said that the dot.com boom was comparable to what's happening now. Are you kidding me? Read a newspaper.

Dec. 02 2011 11:50 AM
Robert from NYC

Are you kidding me? Are people still saying, "Are you kidding me?" After the past 10 years of nothing but sleaze, stupidity, ignorance (think Michele Bachmann), and barrel bottom scraping politicians you're still surprised!! Are you kidding me?

Dec. 02 2011 11:50 AM
Pamela feiring from manhattan

The Republican suggestions that taxes can be raised on the wealthy by way of a box they can check on their tax return in order to opt in or out!

Dec. 02 2011 11:48 AM
Shannon from UES

We have to spend another election cycle having a debate over a "nuclear" Iran! Are you kidding me? Haven't enough people died already, we need to STAY OUT OF IT.

Dec. 02 2011 11:47 AM

Congress can legally commit insider trading involving companies on which they are legislating? Are you kidding me?!

Dec. 02 2011 11:47 AM
The Truth from Becky

newt gingrich running for President. Are you kidding me??!

Dec. 02 2011 11:45 AM
Morgan from Manhattan

Two days ago Bloomberg News uncovers a 7.7 Trillion dollar secret loan to the banks and yesterday we learn about congressional insider trading. With the revolving door between government and corporations, its no wonder how the working people are getting reamed.

Dec. 02 2011 11:44 AM
Shawn from Manhattan

The senate last night passed the National Defense Authorization Act which amongst other things, will allow the US military to patrol the streets of the United States and arrest anyone they suspect of being or aiding a terrorist. They will be allowed to detain indefinitely without trial any American citizen for whatever secret reason they want. No one in the media is covering this. This is an attack on our civil liberties and MUST be vetoed by president Obama.

Dec. 02 2011 11:37 AM
JAE from NJ

This morning's headline from Business Insider: Food Stamps Can Now Be Used To Buy Starbucks Coffee And Muffins
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/foodstamps-can-now-be-used-to-buy-starbucks-cfrappuccinos-and-muffins-2011-12#ixzz1fOZC4kE0
Although restrictions prevent the card from being used to purchase hot food or anything that is pre-prepared, people can purchase sweets, soft drinks, and even energy drinks if they have a nutritional label.

Dec. 02 2011 11:27 AM
oscar from ny

Some countries want to start ww3 because theyre afraid that iran will develop a nuclear bomb and destroy america...are you kidding me??? What??, theyre gonna dump a nuclear war head in where??..hells kitchen?..bushwick??..no wait a minute chelseaaa...or better yet..how about those old folks in upper east or west...come onnnnn ppl!!

Dec. 02 2011 11:21 AM
Roberta from Brooklyn

In a talk at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said: “If I had the ability to just design the system and say ex cathedra this is what we’re going to do you would cut the number of teachers in half and weed out all the bad ones. And double the class size with a better teacher is a good deal for the students."
<http://www.nytimes.com/schoolbook/2011/12/02/bloomberg-says-large-classes-are-fine-by-him/>

My daughter has 34 kids (union contract maximum) in all her academic classes (68 in gym). Where would they put 68 kids in AP Chemistry lab?

What is wrong with this man?

Dec. 02 2011 10:03 AM
Ed from Larchmont

The Administration is using diplomatic forec to promote homosexuality and abortion, its social agenda, in Africa and in other countries that don't want it. Is this the role of the US State Department? Are you kidding me?

Dec. 02 2011 09:12 AM