Harlem Bike Lanes

Monday, November 28, 2011

Director of the Transportation Nation project and senior correspondent for WNYC, Andrea Bernstein talks about Harlem's bike lanes.

Andrea Bernstein
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

cargobikemom from CT

I used to teach school in East Harlem and I would have loved a bike network to connect my residence to my work. I remember the days I stood at bus stops or worried when I would miss a bus... I hope the neighborhood reconsiders, what a great way to bridge the ethnic gap that exists between the upper eastside and the upper-upper eastside. :)

Nov. 28 2011 08:27 PM
Stu from UES

Let's work with the safety, and put our cars in an area where the pedestrians and bikes are not.

Ironic that guys who sell fattening burgers and pizza are playing the asthma card to oppose bike lanes. I guess preserving a couple of parking spaces is more important than moral integrity. Shame on Patsy's Pizza and Milk Burger.

Nov. 28 2011 11:35 AM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

That's hilarious - a local pizza place needing parking, and therefore trying to thwart the bike lanes. How many New Yorkers (especially Manhattanites) would drive to a pizza place?

It's sad when community groups cave to businesses like this, and ditto in regards to the Hasidic community lobbying to remove bike lanes in Williamsburg, and the city caving to their demands. The Bedford and Throop Avenue bike lanes are hugely populated with bike commuters of all stripes, and the reason behind the removal is a complete sham.

Nov. 28 2011 10:50 AM
jonas from nyc

Many if not most bicycle deliverers are Latinos. It's not surprising at all that Latinos as a group would favor bike lanes.

Nov. 28 2011 10:49 AM
Chris from Brooklyn, but often in Spanish Harlem

While I'm a huge fan of bike lanes, why isn't the east side focusing on having that area right next to the river made better for bicycles? There's a long area beside the FDR, but it's limited access, broken up by the FDR and bridges and other obstacles.

Really, let's work with the geography, and put our bikes in an area where cars are not.

Nov. 28 2011 10:48 AM
Sebastian from upper west side

I'm a major major fan of Patsy's. They've been on 1st Ave and 118th street for decades - starting from when East Harlem was an Italian neighborhood (note that Rao's is also in East Harlem). I can't believe that Patsy's opposes the bike lane based on parking. Cops come from near and far to chow down at Patsy's and you can always count on double parking because you're almost always bound to be doubled parked behind or in front of a cop car.

Nov. 28 2011 10:47 AM
jonas from nyc

I would think that Latinos favor bike lanes because many if not most bicycle deliverers are Latinos.

Nov. 28 2011 10:46 AM

certain groups are so powerful they can remove bike lanes

Nov. 28 2011 10:43 AM