Thanksgiving Conversation Starters

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

We run through a few stories that might get the conversation going at your Thanksgiving table. We'll hear from three guests...

• Tom Moran, columnist for The Star-Ledger, on how some NJ execs avoid taxes.
  • Alice Park, reporter for TIME Magazine, on why anxiety is bad for us...but how it may be good.
  • Stephen Dubner, host of Freakonomics, on the nature of momentum in the NFL.

And then...

Open Phones: Your suggestions for topics you plan to bring up at the dinner table.

Tom Moran

Ed from Larchmont

We're Catholic so we'll talk about the Holy Faher's trip to Africa and what he said, we'll talk about the new English Mass translation, and new appointments of bishops in the U.S.

Nov. 25 2011 06:10 AM
Maria from Manhattan

I think the subject from yesterday (teachers that you really appreciate) would be a good one and an upbeat one, and yes, I LOVE the idea that one caller just had about hearing older family history.

I was always conscious of the sad fact that our older relatives won't always be with us and I valued hearing their stories, but I'm especially aware since losing my Mom a few years back how I've lost access to all of her memories, and stories and what she recalls of my grandparents and great-grandparents. (My Mom was an only child, as am I, and so her passing has left a huge void in this way, as well as so many others.)

Nov. 23 2011 11:40 AM
Yvonne from New York

Along with stuffin' muffins, I bringing and announcement - DO NOT TEXT ME UNLESS IT'S IMPORTANT. It's costly.

Nov. 23 2011 11:39 AM
Dano from Kearny, NJ

I'm bringing a repair manual for my wife to read so she can tune up the snow blower we got her last Christmas.
Best to be ready foer the coming snow!

Nov. 23 2011 11:36 AM
mk

i am going to bring a smile--i am looking forward to the time off!

Nov. 23 2011 11:36 AM
Yosif from Manhattan

I'm a Knicks and Mets fan, so I am grateful for also being a Patriots fan. I am so thankful for Gronkowski and Brady and Bellicheck and Welker and Hernandez.

Nov. 23 2011 11:36 AM
Jake from Jersey City

I'm going to try convince my sister to go see the Muppet movie over Twilight.

Nov. 23 2011 11:34 AM
Lucy from Croton on hudson

My family thanksgiving has 3 generations of family members. We are all on the same page when it comes to politics and quite frankly it can become quite boring after a while. A great icebreaker for us has been playing games such as apples to apples or Taboo. The younger (20 somethings) and elder (90s and 80s) really have Great time.

Nov. 23 2011 11:33 AM
Michal from NYC

The new Muppet movie, of course. Appropriate to unlikely reunions, and their resulting songs and dances.

Nov. 23 2011 11:31 AM
sandra from LES

I need a quick answer for the awkward perennial question "How is the Big City?"

Nov. 23 2011 11:30 AM
fuva from Harlemworld

"Hot streaks" can deliver better results because the now confident player will shoot more than she otherwise would have, and therefore score more.

Nov. 23 2011 11:27 AM
Fran from NJ

Why Gov. Christy wouldn't take the action and bring this money to the State then with the extra revenue give a tax cut to the companies so they could invest and hire more workers?
It's a win win game!!

Nov. 23 2011 11:26 AM
Larry from Williamsburg

There's not much new here about the benefits of anxiety. The benefits of anxiety on performance was described by Yerkes & Dodson back in 1908. The Yerkes-Dodson law describes how intermediate levels of anxiety are best- too little or too much is detrimental.

Nov. 23 2011 11:19 AM
Tammi from NYC

Not to pick on you Brian, BUT, your comment about how now Black Friday starts Thursday evening and the poor people who have to go to work after Thanksgiving dinner. In the spirit of OWS, high unemployment rates, people out of work-don't you maybe think they are lucky to have a job and no one is a "poor thing" because they have to go to work. They have a choice as we know. Someone else would jump on the job.

Nov. 23 2011 11:19 AM
newyorker from new york

another example of greed: CEOs willing to inconvenient themselves and family to save more. so much for their willing to pay taxes. should we rely on them to pay fair salaries, reasonable benefits & stability to their employes?

Nov. 23 2011 11:14 AM