Irene at the Holiday Table

Friday, November 18, 2011

DNAinfo reporter and producer Mary Johnson talks to Dan Kluger, executive chef for ABC Kitchen, about which Thanksgiving foods are still available at local farmers' markets, after the devastation of Irene.

Listeners: What's your favorite winter vegetable? Let us know, and how you prepare it!

Mary Johnson and Dan Kluger

Mimi from Staten Island

I'll be having a true harvest dinner with turkey mole and butternut squash souffle. My veggies come from my own little backyard organic garden right here in Staten Island. Many vegetable plants are still producing, while others, like garlic and butternut squash, were picked earlier in the year, but keep for months. Snap peas, lettuce, arugula and kale love the cool weather and are thriving. And I have a bumper crop of tomatillos and hot peppers, great for the mole and green salsa.

Nov. 18 2011 06:38 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally down with all of that is "local" - the politics, the economics... lot's of reading only buy at the green markets etc...

However, could we please discuss how much some of this stuff costs??

Nov. 18 2011 12:03 PM

Dickson's at the Chelsea Market brings in a terrific Amish turkey from Pennsylvania.

Nov. 18 2011 11:57 AM

Recently relocated from NYC to Tennessee and have been shopping at the local markets. Totally surprised to find much less variety in what's available and shorter season. Even during the height of the season nothing compared with what I could find not only at Union Square but at any of the satellite markets in local neighborhoods. I could purchase from the markets year round but down here the local season is mostly over.

Nov. 18 2011 11:57 AM

Love the kale, these days!!

Nov. 18 2011 11:55 AM
Gwen from Tribeca

We're picking up our turkey from the farmer's market on Saturday and our ham from New Amsterdam Market from the amazing purveyor Brooklyn Cured. All veggies will come from Union Square on Wednesday. Local is easy. Go for it!

Nov. 18 2011 11:55 AM
Jack from NYC

What is considered "local"

Nov. 18 2011 11:55 AM
Rick Evans from 10473

There are plenty of locally raised free range turkeys in Staten Island.

Nov. 18 2011 11:53 AM